Why after today has Mancini lost the fans?

Prestwich_Blue said:
moomba said:
It's less than I would have hoped for...
Therefore not satisfactory.

Not sure I would put it that way.

Every club in the world will have had a period this year where results didn't meet expectations.

Jim Tolmie's Underpants said:
Good article - sums Mancini up for me:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8394317/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-could-cost-club-Champions-League-place-with-caution-in-Chelsea-defeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... efeat.html</a>

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini could cost club Champions League place with caution in Chelsea defeat

On 77 minutes, Roberto Mancini summed up Manchester City’s approach and the difference between these two sides.

His substitutes were warming up and he sent assistant Brian Kidd to call one over. The game was goalless and there to be won — would he call on a striker and go for it? Mario Balotelli pointed at his chest, hoping he would be the one. Mancini shook his head and asked for defender Dedryck Boyata.

Before the change could be made, City were a goal behind and it was a Chelsea defender who scored it, the new cult hero that is David Luiz, heading home a free-kick. Not unexpected — central defenders are supposed to get on the end of such attacking positions — except Luiz had won the kick, deep out on the edge of the City penalty area. But what was he doing out there in the first place? He was there because he had decided to try to win this match.

Once behind, Mancini did throw on Balotelli and Adam Johnson but it was too late. The game was up.

“We were ready to change when we conceded the goal,” Mancini said, concerned that City were struggling to gain a foothold of possession. But that change was to be a defensive one. City were not going to go for it and they paid the price. It was all the more galling as Luiz is a player they decided not to bid for.

City were well beaten when Ramires scored a wonderful second goal deep into injury time to add a gloss to the result which saw Chelsea overhaul their opponents and move into third place. The result will also add impetus to Tottenham Hotspur’s hopes of finishing fourth, and they now appear to be in a head-to-head battle with City, just as they were last season.

And, just as they were last season, it may also come to down a meeting between the two, still to be scheduled, at Eastlands. Fail to finish in those Champions League places, the minimum requirement for Mancini, and it’s difficult to see him remaining beyond this campaign.

But such is City’s poor run of form, having crashed out of the Europa League in midweek, that they appear to be in a downward trajectory. They have just eight points from their last seven matches in the business end of the season and they have not won away from home since Boxing Day. In the absence of the injured Carlos Tévez, they appear more than ever to be a one-man team, which is ridiculous given the money spent.

They also play the same way. Always. Be it against Reading in the FA Cup, Dynamo Kiev in Europe or Chelsea away. There is no variety, no tactical innovation, no boldness. Mancini again blamed fatigue yesterday but that’s not an excuse which can be acceptable. “Had we won it would have been fantastic,” Mancini said. But first they had to try to win.

There should be greater ambition at such an ambitious club. Mancini will now hope that the tear to Tévez’s adductor muscle is quickly healed. The prognosis is two to three weeks but he desperately needs his captain for the home match against Sunderland on April 3. He also needs to get far more out of Balotelli — a £24 million signing — and the £27 million recruit Edin Dzeko. These are concerning times for Mancini. Even if he gains that fourth place he can count himself fortunate if he is not replaced for the next campaign. His innate caution may be his downfall.

Do NOT let the press manage our club.

We are 3/4 of the way into a season where we would always be in a stage of development one way or another.

Whatever happens this season, Mancini will know where we are weak and where we are strong, and will react accordingly.

If we are in this position next season, then i will understand the cause for concern.

Mancini has given too much respect to the better London Clubs when we're away from home. It's been defend defend defend.

Spurs battered us on the first day of the season with too many shots hitting the bar and heroics from Hart in goal. Arsenal also dominated throughout in January. Chelsea was going the same way (City earning a 0-0 draw) yet they made good substitutions and won the game.

I want to see City have a go at good sides. Take them on.

awest said:
It was Chalsea away so a point would have been good enough. I must admit there has been a huge sway of supporters who have turned against him on all the boards and radio phone-inns.

What was the final straw?

Some of us were saying he should have gone last summer - in fact some of us were wondering why he came at all. And we were lambasted for being disloyal and 'rags'.

The football we play is dire,turgid crap - always for 70 mins and sometimes for the full 90! The ball goes perpetually sideways or backwards and on the odd occasion it does go forward they dont know what to do because they're isolated.
We play a 6'4" centre forward without wingers. We've got fullbacks who cant cross (and one who cant defend). We play a 5'5" striker when we do play wingers....................AM I THE ONLY ONE GETTING BLOODY ANGRY - IS ANYONE FRIGGING LISTENING?!

The players dont like the style/system or in fact the manager himself. They dont look happy and dont play as a team. There's no buzz in the stadium and no soul about the place.

What an interesting conundrum the battle rages on bluemoon re mancini in/out. Yet at the Sunderland game I still think we will hear 40,000 cheering his name. I know the club come on here but I hope they listen more to the fans at the matches.

Kris_Musampa said:
Jim Tolmie's Underpants said:
Good article - sums Mancini up for me:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8394317/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-could-cost-club-Champions-League-place-with-caution-in-Chelsea-defeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... efeat.html</a>

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini could cost club Champions League place with caution in Chelsea defeat

On 77 minutes, Roberto Mancini summed up Manchester City’s approach and the difference between these two sides.

His substitutes were warming up and he sent assistant Brian Kidd to call one over. The game was goalless and there to be won — would he call on a striker and go for it? Mario Balotelli pointed at his chest, hoping he would be the one. Mancini shook his head and asked for defender Dedryck Boyata.

Before the change could be made, City were a goal behind and it was a Chelsea defender who scored it, the new cult hero that is David Luiz, heading home a free-kick. Not unexpected — central defenders are supposed to get on the end of such attacking positions — except Luiz had won the kick, deep out on the edge of the City penalty area. But what was he doing out there in the first place? He was there because he had decided to try to win this match.

Once behind, Mancini did throw on Balotelli and Adam Johnson but it was too late. The game was up.

“We were ready to change when we conceded the goal,” Mancini said, concerned that City were struggling to gain a foothold of possession. But that change was to be a defensive one. City were not going to go for it and they paid the price. It was all the more galling as Luiz is a player they decided not to bid for.

City were well beaten when Ramires scored a wonderful second goal deep into injury time to add a gloss to the result which saw Chelsea overhaul their opponents and move into third place. The result will also add impetus to Tottenham Hotspur’s hopes of finishing fourth, and they now appear to be in a head-to-head battle with City, just as they were last season.

And, just as they were last season, it may also come to down a meeting between the two, still to be scheduled, at Eastlands. Fail to finish in those Champions League places, the minimum requirement for Mancini, and it’s difficult to see him remaining beyond this campaign.

But such is City’s poor run of form, having crashed out of the Europa League in midweek, that they appear to be in a downward trajectory. They have just eight points from their last seven matches in the business end of the season and they have not won away from home since Boxing Day. In the absence of the injured Carlos Tévez, they appear more than ever to be a one-man team, which is ridiculous given the money spent.

They also play the same way. Always. Be it against Reading in the FA Cup, Dynamo Kiev in Europe or Chelsea away. There is no variety, no tactical innovation, no boldness. Mancini again blamed fatigue yesterday but that’s not an excuse which can be acceptable. “Had we won it would have been fantastic,” Mancini said. But first they had to try to win.

There should be greater ambition at such an ambitious club. Mancini will now hope that the tear to Tévez’s adductor muscle is quickly healed. The prognosis is two to three weeks but he desperately needs his captain for the home match against Sunderland on April 3. He also needs to get far more out of Balotelli — a £24 million signing — and the £27 million recruit Edin Dzeko. These are concerning times for Mancini. Even if he gains that fourth place he can count himself fortunate if he is not replaced for the next campaign. His innate caution may be his downfall.

Do NOT let the press manage our club.

We are 3/4 of the way into a season where we would always be in a stage of development one way or another.

Whatever happens this season, Mancini will know where we are weak and where we are strong, and will react accordingly.

If we are in this position next season, then i will understand the cause for concern.

Oh for gods sake get a grip - its not the players, its the soddin negative style they're being forced to play. Whatever personel he brings in next Season he wont change his philosophy. Do we really want to watch sideways football again next season? I hate this 'style' - THIS ISNT HOW CITY PLAY! its not how we made our name.

the problem is he,s got to change his italian style fooball ,its ok against teams that play that style but its england and we dont,benitez played the spanish way at dipperpool,it did,nt work,the tinkerman at chelski played the italian way it did,nt work and spurs last manager(before rednap) tried to play continental football and he nearly got them relegated.mancini HAS to change his style and stop being a stubborn bastard or he,s gone,we have some of the best players in the world and we play like shit...... I want him to suceed I like the guy, but CITY come first

I've been a big supporter of Bobby and think the building form the back and being hard to beat is a good place to start but I expected the team to advance from that position and they really haven't. Have they had enough time, should we be expecting more? I'm at the point where I think they should have. We've spent a lot of money and have a strong squad in many ways but the truth is that we have not spent the money as effectively as we should have. We should have bought Luiz not Boateng and we might never have got Torres but he will probably end up outshining Dzeko (as he should at twice the price. The squad lacks pace, creativity and balance; not all Bobby's fault but he hasn't driven through the changes that we needed on that front.

The season isn't over yet though and, until it is, Bobby has at least nine opportunities to prove that he can deliver a decent season.

I'm getting to the point now where I really don't give a f*** - and I say that as a City supporter of 34 years. I like(d) Mancini - as an antidote to Hughes. Have to say the football is boring beyond belief but I wouldn't mind if we were winning.

moomba said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Therefore not satisfactory.

Not sure I would put it that way.

Every club in the world will have had a period this year where results didn't meet expectations.
You're a pretty level-headed guy and don't get carried away with the sort of "We should be beating teams like that 5-0" thinking that we sometimes get on here. Of course every team, even the best, will probably go through a sticky patch of some sort during the season. That's why it can be dangerous to look at a run of a few games in isolation so I've actually compiled an 8-game rolling points total over this season.

That shows that 11 points from the last 8 games is our worst 8-game rolling points total of the season, at a time when we should be racking up the points for the run-in. Instead, we're showing the sort of form that teams making a decent fist of trying to battle relegation (such as Wolves & West Ham) are showing.

To get 4th we will need at least 17 points from the last 8 games. We've only hit that sort of form with any sort of consistency in the run-up to Xmas and that was mainly thanks to 3 home games - against Villa, Blackpool & Wolves, who are all relegation candidates. This means we can only afford to lose 2 of the final 8 games which include 2 trips to Merseyside, a visit from Spurs and a trip to Bolton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.