Why are Africans such poor footballers?

Watching Cameroon is one of the high lights of the world cup for me, Cameroon play the game with a smile, and the African cup of nations can throw up great games as-well, It's not the ultra defencive crap we are used to in Europe, Football is Football, not colour or creed.

i think we all know there are a fair few class african players, comparatively i'd say there is'nt much difference in terms of quality between us. just think of how the majority of africans live and how much spare time and luxury we have in comparison, of course we should be better by a majority due to our basic advantages in life to allow us to be, but talent is talent regardless and if a country has more money to nurture that talent then what do we expect.

lets change direction a little. any suggestions of current african players who'd replace the england starting line up

don't know a great deal of them but surely essien would get in ahead of barry (sorry) drogba and eto, fill in the blanks if there are any

lee-mcfc said:
bluddy hell is this thread STILL going on?!

Yep, Zidane, Eusebio, Jay Jay Ocacha and Milla were not Classic play makers, Yaya Toure does not have the ability to become one.

Marc Vivien Foe wasn't much cop either, as a playmaker. Apparently we are looking for the definitive African playmaker who also plays for an African country, to rank alongside Pele, Gerson, Maradona,
Zidane (Algerian doesn't count) Cruyff, Charlton, Ardiles, Antognoni, Mattheus, Rivaldo, Pirlo. No and we won't I suppose until another African such as Zidane wins the World Cup playing for his country of birth or parental birth.

NICKS BACK said:
lee-mcfc said:
bluddy hell is this thread STILL going on?!

Yep, Zidane, Eusebio, Jay Jay Ocacha and Milla were not Classic play makers, Yaya Toure does not have the ability to become one.

Marc Vivien Foe wasn't much cop either, as a playmaker. Apparently we are looking for the definitive African playmaker who also plays for an African country, to rank alongside Pele, Gerson, Maradona,
Zidane (Algerian doesn't count) Cruyff, Charlton, Ardiles, Antognoni, Mattheus, Rivaldo, Pirlo. No and we won't I suppose until another African such as Zidane wins the World Cup playing for his country of birth or parental birth.

If you're really lucky you might get a nice PM like I did. see:

You are really below my standard of intelligence. Your spelling and semantics are piss-poor. Please don't ever try and engage a debate with me ever again. You are a clown of the highest order. I am bewildered that such a idiot is associated with my club. I feel sorry for you. Please don't reply.

I didn't reply.

Well, the title is misleading, if you want to talk about technique and skill, you should mention that.
Why are Africans such poor footballers? is bound to upset people, especially in a time where more and more African footballers are featuring in most of the best teams in Europe.

I am African btw, by heritage. In the list of players that nashark had put as the exception, we will have to strike Drogba off of that list, because although he plays for Ivory Coast, he is basically a Parisian, he grew up in France. I think Drogba can do some amazing stuff on the ball, however, he is clumsy at times, I wouldn't reference him specifically for his technical ability, even though he has done some audacious stuff.

Again you chose the wrong words to express what you are feeling, the same complaints are leveled at England. Dunga insisted that if England want to do well they are going to have to learn how to dribble, when you think of the technical players in the England squad, I'd go for J.Cole and Rooney, who else? I don't think any of the other players are really skillful.

I don't get your assessment of Essien, Chelsea don't miss Essien because of what he does off the ball, it's not that we miss a ball winner, that will be easier to replace. Essien is great because he picks up the ball in the middle of the park and drives through the centre of the team with the ball at his feet, and most players find that the most difficult thing to do as a player, so they go to wide areas that are less congested, that is why players like Kaka and Essien who attack through the middle are so valuable.
I really fail to understand your assessment of poor footballing players, is Essien poor with the ball compared to Barry or Lampard? I don't understand.

But, even if we are getting into, Africa haven't many really gifted technical players. as compared to Europe, again you are wrong, I don't have to bring up Okocha or retired players, I think it's just that you don't know much about African football, or footballers.

Ibrahim
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vibk3UUKM-I[/youtube]

Obasi - Skip to about 2 minutes there is some pointless stuff at the beginning.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK_L_XTXILQ[/youtube]

Sessegnon
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSQIPg8pKU[/youtube]

Treka
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C876J3sZTvI[/youtube]

Zidan
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMRJ6MI9AlU[/youtube]

Algeria
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKltgMRXF_o[/youtube]

I can honestly go on, I was going to go through about 7 nations, and put a video of their most skillful players, I'll continue on if the OP member wants to see more, this is a whole continent, I get to pick from.

nashark said:
How can anyone say Essien is worldclass with the ball at his feet? He is there to do a job when Chelsea have not got the ball and once again, is average on the ball. Eto may be an exception. Any others who have been are simply average, perhaps decent, not world class.
Essien not world class?? WTF? Fucking tool

A quick mash up of the non-footballing Super eagles. lol.

Nigeria
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9t4YvSnBB0[/youtube]

nashark said:
There seems to be a trend. The majority of Africans are not good footballers.

NB: Footballer can be defined as having good feet, with a good first touch. Also, footballer is different from player. Player refers to the overall performance.

There are only a few exceptions. Drogba, Okocha and Kanu seem to be these. I can't really think of any more. Africans are predominantly big and fast, with average feet. The idea for the thread came after sheer despondency at the footballing ability of Kolo Toure, Salif Diao, Mamadou Sidibe and Adebayor to an extent (even though he is tall). Once again, why are Africans such poor footballers?

what crap

nashark said:
There seems to be a trend. The majority of Africans are not good footballers.
So where exactly are you from, dickbrain? Other than the goalkeeper, you could easily pick a World X1 of African born players who could beat any team in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.