Why are Africans such poor footballers?

jus2nang (gooner) said:
nashark said:
Can we name an African playmaker who is a household name?

Well in England, people tend not to take an interest in African football, but (sticking to 1 per nation) :

Egypt : Mohamed Abou Treika
Guinea : Pascal Feindouno
Cote d'Ivoire : Didier Ya Konan
Ghana : Kwadwo Asamoah
South Africa : Stephen Pienaar
Cameroon : Achille Emana
Angola : Maurito (more of a winger really)
Burkina Faso : Jonathan Pitroipa

They're all good on the ball. Better on the ball than the likes of Gerrard (who is quite stiff and square, though an awesome player), Lee Catermole, Gavin McCann and most other English midfielders...

Whether they are powerful or not is neither here nor there, they are technically gifted.

Spot on, that man.

Zidan and Barakat of Egypt are also highly gifted players.

jus2nang (gooner) said:
nashark said:
Can we name an African playmaker who is a household name?

Well in England, people tend not to take an interest in African football, but (sticking to 1 per nation) :

They're all good on the ball. Better on the ball than the likes of Gerrard (who is quite stiff and square, though an awesome player), Lee Catermole, Gavin McCann and most other English midfielders...

Whether they are powerful or not is neither here nor there, they are technically gifted.

That is the closest anyone has got to disproving my argument. I would disagree about Gerrard, but that's simply opinion. I wonder why these footballers are not really announced on the world stage. They are hardly household names! I think it is fair to say that there is a dearth in(on the ball) talent from players coached in Africa.

The reason I chose Africa is because there are some world-class players there eg. Essien, Toure who are not brilliant on the ball. Continents like Asia and North America are just poor players overall (I am sorry if I offended you). I must be extremely naive to think that saying something bad about a majority and then ask why would offend so many. For fuck sake, I meant no offense, yet so many soft cunts are getting wound up because I mentioned Africa.

Lionheart is an embarrassment to men.

NICKS BACK said:
lee-mcfc said:
bluddy hell is this thread STILL going on?!

Yep, Zidane, Eusebio, Jay Jay Ocacha and Milla were not Classic play makers, Yaya Toure does not have the ability to become one.

Marc Vivien Foe wasn't much cop either, as a playmaker. Apparently we are looking for the definitive African playmaker who also plays for an African country, to rank alongside Pele, Gerson, Maradona,
Zidane (Algerian doesn't count) Cruyff, Charlton, Ardiles, Antognoni, Mattheus, Rivaldo, Pirlo. No and we won't I suppose until another African such as Zidane wins the World Cup playing for his country of birth or parental birth.

For the last time, I mentioned Okocha as a great player. The rest did not play for Africa. By the way, Toure is clumsy on the ball as was Foe (very much so).

nashark said:
jus2nang (gooner) said:

That is the closest anyone has got to disproving my argument. I would disagree about Gerrard, but that's simply opinion. I wonder why these footballers are not really announced on the world stage. They are hardly household names! I think it is fair to say that there is a dearth in(on the ball) talent from players coached in Africa.

The reason I chose Africa is because there are some world-class players there eg. Essien, Toure who are not brilliant on the ball. Continents like Asia and North America are just poor players overall (I am sorry if I offended you). I must be extremely naive to think that saying something bad about a majority and then ask why would offend so many. For fuck sake, I meant no offense, yet so many soft ***** are getting wound up because I mentioned Africa.

Lionheart is an embarrassment to men.

So if he was a woman it would be okay to be offended by what he percieves as a racist generalisation?
Isnt that sexist?
I dont even know if I'm joking or not. Its a part of modern life that confuses and divides people - racism, sexism, or in PDC's case, polital-correctness gone mad (zzzzzz). These are contentious, divisive and very emotive issues where there are very few easy definitive answers.
So what to do? Hmmm its a tricky one but a start at least would be a recognisation from everyone -regardless of their viewpoints - that to post something entitled ''Why are Africans such poor footballers?' is not really a wise choice. That to do so - in the certain knowledge that it will rile and offend fellow blues - is a dumb and immature decision.

A similar example regarding myself -
I happen to believe that women are not very good at stand-up comedy. Comedy acting sure but with a mic.....the majority are just not funny. And I could back this claim up with facts (like you believe you have) such as how few female comics are succeeding out there in comparison to male comedians. And then contrast that with how women proportionately outnumber men in this country.
But I realize this viewpoint - no matter how sincerely felt it is - is sexist.
So I wouldnt, for example, post this opinion on a forum predominantly viewed by women because -
a/ I wouldnt want to purposely offend strangers (why would I want to do that?)
and b/ I wouldnt want to attract lots of flak.

nashark said:
That is the closest anyone has got to disproving my argument.

Although it's not really an argument is it ? It's an opinion...one which you're entitled to but many disagree with. By using the word 'disprove' you are suggesting that you've acutally proved something to begin with...you haven't.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1242055/The-List-The-50-best-African-players-history.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... story.html</a>

Pele predicted an African nation would win the World Cup by the year 2000. That didn't happen, but stars from the continent have nevertheless thrilled for decades.
And with the Africa Cup of Nations underway in Angola, the latest episode of The List trumpets the greatest players from the continent in history.
From Ghana's Abedi Pele to 'King' George Weah, Africans have wowed the world with their pace, dazzling ball control and athleticism.
Week after week we toil over our selections, and like nothing more than hearing your thoughts.

As a caveat for the eagle-eyed out there, Mozambique-born Portuguese legend Eusebio does not feature as our List only concerns those born in Africa who played for an African nation.

Obviously from the highlighted sentence you can see that this particular sports writer disagrees with your statement. It's all just a matter of opinion.

Take a look at the link to see what he considers to be 50 great African players !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.