Why are Africans such poor footballers?

The OP already answered his own question when he said it excludes players who moved to Europe when they were about 10yrs old. That obviously goes to show that the footballing leagues, facilities, coaching and overall standards are higher in Europe. Why ? Well obviously the majority of African countries are still developing nations so don't have access to the the kind of facilities that European countries do.

What I don't understand is why the OP has singled out African players ? I would argue that the African continent produces much better players than North America or Asia.

ZINADINE ZIDANE
GEORGE WEAH
MICHAEL ESSIEN
EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR

for a start...

nashark said:
There seems to be a trend. The majority of Africans are not good footballers.

NB: Footballer can be defined as having good feet, with a good first touch. Also, footballer is different from player. Player refers to the overall performance.

There are only a few exceptions. Drogba, Okocha and Kanu seem to be these. I can't really think of any more. Africans are predominantly big and fast, with average feet. The idea for the thread came after sheer despondency at the footballing ability of Kolo Toure, Salif Diao, Mamadou Sidibe and Adebayor to an extent (even though he is tall). Once again, why are Africans such poor footballers?

nashark said:
There seems to be a trend. The majority of Africans are not good footballers.

NB: Footballer can be defined as having good feet, with a good first touch. Also, footballer is different from player. Player refers to the overall performance.

There are only a few exceptions. Drogba, Okocha and Kanu seem to be these. I can't really think of any more. Africans are predominantly big and fast, with average feet. The idea for the thread came after sheer despondency at the footballing ability of Kolo Toure, Salif Diao, Mamadou Sidibe and Adebayor to an extent (even though he is tall). Once again, why are Africans such poor footballers?

Marc Vivien Foe was a class footballer!!

This thread is despicably racist, can't believe the mods haven't deleted it yet.

Does the OP not realise that saying anything derogatory about Africa is racist?

Stick to criticising white people please or else I'm sure you'll be banned.

pee dubyas crayons said:
This thread is despicably racist, can't believe the mods haven't deleted it yet. Does the OP not realise that saying anything derogatory about Africa is racist?
Stick to criticising white people please or else I'm sure you'll be banned.
I wholeheartedly agree and did try to get Ric to delete this thread but he must have better thing to do.

nashark said:
Can we name an African playmaker who is a household name?

Well in England, people tend not to take an interest in African football, but (sticking to 1 per nation) :

Egypt : Mohamed Abou Treika
Guinea : Pascal Feindouno
Cote d'Ivoire : Didier Ya Konan
Ghana : Kwadwo Asamoah
South Africa : Stephen Pienaar
Cameroon : Achille Emana
Angola : Maurito (more of a winger really)
Burkina Faso : Jonathan Pitroipa

They're all good on the ball. Better on the ball than the likes of Gerrard (who is quite stiff and square, though an awesome player), Lee Catermole, Gavin McCann and most other English midfielders...

Whether they are powerful or not is neither here nor there, they are technically gifted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.