Why do you support Manchester City?

Actually was more into music when young than football. (Early 90's). Big fan of Inspiral Carpets and then Oasis and some of my "music friends" were big Blues.

So between Noel and Liam and my mates and Billy Duffy from the Cult (another band I was also big into) supporting City there was really no choice for me. Got really interested football just in time for Alan Ball in fact. Worked out nicely in the end, though :)

Ha. This thread makes for interesting reading for me. I've always been very insecure of myself as a City fan on this forum, probably as I started visiting in late 2007, when people were making comments along the lines of "I wouldn't like someone who came to the game and didn't speak with a Manc accent", when we first were becoming well-known internationally again and a lot of people were very uncertain about the fanbase keeping its Mancunian core. Being from Herts, where my parents moved after marrying in Cheadle Hulme (where my mum grew up) I felt like I wasn't sure I had enough Manc in me to entirely fit in. On reading this thread, though, I'm surprised that so many people cite favouring the club back in the 60s/70s coming from non-City families, or being a 2nd generation fan. As far as I'm aware, my family going back at least to my grandparents and probably further have always been City, though - I have a great-aunt in her 80s who is a season ticket holder, my mum was never a serious fan but grew up in a family where it was just natural to be blue etc. I even have a great-great-great-uncle or somesuch who was asked to trial for both City and the scum in the year 1914. Well, you can probably guess how that worked out.

My dad did support Everton - he took a liking to Howard Kendall back when they gave out player stickers with packets of cereal in the 60s, I believe - but he never made any attempt to pass it on to me. He pretty much switched his allegiance to City when I started attending matches a few years ago, anyway. Besides, my grandparents and aunts and uncles were sending me kits and City magazines from when I was a toddler. Growing up in Hertfordshire in the 90s as a City fan wasn't pretty though.

My dad made me. Born in the 70's, my whole family are City fans so I had no choice; taken to City games, never bought any red clothing, bought city kits, etc.. Although I like to think I would have picked them anyway of my own free will.

Falastur said:
Ha. This thread makes for interesting reading for me. I've always been very insecure of myself as a City fan on this forum, probably as I started visiting in late 2007, when people were making comments along the lines of "I wouldn't like someone who came to the game and didn't speak with a Manc accent", when we first were becoming well-known internationally again and a lot of people were very uncertain about the fanbase keeping its Mancunian core. Being from Herts, where my parents moved after marrying in Cheadle Hulme (where my mum grew up) I felt like I wasn't sure I had enough Manc in me to entirely fit in. On reading this thread, though, I'm surprised that so many people cite favouring the club back in the 60s/70s coming from non-City families, or being a 2nd generation fan. As far as I'm aware, my family going back at least to my grandparents and probably further have always been City, though - I have a great-aunt in her 80s who is a season ticket holder, my mum was never a serious fan but grew up in a family where it was just natural to be blue etc. I even have a great-great-great-uncle or somesuch who was asked to trial for both City and the scum in the year 1914. Well, you can probably guess how that worked out.

My dad did support Everton - he took a liking to Howard Kendall back when they gave out player stickers with packets of cereal in the 60s, I believe - but he never made any attempt to pass it on to me. He pretty much switched his allegiance to City when I started attending matches a few years ago, anyway. Besides, my grandparents and aunts and uncles were sending me kits and City magazines from when I was a toddler. Growing up in Hertfordshire in the 90s as a City fan wasn't pretty though.

Ha ha my Dad supported Everton as well - and I've converted him to the true faith from his wicked ways also. Though I do know to duck his e-mails when we drop points to them.

Dad's coming along well, though! He is now buying City shirts on his own (rather than me imposing them upon him.)

Der Bomber said:
Falastur said:

Ha ha my Dad supported Everton as well - and I've converted him to the true faith from his wicked ways also. Though I do know to duck his e-mails when we drop points to them.

Dad's coming along well, though! He is now buying City shirts on his own (rather than me imposing them upon him.)

I actually feel a little awkward about it personally. In spite of the fact that my dad never made any attempt to bring me up as an Everton fan - any attempt at all - I kind of feel like football fandom is supposed to be passed from father to son and while I am not embarrassed that I didn't follow his team, I do feel somewhat embarrassed that he decided to ditch his team for mine.

Falastur said:

My dad was a rag when I was a kid, mate. He's now a blue. Somehow we manage to do the right thing despite our parents, and they learn from us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.