Why do you support Manchester City?

First visit to maine rd as a 5 year old with my uncle 40 odd years ago, saw the flood lights felt the buzz but walking down the tunnel on the Kippax seeing the pitch glistening that was it, sons daughters and soon to be (hopefully tomorrow grand daughter) totally blue, thanks uncle Frank.

Grew up as one of a handful of blues in our school (in Altrincham so no surprises there really - don't hold it against me) Quote

Loads of blues in Alty,Broadheath and Broomwood especially,Navigation was a big blue pub 80s 90s

Was a junior blue before I was walking, blue family and even as a youngster I hated those smug cunts from Trafford

born and grew up in Northenden, Manchester. In Primary school my best mate was a Blue and we had a visit one day by the City coaching staff along with Peter Reid who held a training session with all of us

That was it the love affair began and many visits to Maine Road followed

I wanted to find a team in the mid-nineties, when I was in my early twenties and followed Forest for a season after they were promoted from Division 1. They finished third but my heart wasn't in it. I hated the Rags and had a mate that was a City fan so began to support them and have never looked back.

Prior to 2008 I had only ever seen City once, a pre-season friendly against Livingston and I'm sure Rosler and Quinn were up front and they won 6-0 (could be wrong). Best day of my life prior to 2013 was the play-off final which I watched in the Caley Sample Rooms in Edinburgh with three mates. There was hardly anyone else in the pub but there was a lad sat at the bar who had a Gillingham strip on under his jumper! I ran about the pub like a maniac when Dickov scored!

The 480 mile round trips started in 2008 when Mini Ledge turned 5 and we've been going down ever since and now have four seasoncards. Have to say I'm taking great pleasure taking the wee man and he's been to every game I've been to and has 1700 loyalty points - not bad for a nine-year-old that lives 240 miles away. My stepson did have a Rag top when I first moved in around 12 years ago but he soon changed his ways. I think Mrs Ledge is now a convert as well - on Thursday night she asked me to put the last ten minutes of the QPR game on!

Loving reading some of the stories on here and one thing I've learnt over the years is that you can love City and Manchester without being born and bred there. CTID.

Plastic glory hunting Yank here.

I started watching Premier League matches a few years ago after the last World Cup. I watched for two years before picking a club.

City and Ian Holloway's Blackpool squad played the most attractive football in my eyes. Blackpool got relegated, so I was unable to watch them any longer. City continued with their title run, and I couldn't stop watching the artistry of their attack.

I knew that City had an underdog mentality, and as an alumnus of Mississippi State, I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.

The way that City won the title cemented my support for the club. Coming back from an eight - point deficit in the table in the last few matches really impressed me.

This forum has been terrific for me to read, as I've gotten a much broader view of the club and its supporters. I especially enjoy hearing the stories of those of you who have been diehard Blues for decades.

I've only seen one match live - the 5-3 friendly vs Chelsea at Yankee Stadium, but I hope to travel to the Etihad Stadium in the next couple of years, like the Okie State alum who has posted in this thread.

I always get positive comments here in New York when I wear my 2012 away jersey (maroon is Mississippi State's primary color) or with my City ID lanyard at work, especially after a good derby victory.

Cheers.

Said before, born 62 grew up reading about Peter the great and Jobby Crossan. Only me and another lad at school supported City. At 16 we left and couple months later both started work in same place, both agreed with first weeks wages we would go and see City, that was about 78/79 and both of us been going ever since

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.