Why do you support Manchester City?

GratefulDawg said:
Plastic glory hunting Yank here.

I started watching Premier League matches a few years ago after the last World Cup. I watched for two years before picking a club.

City and Ian Holloway's Blackpool squad played the most attractive football in my eyes. Blackpool got relegated, so I was unable to watch them any longer. City continued with their title run, and I couldn't stop watching the artistry of their attack.

I knew that City had an underdog mentality, and as an alumnus of Mississippi State, I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.

The way that City won the title cemented my support for the club. Coming back from an eight - point deficit in the table in the last few matches really impressed me.

This forum has been terrific for me to read, as I've gotten a much broader view of the club and its supporters. I especially enjoy hearing the stories of those of you who have been diehard Blues for decades.

I've only seen one match live - the 5-3 friendly vs Chelsea at Yankee Stadium, but I hope to travel to the Etihad Stadium in the next couple of years, like the Okie State alum who has posted in this thread.

I always get positive comments here in New York when I wear my 2012 away jersey (maroon is Mississippi State's primary color) or with my City ID lanyard at work, especially after a good derby victory.

Cheers.
Welcome blue.

GratefulDawg said:
Plastic glory hunting Yank here.

I started watching Premier League matches a few years ago after the last World Cup. I watched for two years before picking a club.

City and Ian Holloway's Blackpool squad played the most attractive football in my eyes. Blackpool got relegated, so I was unable to watch them any longer. City continued with their title run, and I couldn't stop watching the artistry of their attack.

I knew that City had an underdog mentality, and as an alumnus of Mississippi State, I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.

The way that City won the title cemented my support for the club. Coming back from an eight - point deficit in the table in the last few matches really impressed me.

This forum has been terrific for me to read, as I've gotten a much broader view of the club and its supporters. I especially enjoy hearing the stories of those of you who have been diehard Blues for decades.

I've only seen one match live - the 5-3 friendly vs Chelsea at Yankee Stadium, but I hope to travel to the Etihad Stadium in the next couple of years, like the Okie State alum who has posted in this thread.

I always get positive comments here in New York when I wear my 2012 away jersey (maroon is Mississippi State's primary color) or with my City ID lanyard at work, especially after a good derby victory.

Cheers.

We seem to have picked up quite a few American fans over the last few years, it's heartening to read that most of them do seem to have the City mentality, you may not know it but you are born to support this club, you think you have a choice but you don't, if your of a certain make up, welcome aboard the roller coaster

Do try and make the journey over here sometime, it's a great City

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
As per thread title.

In my case all our side of the family were blues, my Dad went to the record breaking Stoke City cup game at Maine Road in '34 as a nipper, and he used to take me to Maine road to watch Bert, Waggy and Nelly as a kid....

Was it simply you were brought up as a blue, or is there some other reason?

My old fella- brought me up blue ,simple as that.
Born and bred gorton but he had 2 brothers who were reds-he used to say that they should be fucking ashamed of themselves , born and bred gortonians and they turned out reds !!

Dad started taking me to Maine Rd after we got promoted in 1999 been on the rollercoaster ride ever since. Wouldn't have it any other way, brought up in rag-infested Salford and had to endure relentless abuse for years. Only blue in my year during the whole of primary school but always kept the faith!

I guess it's just that underdog mentality which appealed to me. Makes me laugh how we suddenly went from everybody's second club to the enemy almost overnight. Its the fans that make this club and the great sense of humor which has sustained us throughout the years. This is what makes them particularly special to me and why I still support them till this day.

Started as a fan of the Italian national team and only watched the international game. Club football wasn't very readable here in the states until a few years ago. Was a big fan of Ricky Hatton cause he fought like a Philly fighter(born and raised). Had never heard of City at that point but was really blown away by his passion for City. Coming our to blue moon in the colors and half the crowd signing along was impressive. Never seen that kind of passion from the fans of any other sports team. It really peaked my interest. The PL just started getting airtime here so I started following. Figured I'd follow the league for a year and half to see what team got a hold of me(couldn't see that many games back then), but certainly had City in first from the start. Love the colors, loved the way the team played, loved the fan support the club receives on the road. Routinely out singing the opposition. Started really following City in 2009 and truly became a blue when NDJ Bruce Lee cross kicked Xabi. That totally won me over(call me demented). It didn't hurt that they are the arch rivals of the evil empire. Didn't realize that Sheik Mansour owned the club till later which would have been another reason to follow the club since a good friend of mine is close friends with his brother.

overseas Canuck fan here, but with no Manc roots whatsoever. hated all the brainfed-red rags that I met, especially the Asian ones. thought to myself never did feel any affection for the other big clubs. hate Roman Abramovich and Chelsea. hate Arsenal and hated Thierry Henry, who will go down forever as a cheat. had one hand-me-down rag kit that i managed to sell off easily to a fool, although a city fan on another blue forum suggested that i burn it; wasn't too keen on that idea though (giggle) and got rid of it fairly quickly. bought a lot of blue kits. so why not keep pledging my allegiance? and yes Thaksin and the takeover after and the fandom are all reasons. i was definitely impressed by all that black cash that was gonna be splashed around like it was loose change. the 6-1 just confirmed that City were the right choice but i wouldn't have winced about it if City didn't end up winning the title. still would have stuck with City if that QPR match had ended in embarrassment. call me a gloryhunter if you like for I have confessed now, but City have one of the greatest sets of footy fans in the world, if not the greatest. will make the pilgrimage over someday, probably to an expanded Etihad

M granddad had hundreds, if not thousands of programmes (unfortunately cobbed out when he passed away!!). When we visited, I always read them and was told stories of his and his 3 sons unwavered support of City. They followed them all over. Always took a leak up the Stretford End wall when they were passing...!!
I guess it was their influence that made me a blue. My dad was a closet red although he has now held a season card at City for 11 years since my father in law sadly passed away..!!
Brought up in Stretford with my close friend and other mates, it was surprising how many blues jumped on the 53 and 256 buses to Maine Road every week.
Went to my first game with my mums brother aged 10.
40 years and 38 season tickets later, we're still ere....!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.