Why do you support Manchester City?

My dad is from Manchester, saw them win the league in Newcastle, travelled the country watching City home and away. Then he left when he was 24 to go to Uni in Aberystwyth, his parents moved to Macclesfield and he never went back. My mother said he wasn't really into football, I guess a lot of the enjoyment for him was going to the match and getting pissed up with friends around the UK so being away from that he didn't really have the connection which I can understand in a world without wall to wall coverage of the game, no internet etc.

Anyway, when I started showing an interest in football around the 1998 world cup I wanted to support Leeds who were a cracking team at the time. My dad told me he would never take me to see them play, I didn't care really they were on the telly every other week. Anyway I don't know how it happened but I had a City shirt for Xmas in 1999 and I started to follow City a little bit but they were shit so I still supported Leeds. Then in 2001 my dad decided for the first time in maybe 30 years he was going to go back to Maine Road and he took me aged 9. We beat Rotherham 2-1 from 1-0 down with a screamer from Benarbia to seal the points. I thought fuck Leeds, this is the club for me I didn't care we were shit, I loved it.

And from that season on me and and my Dad have been making the trip from West Wales to watch city play 2-3 times a season. He got the bug back and is as passionate about the club as he was before he left Manchester. I have loved every second of being a City fan, it truly is a very special club.

Parents....cursed them for the first 35 years, not so much nowadays :) Moved south for Uni 20 years ago, still hold my SC...just have a 520 mile round trip now instead of what the parents have of 4 miles - jammy bastards.

foetus said:
I used to support Bayern until last night. Now I'm big, big city fan.
Ban this JCL **** ^^^

ps He's a bogan.

Started watching city okay in 08 and it seemed even with the with the riches we always have a underdog mentality and it just stuck with me. Even today it's a roller coaster ride every game and I love it lol... I have gone through so many finger nails it hurts to type lol but I have also had the best feeling in the world winning the league the way we did. Glad I came and definitely will always stay a blue!! CTID

I was introduced the to the game as a kid, twenty years ago while living in Naples, my father was in the US Navy. I took it for granted, and would only pay attention to the sport if a friend happened to have a copy of FIFA for Playstation sitting around.

I'm a black guy from the US. We're not "supposed" to like soccer. This point really isn't supposed to mean much, but that was my mentality.

Then came 2010. I decided that I wanted to take more interest in the game. The World Cup was coming to South Africa and I was beginning to pay attention. One morning I happened to be surfing the web and I came across this:

addycelebration.gif

"What the hell did he do to make those guys so angry?"

Long story short. That was the reason I started following the club. Of course I was called a glory hunter by United, Arsenal and Chelsea supporters (who all happened to only recently follow 'soccer' within the last decade themselves), but I stuck with it. Their commitment to my community here in DC, opening the new pitch for the kids was only a part of the reason why I love MCFC. The supporters have pride, but most of all, don't take themselves too seriously. They're honest with themselves. Everything that I would want to be affiliated with, and in fact with the local supporters group, Capital City Blues, I pay dues to support the club.

As we come into 2014, I'm obsessed with the game, I've even started playing pickup at the ripe old age of 30. I revolve my family life around it, and I've turned countless people here in the states on to it via Twitter (follow me, @boneystarks is the handle).

Thanks to the City supporters who have been with the club through the rough times, while I wasn't there, I admire your will, determination, and well..support. You have a Blue here in Washington DC, for life.

-Boney

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.