Wilfried Bony

Status
Not open for further replies.
He speaks four languages, has scored goals all across Europe and could have been a fashion designer... here's why Bony is Swansea's Daddy Cool
By RIATH AL-SAMARRAI FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 22:38, 10 January 2014 | UPDATED: 01:15, 11 January 2014

The noise increases each time Wilfried Bony brings his fist down on the table. The Swansea City striker with the leopardprint hat and matching shoes is explaining why he is not the laid-back person some people think he is.
'I have to be in control,' he says. 'I must. It is very important.' He brings his fist down. 'I am a hard person - I am not an easy guy. I want always to be in control, everything I do in football and outside.
'At the end of the season I want to do this, after next season I want to do that. Goals, objectives. I know who can help me, who can't help me. The people who can help, from the beginning I talk to them. "I want that and that - you have to help me. And if you help me, I help you".'

He brings his fist down again. It's time to talk about headers. This is his first one-on-one interview with a British newspaper and Bony, 25, is still grinning about his match-winning header against Manchester United in the FA Cup last Sunday.
Headed goals are important to him and he wants another against United in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday.
'I am quite an intelligent guy,' he says. 'I talk with my team-mates, my friends. They know I am strong and that if they put it in the right place I will get there. I am not a running player, running right and left.

'I like to use my power. Wherever we go, in the disco or anywhere, I am always talking about this every day. I always tell my friends - Roland Lamah, (Wayne) Routledge, Jonathan de Guzman - if you have time to put in a cross do it because you know I am good with my head. You don't have to be in the box, give me the ball.
'If I head the ball one time it can be a goal. I try to be there in the right place. If I am not there, it is my mistake.'
Bony doesn't break eye-contact during this speech. He is 91kg of intensity and self-assurance, a man who 'wears whatever I want to wear' - he says he would have been a fashion designer if not a footballer - and whose thighs are each 'as wide as mine together', in the words of Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm.
Vorm talks of a 'beast', a man for whom everything is large, including that £12million fee that until recently was considered a little on the high side. 'He sneezed this morning and the noise - wow,' Vorm said.
'His shot is the hardest thing I have felt. He is a good guy, everyone likes him, but he will give you a play punch in the arm and it really hurts.'
The pain is being felt elsewhere. He scored twice in defeat against Manchester City - 'his best game for Swansea,' said boss Michael Laudrup - and followed it with the winner against United.
He now has 13 for the season - six in the league - and people are starting to get over some of early reservations about his form, fitness and the fact Laudrup had other targets before signing him.
'I have absolute belief in myself,' he says. His friend Didier Drogba sends him messages on his Blackberry to reinforce the message.
Support: Bony has been encouraged by his countryman Didier Drogba
Support: Bony has been encouraged by his countryman Didier Drogba
'I am not 100 per cent yet. People will see the best is yet to come,' he adds. Bony grew up as the eldest of three children in the Plateau area of Abidjan, in the south of the Ivory Coast. His father was a teacher and his mother, a black be l t in judo, worked in administration.
'They were,' he says, 'not very poor but not rich. My parents always had jobs.' Bony's job, in the eyes of his father, should not have been in football.
'He wanted me to continue in school,' he says. 'He paid for me to go to this school for a year but I said, "I don't want that, I want to play football so don't pay anything".
'He would say, "Go to school and after that you can play. There are other people, like doctors, who play football".

But I said, "Dad, no. Everyone has a destiny". He said, "I understand that but this is your problem now". Man, he went ******* crazy.
'But my mum helped me. She bought me boots, black boots, because I used to play without shoes. I used to hurt my feet.'
Bony left the school after two months, aged 14, and enrolled in a football academy run by Cyrille Domoraud, the ex-Ivory Coast defender who played for Inter and AC Milan. 'I used to be a defender,' Bony says.
'Then one game our forward got injured, I went up front, scored twice and the coach said, "You're not a stopper any more". In 2006, aged 17, he joined his first professional club, Issia Wazi in the Ivory Coast, and a few months later was invited for a trial at Rafa Benitez's Liverpool.
Just getting started: Bony says the Premier League is still to see the best of him this season
Just getting started: Bony says the Premier League is still to see the best of him this season
'It was my first time abroad. Steven Gerrard - he was the best. They said I was quite good but young. They said, "OK, you can train and we will see you again, see if you are improving and then maybe we'll sign you".
'It was good. I went back to the Ivory Coast to train then got a letter from Sparta Prague, and I could play a minimum of 10 games there which would be good. Games are the most important thing. I got there and saw snow. I was thinking, "What the **** is that?" '
But Bony learnt to ski and now speaks fluent Czech. He also speaks French and English fluently and can get by in Dutch - but he has also learnt the art of scoring.
'You must study the weakness of a defence,' he says. He scored 22 goals in 59 games, then moved to Vitesse Arnhem in 2011, where in two years he scored an astonishing 51 in 69. It's where Daddy Cool, the Boney M song, first started being played.

'I had no idea what this music was and then I looked it up on YouTube,' he says. 'I got them to play it for me every time I entered the pitch and every time I scored.' He heard it a lot and still does at the Liberty Stadium.
'I always plan for the future,' he says. 'I talk about this with Didier a lot. Last year, in Holland, he told me to be in the top five in Europe for goals.
On the up: Bony has scored 13 goals already this season, his first in English football
On the up: Bony has scored 13 goals already this season, his first in English football
'Now it is more tough but he said, "Don't let anyone destroy your objectives".
'My objective is 20 goals with Swansea this season, then the World Cup and in the future I want to play the Champions League.'
He stops banging his fist and grins. 'No-one will destroy my objectives.'

TrueBlueMike said:
I think this is a fantastic bit of business.

What does concern me, is that we are buying a striker, because we only have 3 strikers, and then you lot are deciding whether to let Dzeko or Jovetic go...

Yes Bony's injury record looks good, but it only takes one bad tackle, and we are back where we were...

I think people are being a little short sighted. Buying Bony now, fixes the immediate problem, however leave the Dzeko / Jovetic debate till the summer when it wont be over-inflated January fees and we can actually see who has done what over the season.
We only have two strikers. Jovetic isn't a striker as has been evidenced when we've seen him up front on his own lately. Milner is a better striker than Jovetic. Jovetic is a forward, yes, but not a striker.

KippaxCitizen said:
TrueBlueMike said:
I think this is a fantastic bit of business.

What does concern me, is that we are buying a striker, because we only have 3 strikers, and then you lot are deciding whether to let Dzeko or Jovetic go...

Yes Bony's injury record looks good, but it only takes one bad tackle, and we are back where we were...

I think people are being a little short sighted. Buying Bony now, fixes the immediate problem, however leave the Dzeko / Jovetic debate till the summer when it wont be over-inflated January fees and we can actually see who has done what over the season.
We only have two strikers. Jovetic isn't a striker as has been evidenced when we've seen him up front on his own lately. Milner is a better striker than Jovetic. Jovetic is a forward, yes, but not a striker.

Like for like...Bony would replace Dezko...but if Pelle is wanting 3 out an out strikers....Jovetic would be the one to leave. I think Jovetic can help more in a number of positions and his movement and work-rate are outstanding but we cant really call Jovetic a true striker (forward? yes!).....The only issue for Jovetic is that we have a few players that can play the same forward position (playing off the striker)......I personally think Bony offers more than Dzeko with his support play and think he'd more than fill the gap if Dzeko had to leave but Jovetic might be the odd man out....comes down to what Pelle wants from is front men....

Gaudion M said:
oakiecokie said:
Bony, therefore, will become the club’s 11th centre forward signed at a combined cost of about £275m since the takeover of August 2008.

Proof, perhaps, that the more some things change, the more they stay the same

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2900906/Wilfried-Bony-sees-Manchester-City-throw-caution-wind-look-splash-30m-Swansea-City-forward.html#ixzz3ODmQWyax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3ODmQWyax</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not a bad article overall and quite strange this coming from The Mail.

Anyone know who the 11 are then?

1. Jo £6m
2. Bellamy £14m
3. Adebayor £25m
4. Santa Cruz £17.5m
5. Tevez £25m
6. Dzeko £27m
7. Mario £22m
8. Aguero £38m
9. Jovetic £22m
10. Negredo £16m
11. Bony £25-£30m

£227m - £232m

Silva_Spell said:
Gaudion M said:
oakiecokie said:
Bony, therefore, will become the club’s 11th centre forward signed at a combined cost of about £275m since the takeover of August 2008.

Proof, perhaps, that the more some things change, the more they stay the same

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2900906/Wilfried-Bony-sees-Manchester-City-throw-caution-wind-look-splash-30m-Swansea-City-forward.html#ixzz3ODmQWyax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3ODmQWyax</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not a bad article overall and quite strange this coming from The Mail.

1. Jo £6m
2. Bellamy £14m
3. Adebayor £25m
4. Santa Cruz £17.5m
5. Tevez £25m
6. Dzeko £27m
7. Mario £22m
8. Aguero £38m
9. Jovetic £22m
10. Negredo £16m
11. Bony £25-£30m

£227m - £232m

fuck,we paid 25mil for Adebayor!

raymondkl92 said:
Silva_Spell said:
Gaudion M said:

1. Jo £6m
2. Bellamy £14m
3. Adebayor £25m
4. Santa Cruz £17.5m
5. Tevez £25m
6. Dzeko £27m
7. Mario £22m
8. Aguero £38m
9. Jovetic £22m
10. Negredo £16m
11. Bony £25-£30m

£227m - £232m

fuck,we paid 25mil for Adebayor!

I thought Jo was £18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.