Wilfried Bony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't really add up for me. The only strikers I can think that were anywhere close to Bony in play style that Txiki has ever bought was Negredo, and even that seemed like a rough option.

He buys people like Eto'o, Saviola, Gudjohnsen, Ezquerro and latterly Henry. All of which are pacey strikers with great movement and enjoy running the flanks, none of which are that big man powerhouse that Bony is.

I actually rate Bony and would like him here but I'm puzzled at why Txiki is making such a huge departure from his normal and previously successful M.O. when the last time he did it in Negredo didn't end up well.

sam-caddick said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Some of the revisionism on this thread is of Champions League quality.

Apparently City were short-sighted selling Negredo, despite the fact he would not be available until the end of November with a broken foot?

And it would be equally short-sighted to buy a better player in Bony because he will not be available for the next month?

They are talking £20m upwards for the kid Berahino at West Brom.

Bony is the best available striker of his price in all of Europe at present.

I am kind of hoping that if we do indeed want Bony we go for him early and try and get him for the reported £25m.

I just think Berahino is going to he sold for similar money this window and I that happens before we move for Bony, Swansea could easily demand £40m.

I fear you may be correct on your final point.

It will be now or never for Bony this window re City.

What people are perhaps failing to account for is the entire landscape of the Premier League has changed with this new TV deal.

Average clubs can now afford to shop at Harrods if they think it will keep them up.

I keep reading that we will be okay for strikers after the African cup of nations ends therefore we won't require the services of Bony. If we could be guaranteed Sergio will not break down again I would be assured by such observations but am worried he'll suffer a reoccurrence of his injury leaving us in real trouble. We cannot hang our hopes on dzeko I'm afraid, and no doubt there will be another blade of grass waiting for jovetic to trip over shortly. We have to buy this guy, it's a no brainer.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
sam-caddick said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Apparently City were short-sighted selling Negredo, despite the fact he would not be available until the end of November with a broken foot?

And it would be equally short-sighted to buy a better player in Bony because he will not be available for the next month?

I am kind of hoping that if we do indeed want Bony we go for him early and try and get him for the reported £25m.

I just think Berahino is going to he sold for similar money this window and I that happens before we move for Bony, Swansea could easily demand £40m.

I fear you may be correct on your final point.

It will be now or never for Bony this window re City.

What people are perhaps failing to account for is the entire landscape of the Premier League has changed with this new TV deal.

Average clubs can now afford to shop at Harrods if they think it will keep them up.

If City are interested you can bet your life Bony will know all about it. If Bony knows all about it and Swansea dig their heels in, they're going to have one pissed off footballer on their hands when he returns from the ACON.

Damocles said:
Doesn't really add up for me. The only strikers I can think that were anywhere close to Bony in play style that Txiki has ever bought was Negredo, and even that seemed like a rough option.

He buys people like Eto'o, Saviola, Gudjohnsen, Ezquerro and latterly Henry. All of which are pacey strikers with great movement and enjoy running the flanks, none of which are that big man powerhouse that Bony is.

I actually rate Bony and would like him here but I'm puzzled at why Txiki is making such a huge departure from his normal and previously successful M.O. when the last time he did it in Negredo didn't end up well.

Bony could of been recommended by Txiki's old mate Laudrup as a transfer target.

MeatHunterrr said:
sam-caddick said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

They can't demand £40m, considering Bony has a release clause of £30m.
From what I've read recently he has no release clause in the contract he recently signed, he reportedly had a £19m clause which was removed
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/31/swansea-refuse-to-rule-out-selling-wifried-bony

There are surely better players available for the same or slightly more money. Feels like a panic buy and I'd rather we spent more for a player like Reus or Benteke.

bondsman said:
There are surely better players available for the same or slightly more money. Feels like a panic buy and I'd rather we spent more for a player like Reus or Benteke.

That would of been a panic buy imho.

Damocles said:

It could just be that Txiki has seen enough of the premier league to realize that for some games you need the plan b of a more physical center forward.

Damocles said:

I don't want to be laughed out of town here, and let me be clear, he's not in the same stratosphere...

I had thought Txiki did the Ibra deal to Barca, for which he was ridiculed because of the price and Eto'o going on to win the Champs League with Inter?

I remember Ibra being a big success at Barca, to the point he had put Messi's nose out of joint?

What I'm trying to suggest is Bony, like Ibra, is something of a staging post player.

He's the go-to guy to utilise their unique strength, letting the smaller and trickier players run up the barricades and scale the castle walls?

For Messi, read Aguero, and I start to see the reasoning for Bony.

Rather than 442 - recent weeks have shown all we need is people running beyond the traditional midfield placings, pulling people all over the place.

If Bony can be the tip of the spear, with Aguero running around and beyond him, I would consider it a potent 451.

Very Barca-esque in fact.

The other plus being Bony really does defend from the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.