Will the United States survive the 21st century?

In the shorter term, is there any likelihood that their might be violence in the wake of the election result?

A friend of mine has been e-mailing me about this. In one of them he wrote:

‘...the other, quite likely, scenario, is that Trump will cry foul over postal votes, grab at whatever polls or in-person voting data he can find to claim victory, and refuse to concede before all the postal votes have been counted. Then there could well be guns on the streets.‘

There’s also this article:

I haven’t actually been following the campaign. But that’s because I presently feel like I do when Man City are playing an important match and I am too nervous to check the score while the game is in progress.

Having said that, the USA is obviously a deeply divided society but also one which suffers from profound economic inequality. And as Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett have conclusively demonstrated in their book The Spirit Level, the most unequal societies tend to be the most dysfunctional and fissiparous, which does suggest that violence might be a possibility in some instances.

The 'United' States is already effectively 50 small countries, bound together loosely by the Constitution. Given that Trump has basically spent the last 4 years tearing up Constitutional norms, then I can't see it surviving in its current guise.

I could easily see it become two or three separate countries in the next 20 years if it continues the same way it's been going recently.

If it means we can have our news channels free from any little thing that goes on over there, I’m all for it!

We get daily updates on insignificant bollocks from over there. For example, today, it was reported, in our UK news, that some bloke fell down a sink hole in a New York street.

That sort of shit is a regular occurrence (the reporting of bollocks from over there that nobody cares about in this country, not people falling down sinkholes), and they get precedence over actual news stories from our own country.

They’re going to have to come to terms with not being the world’s preeminent superpower. They are already losing control over many of the international institutions that they shaped to their benefit. China’s economic growth is relentless. They also have vastly more intelligent people in positions of power. All empires come to an end. I just hope the next Chinese empire doesn’t inflict as much death, damage and misery on the rest of the world as the American one.

They’re going to have to come to terms with not being the world’s preeminent superpower. They are already losing control over many of the international institutions that they shaped to their benefit. China’s economic growth is relentless. They also have vastly more intelligent people in positions of power. All empires come to an end. I just hope the next Chinese empire doesn’t inflict as much death, damage and misery on the rest of the world as the American one.
The Chinese regime has inflicted more death and misery on their own people than the Americans have on the rest of the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.