Will they fire Mancini?

jay_mcfc said:
Soulboy said:
But this isn't about the last two games.

We have been turgid for months now.

When was the last time we played well away from home in the league? Against the rags?

Even at home, I'm struggling to think of a convincing performance this side of New Year.

Many on here chastise the rags for their ability to win games without impressing... but we've been doing the same as well these past few months!

We might have been 'turgid' away from home for a couple of months but to suggest we have been at home is ludicrous. We've scored 3 goals at least in most of our games and looked very comfortable without ever really getting out of third gear.
I have only ever given United credit for what they do week in week out. Some of the stuff that gets written about them in here is ridiculous and that is why I am content to be where we are. It's tough winning the league, in fact it's the toughest trophy to win imo. I really wish they had gone through in the Champions league and the FA Cup because the way they have managed to focus on the prem has been to our detriment. Anyway, this isn't about them but if we get 90ish points and lose the league I won't be too downhearted.

-- Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:05 pm --

80s Shorts said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
You've said something that is 100% true but then used it to justify an incorrect conclusion. Khaldoon Al Mubarak is indeed a very astute, level-headed businessman.

So let's imagine he hires an executive to run one of his businesses (not a football club). The business hasn't been well run in the past and needs a good shake-up. He therefore accepts he can't expect results early on but he backs his manager, who asks for & justifies investment in new machinery & hires key management personnel that he believes will deliver results.

That investment pays off to some degree (as he would expect) and the company has some noteworthy successes, winning a prestigious award. But then it hits a few problems - sales drop a bit, orders don't get produced in time, there are quality problems, etc.

So he calls his executive in and says "I hear things are a bit rocky at the moment. What's causing the problems and how are you dealing with them?"

The executive may say "Yes, we've had some problems. There have been problems with suppliers & materials so I've sourced these materials somewhere else. There have been machine reliability problems so I got the manufacturer to put a maintenance team on site for a few weeks to sort them out. I hired a new sales guy but he's not really been able to get the orders we want so I've let him go and have recruited the top guy from our competitors. I expect to have all these problems under control in 2 months and be back on track."

Khaldoon is likely to think "Excellent. We might not yet be the biggest business of its type yet but I've got a guy who clearly knows how to drive it forward."

However, if the executive were to say something like "Yeah, we've had a few blips but it's swings and roundabouts so they'll sort themselves out eventually I suppose" then Khaldoon's attitude is likely to be "Hmmm. He may have won an award a couple of years ago but I'm not sure I've got the right man for the long term here. I'm not confident of his ability to move this business forward so I'm going to look for a replacement."

What a load of claptrap.

Ha ha it really, really is a load of crap. PB you are so much better than what you have done today.

The line I've highlighted sums up our problems at the moment, for me.

We played Bolton and Blackburn the last two home games and, you're right, we never got out of third gear. We strolled to a 2-0 and 3-0 victory. Yet I left the stadium on both occasions very frustrated that the players didn't work nearly hard enough.

It was all too easy. It was doing "just enough". We played like that at Swansea yesterday as well. Whyt aren't we playing in fourth gear? Why not in fucking fifth gear!!

We're ten games away from the biggest prize in City's history and too many of the players are strolling it. Even the Swansea goal yesterday came from us fannying about on the half way line, apparently trying to run down the time.

The manager has to demand far more than the players are giving at the moment. Swansea not only outplayed us yesterday, they outworked us as well.

And until we are playing at a higher tempo, and working our bollocks off, we're not winning anything this season.

And for that fingers can be pointed at the coaching and management staff.

No, I don't think Mancini will get the sack even if City don't win the league. Simply put, ye have made far too much progress under him this year for him to be given the boot, however tempting it may be if Mourinho becomes available and is interested.

I also think the City owners have surely studied and learned from Abramovich's mistakes, his biggest being sacking quality managers in a knee jerk fashion. Your owners will have been told, and will know damn well that stability is vital, and as long as City are going in the right direction overall (ye very much are) Mancini will be kept on.

If he gets the bullet (and personally, I hope he doesn't; constantly changing managers has done precisely fuck all for us down the years, yes?), then it's his approach to away games that will do for him. 4 goals in our last 8 away games is piss poor.

Mancini has improve since the last year and started to use more offensive formation.

Last year the midfield was consistent of ( Barry - NDJ - Yaya ) and some times Milner with them.

While this year he replaced NDJ with offensive midfielder ( Nasri, AJ ) and some times Milner and also played a lot with 2 forwards !

Last year Tevez was playing alone, now its 2 forwards most of the games which something I appreciate.

But is that improvement is good or good enough ? we will figure out at the end of the season.

I have 3 concerns about him :

1- He is too conservative in the Away games.
2- He don't appreciate World Class Wingers.
3- He don't turn games around, If the team concede a goal, you know the chances of coming back is below %50.

SWP's back said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
For me, outside of his general likeability, I am always left with the impending feeling that Bobby is all too quick to find excuses rather than finding solutions.

I am currently asking the question how much further must/can he improve upon, should we miss out on title, to a United team who their own fans will tell you have been crap and riddled with injuries?

United will represent a greater challenge next time around, because Ferguson will ensure it.

I have my doubts Bobby would have it in him to pick us up to the extent we would require to avoid a repeat disappointment.

This club is still all about impetus and momentum at this stage in the project.
But your doubts about Mancini are long standing Tolm. They were there even before this season and continued during our amazing start. I have a feeling you simply don't like the guy.

-- Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 pm --

Soulboy said:
Even at home, I'm struggling to think of a convincing performance this side of New Year.
Spurs 3-2
Liverpool 3-0
Fulham 3-0
Porto 4-0
Blackburn 3-0
Bolton 2-0

You may say we were not "awesome" but I would say we were convincing in each of those games, would you not?

Liverpool and Porto weren't league games. By that token, why not mention the defeats to Liverpool and the rags then!

Blackburn and Bolton were awful performances against teams who had no intention of giving us a game. We strolled throughout those games.

And winning games is not my beef... I said when was the last time we were impressive?

Even the Spurs victory wasn't.

I've delved further to try and find a reason why we've had the stats we've got in the 2nd half of the season...

Swansea 1-0 City.

We set up with a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with De Jong, Yaya and Barry in the middle with Nasri & Silva behind Balo, Swansea set up their traditional 4-3-3 with 2 wide men and a striker through the middle. We share possession 50/50, despite Swansea's early dominance, and we have 10 more shots and 8 more on target, have 2 more corners as well. 18 Shots, 13 on target, 0 goals. Swansea have 8 shots, 5 on target, miss a penalty and still score.

Aston Villa 0-1 City.

We play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 again, with De Jong, Barry and Milner the middle 3 with Silva and AJ the front 3 with Aguero. Villa play a 4-4-2 with Heskey out wide w/Albrighton on the other flank, and Keane and Bent through the middle. They also have a CB at LB. We have 57% of the play, 17 shots, 10 on target and score 1 goal. They have 9 shots, 5 on target and Hart has to make several superb saves at the end to keep us ahead. We also have 3 more corners.

Everton 1-0 City.

We play a 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2 with Dzeko and Aguero up front with Milner and Barry holding. They play a similar formation. We have 57% of the possession again, 17 shots, 11 on target compared to Everton's 9 shots, and 4 on target. Again they score, we don't. We had 6 more corners.

Wigan 0-1 City.

We play a similar setup to Everton with Dzeko and Aguero again. We have 52% of the possession, just 12 shots, with 8 on target, and score. Wigan have 7 shots, 4 on target and played 4-3-3 with Crusat & Moses supporting Rodallega up front. We had 1 more corner.

Sunderland 1-0 City.

City rested key players and played Dzeko as a lone striker with Nasri and AJ behind. Sunderland played Bendtner as a lone striker with Sessegnon and McClean behind. We had 59% possession, 25 shots, 11 on target, 10 corners and didn't score. Sunderland had 8 shots, 5 on target, 1 corner and beat us.

West Brom 0-0 City.

We played a 4-2-3-1 with Aguero, Balotelli, Silva and Nasri the front 4. West Brom played 2 strikers in Odemwingie and Long. We had 62% possession, 18 shots, 9 on target and 9 corners. West Brom, with 2 widemen in Brunt & Thomas, had 7 shots, 3 on target and 5 corners.

Chelsea 2-1 City.

We played a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 whilst Chelsea played a 4-3-3. We only had 42% possession, 8 shots, 4 on target and 1 corner whilst they had 13 shots, 7 on target and 5 corners. Despite that we dominated half hour.

Looking further, Liverpool played a 4-2-3-1 and dominated us in possession and shots. United played 4-4-2 and we got the better of them, Blackburn played 4-3-3 I think but had 2 strikers, 1 of them out wider. Fulham played 4-2-3-1, as did Spurs.

Of course, we all know teams have dropped deeper and we have no pace or wingers to get in behind and stretch them, which is the biggest change.<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm --<br /><br />
SWP's back said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
For me, outside of his general likeability, I am always left with the impending feeling that Bobby is all too quick to find excuses rather than finding solutions.

I am currently asking the question how much further must/can he improve upon, should we miss out on title, to a United team who their own fans will tell you have been crap and riddled with injuries?

United will represent a greater challenge next time around, because Ferguson will ensure it.

I have my doubts Bobby would have it in him to pick us up to the extent we would require to avoid a repeat disappointment.

But your doubts about Mancini are long standing Tolm. They were there even before this season and continued during our amazing start. I have a feeling you simply don't like the guy.

Soulboy said:
Spurs 3-2
Liverpool 3-0
Fulham 3-0
Porto 4-0
Blackburn 3-0
Bolton 2-0

You may say we were not "awesome" but I would say we were convincing in each of those games, would you not?

Not Liverpool or Spurs, no.

and you're right, it should read 3-0, 3-0, 5-0, 5-0, 7-0, 8-0 if we were awesome, quite frankly, but that's just me hoping our players would play to their capabilities instead of pratting about like they did for most of those games.

Soulboy said:
SWP's back said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Soulboy said:
Spurs 3-2
Liverpool 3-0
Fulham 3-0
Porto 4-0
Blackburn 3-0
Bolton 2-0

Liverpool and Porto weren't league games. By that token, why not mention the defeats to Liverpool and the rags then!

Blackburn and Bolton were awful performances against teams who had no intention of giving us a game. We strolled throughout those games.

And winning games is not my beef... I said when was the last time we were impressive?

Eh? I was over for the Liverpool game and I could swear that it was a league game. Or is this a Bobby Ewing moment, and I dreamt the whole thing?

Soulboy said:
The line I've highlighted sums up our problems at the moment, for me.

We played Bolton and Blackburn the last two home games and, you're right, we never got out of third gear. We strolled to a 2-0 and 3-0 victory. Yet I left the stadium on both occasions very frustrated that the players didn't work nearly hard enough.

It was all too easy. It was doing "just enough". We played like that at Swansea yesterday as well. Whyt aren't we playing in fourth gear? Why not in fucking fifth gear!!

We're ten games away from the biggest prize in City's history and too many of the players are strolling it. Even the Swansea goal yesterday came from us fannying about on the half way line, apparently trying to run down the time.

The manager has to demand far more than the players are giving at the moment. Swansea not only outplayed us yesterday, they outworked us as well.

And until we are playing at a higher tempo, and working our bollocks off, we're not winning anything this season.

And for that fingers can be pointed at the coaching and management staff.

There is no excuse with playing the way we did yesterday. We were shockingly bad and no-one was angrier than me watching the game. There really was no excuse for the team selection or the performance. I have said numerous times on here that all the squad rotation in the past 6 months will come to fruition now if we play our strongest team and win the league. If he fucks about with the system and starting 11 like he did yesterday then we will not win the league.

However, considering how long the season is and that players up and down the country are getting a bit leggy I do not see any problem with taking the foot off the gas at home to Blackburn and Bolton when you think of the tougher tasks that lie/lay ahead. In general we do need to work harder and play at a higher tempo, but not in games that are already won. If you're frustrated after a 2 and 3 nil win I suggest you take a chill pill and understand why we took our foot off the gas.

jimharri said:
Eh? I was over for the Liverpool game and I could swear that it was a league game. Or is this a Bobby Ewing moment, and I dreamt the whole thing?

Yep, get back in the shower, you're stinking the place out! ;-)

jimharri said:
Soulboy said:
SWP's back said:

Spurs 3-2
Liverpool 3-0
Fulham 3-0
Porto 4-0
Blackburn 3-0
Bolton 2-0

yh, it was, but they're achilles heel reared its ugly head again that day, the score makes it more comfortable than it was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.