Will we win the Prem / Title still possible (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will we win the Prem (continued)?

Lancet Fluke said:
supercity88 said:
Chelsea will play exactly how they did last night and against us at the Etihad. That will soak up Liverpool's pressing game and hit them on the counter. Liverpool's defence will struggle to contain the likes of Hazard, Eto'o etc and they will be a threat from set pieces. Liverpool have not really been tested in their last few outings. Any teams they have played have over committed men forward and played into their hands. West Ham and Sunderland played a more contained game and Liverpool found things more difficult. Chelsea will do the same and do it better. We will play slightly more open but when you have the players we do, we can keep the ball despite their pressing and pass right through them.
We will have to deal with being pressed better than we did in the first half on Saturday.

And they will have to deal with being pressed better than they did with West Ham on Sunday and Sunderland last week

They almost fell apart in both games, and if they were playing a half decent team in either game they probably would have been picked off

Liverpool aren't a top team, their hard workers with a couple of top players. If the likes of Vinny, Silva Ferna and Yaya play like they did at the Nou Camp I don't see any problems for us.

Lancet Fluke said:
davymcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Why is that match now a nailed on draw? Surely if anything that now makes Liverpool quite big favourites for that match which as things currently stand is not good?
I think Chelsea are more than capable of getting 1/3 points at anfield whilst giving it a go in the champions league. As I said to you last night I don't think Chelsea are out of the title race. Remember we still have to go to Everton which is always tough. Chelsea's fixtures are certainly more favourable than anyone else's. If we do manage to beat Liverpool on Sunday then Chelsea will be legitimately ahead of them. Then surely when they go to anfield we would be hoping Chelsea drop points. It too close to call at the moment but the main thing is that city win the games and do the business.
Of course Chelsea are capable of going to Anfield and winning, anything can happen in any game and any of the three of us could win the title but you can only go on probabilities. Liverpool are currently in by far the best form of the three of us, they are exceptionally strong at home and Chelsea now have extra (huge) matches to play. For me Liverpool are the biggest danger at this moment and I expect us to be hoping Chelsea get something at Anfield when that game comes around. The fact that Chelsea will have a CL semi either side of that game will not help that happen.

This simply isn't true. They are playing no better than we are - backed up by the fact they have gone on an incredible run and are still two points behind us in real terms

wireblue said:
Lancet Fluke said:
davymcfc said:
I think Chelsea are more than capable of getting 1/3 points at anfield whilst giving it a go in the champions league. As I said to you last night I don't think Chelsea are out of the title race. Remember we still have to go to Everton which is always tough. Chelsea's fixtures are certainly more favourable than anyone else's. If we do manage to beat Liverpool on Sunday then Chelsea will be legitimately ahead of them. Then surely when they go to anfield we would be hoping Chelsea drop points. It too close to call at the moment but the main thing is that city win the games and do the business.
Of course Chelsea are capable of going to Anfield and winning, anything can happen in any game and any of the three of us could win the title but you can only go on probabilities. Liverpool are currently in by far the best form of the three of us, they are exceptionally strong at home and Chelsea now have extra (huge) matches to play. For me Liverpool are the biggest danger at this moment and I expect us to be hoping Chelsea get something at Anfield when that game comes around. The fact that Chelsea will have a CL semi either side of that game will not help that happen.

This simply isn't true. They are playing no better than we are - backed up by the fact they have gone on an incredible run and are still two points behind us in real terms
They have won 9 in a row, how can it be simply not true that they are in the best form of the three teams? How many games do you genuinely think we have looked very good in since we lost at home to Chelsea by the way? We ground out a great win at Hull, we were very good at old trafford but other than that I don't recall us being brilliant too often. In that time they have been incredibly good in quite a few games. Just my opinion mind.

-- Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 am --

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
supercity88 said:
Chelsea will play exactly how they did last night and against us at the Etihad. That will soak up Liverpool's pressing game and hit them on the counter. Liverpool's defence will struggle to contain the likes of Hazard, Eto'o etc and they will be a threat from set pieces. Liverpool have not really been tested in their last few outings. Any teams they have played have over committed men forward and played into their hands. West Ham and Sunderland played a more contained game and Liverpool found things more difficult. Chelsea will do the same and do it better. We will play slightly more open but when you have the players we do, we can keep the ball despite their pressing and pass right through them.
We will have to deal with being pressed better than we did in the first half on Saturday.

And they will have to deal with being pressed better than they did with West Ham on Sunday and Sunderland last week

They almost fell apart in both games, and if they were playing a half decent team in either game they probably would have been picked off

Liverpool aren't a top team, their hard workers with a couple of top players. If the likes of Vinny, Silva Ferna and Yaya play like they did at the Nou Camp I don't see any problems for us.

You think they almost fell apart against West Ham? I thought West Ham tried very hard but they created almost nothing all game. One goal that should have been disallowed and one header against the bar (from a set piece?) that was it in 90 minutes as far as I can remember.

Lancet Fluke said:
wireblue said:
Lancet Fluke said:

They have won 9 in a row, how can it be simply not be true that they are in the best form of the three teams? How many games do you genuinely think we have looked very good in since we lost at home to Chelsea by the way? We ground out a great win at Hull, we were very good at old trafford but other than that I don't recall us being brilliant too often. In that time they have been incredibly good in quite a few games. Just my opinion mind.

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:

You think they almost fell apart against West Ham? I thought West Ham tried very hard but they created almost nothing all game. One goal that should have been disallowed and one header against the bar (from a set piece?) that was it in 90 minutes as far as I can remember.

We still stuck five past fulham, three past united and four past southampton.
Liverpool were top going into christmas if i remember correctly and like you say they've also won nine games on the bounce but they're still two points behind us. In my opinion that suggests they simply can't be in far better form than we are. The fact they've gone on this run yet are still relatively speaking two points behind us tells you all you need to know.

Lancet Fluke said:
wireblue said:
Lancet Fluke said:

They have won 9 in a row, how can it be simply not be true that they are in the best form of the three teams? How many games do you genuinely think we have looked very good in since we lost at home to Chelsea by the way? We ground out a great win at Hull, we were very good at old trafford but other than that I don't recall us being brilliant too often. In that time they have been incredibly good in quite a few games. Just my opinion mind.

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Perhaps not so much in the West Ham game, although if Carroll's header that hit the bar had gone in then they would have been right up against it. Even at 1-1 until the penalty they never looked like opening West Ham up. They looked very shakey against Sunderland as soon as they brought it back to 2-1, Johnson came on and opened them up time after time and I imagine the likes of Silva Nasri and Navas will do the same but this time we will have the players to finish the moves off.

If were not already winning by the 70 minute mark, can you imagine what they will be like with 20 minutes to go in this game if they aren't out of sight (which I doubt they will be), he will have Strurridge off and it will basically be our attack vs their defence, and if thats the case I only see one winner.

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
wireblue said:

chris85mcfc said:

Perhaps not so much in the West Ham game, although if Carroll's header that hit the bar had gone in then they would have been right up against it. Even at 1-1 until the penalty they never looked like opening West Ham up. They looked very shakey against Sunderland as soon as they brought it back to 2-1, Johnson came on and opened them up time after time and I imagine the likes of Silva Nasri and Navas will do the same but this time we will have the players to finish the moves off.

If were not already winning by the 70 minute mark, can you imagine what they will be like with 20 minutes to go in this game if they aren't out of sight (which I doubt they will be), he will have Strurridge off and it will basically be our attack vs their defence, and if thats the case I only see one winner.

I'm not saying we can't win, it is incredibly difficult to call and nobody knows how Liverpool will respond as the run in goes on. But apart from 20 minutes against Sunderland I think they have dealt with the pressure incredibly well so far and yes, they may have ground out a win against West Ham but I find it amazing that anyone thinks they aren't generally in an incredible vein of form at the moment and that it is going to be anything other than incredibly tough on Sunday. I'd happily take a draw at this moment, let's put it that way.

wireblue said:
Lancet Fluke said:
davymcfc said:

There's no bloody real terms where they're two behind us! The real terms of the situation is we're four behind them. Don't count your chickens etc.

Edit. Really does my head in when people automatically put our games in hand down as two wins to us.

Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:

I'm not saying we can't win, it is incredibly difficult to call and nobody knows how Liverpool will respond as the run in goes on. But apart from 20 minutes against Sunderland I think they have dealt with the pressure incredibly well so far and yes, they may have ground out a win against West Ham but I find it amazing that anyone thinks they aren't generally in an incredible vein of form at the moment and that it is going to be anything other than incredibly tough on Sunday. I'd happily take a draw at this moment, let's put it that way.

Mate I completely agree, id snap your hand off for a draw now and I'm expecting one hell of a tough game where ill largely spend most of it hid behind the sofa with my hand over my face, in fact I was doing that when we were 2-0 up at the swamp and only held my nerve when Yaya got the third.

They are in a very good run of form no one can deny that. But I suppose people will say 'well who have they played that can really test them?'. Our players have had the pressure of Bayern twice, Barca twice, League Cup final, playing United and Arsenal away in the space of 5 days then Southampton at home, were used to these big games and we've had plenty of them already, I expect us to turn up and put in a solid performance and grind out a result and show we deserve to win the league, like I said if Vinny Yaya Ferna and Dave turn up like they did in the Nou Camp we will be just fine.

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:

Mate I completely agree, id snap your hand off for a draw now and I'm expecting one hell of a tough game where ill largely spend most of it hid behind the sofa with my hand over my face, in fact I was doing that when we were 2-0 up at the swamp and only held my nerve when Yaya got the third.

They are in a very good run of form no one can deny that. But I suppose people will say 'well who have they played that can really test them?'. Our players have had the pressure of Bayern twice, Barca twice, League Cup final, playing United and Arsenal away in the space of 5 days then Southampton at home, were used to these big games and we've had plenty of them already, I expect us to turn up and put in a solid performance and grind out a result and show we deserve to win the league, like I said if Vinny Yaya Ferna and Dave turn up like they did in the Nou Camp we will be just fine.
If Aguero starts and we play as well as we can then I think we will be ok. Being honest though and I expect I'll get a load of grief for saying this, I think there is sometimes an air of complacency about us that there just isn't about Liverpool, I'd like to think that in such a big match that wouldn't be an issue though. They know that this is their big chance because they will do well to be challenging next season when they are in the CL, that adds pressure for them but it does also mean that they are busting their bollocks to get this title. They remind me a bit of us in the 11/12 run in tbh, they look relentless at times and like they are absolutely determined to do everything in their power to make it theirs.

citytill1die84 said:
Chippy_boy said:
citytill1die84 said:
Had enough to beat us twice and our defence shits all over Liverpool.

Sadly, I am not banking on any complete an utter fuck ups on a level with how we lost at Stamford Bridge.

Wasn't any complete and utter fuck ups in the home game and we managed to lose. Chelsea score they're more than capable of shutting out Liverpool.

We were always struggling with the last minute injury to Fernindiho and Garcia already out. Even so, it took a special (fluky) goal from Ivanovic to beat us. How often will that happen?

Anyway, we digress. My point is that if Liverpool have alread beaten us and only beating Chelsea stands in their way of their first title in 25 years, I would bet on them taking their chances and beating Chelsea. We simply CANNOT slip up on Sunday and hope other teams will bail us out. If we want the title, we must take it.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:14 am --<br /><br />
Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:

If Aguero starts and we play as well as we can then I think we will be ok. Being honest though and I expect I'll get a load of grief for saying this, I think there is sometimes an air of complacency about us that there just isn't about Liverpool, I'd like to think that in such a big match that wouldn't be an issue though. They know that this is their big chance because they will do well to be challenging next season when they are in the CL, that adds pressure for them but it does also mean that they are busting their bollocks to get this title. They remind me a bit of us in the 11/12 run in tbh, they look relentless at times and like they are absolutely determined to do everything in their power to make it theirs.

I agree with all of that mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.