Will we win the Prem / Title still possible (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will we win the Prem (continued)?

Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I'm not saying we can't win, it is incredibly difficult to call and nobody knows how Liverpool will respond as the run in goes on. But apart from 20 minutes against Sunderland I think they have dealt with the pressure incredibly well so far and yes, they may have ground out a win against West Ham but I find it amazing that anyone thinks they aren't generally in an incredible vein of form at the moment and that it is going to be anything other than incredibly tough on Sunday. I'd happily take a draw at this moment, let's put it that way.

Mate I completely agree, id snap your hand off for a draw now and I'm expecting one hell of a tough game where ill largely spend most of it hid behind the sofa with my hand over my face, in fact I was doing that when we were 2-0 up at the swamp and only held my nerve when Yaya got the third.

They are in a very good run of form no one can deny that. But I suppose people will say 'well who have they played that can really test them?'. Our players have had the pressure of Bayern twice, Barca twice, League Cup final, playing United and Arsenal away in the space of 5 days then Southampton at home, were used to these big games and we've had plenty of them already, I expect us to turn up and put in a solid performance and grind out a result and show we deserve to win the league, like I said if Vinny Yaya Ferna and Dave turn up like they did in the Nou Camp we will be just fine.
If Aguero starts and we play as well as we can then I think we will be ok. Being honest though and I expect I'll get a load of grief for saying this, I think there is sometimes an air of complacency about us that there just isn't about Liverpool, I'd like to think that in such a big match that wouldn't be an issue though. They know that this is their big chance because they will do well to be challenging next season when they are in the CL, that adds pressure for them but it does also mean that they are busting their bollocks to get this title. They remind me a bit of us in the 11/12 run in tbh, they look relentless at times and like they are absolutely determined to do everything in their power to make it theirs.

Yea hopefully Aguero starts he has been back in full training for 2 weeks now and I think if the Liverpool game was a week earlier he probably would have been on the bench last weekend. I think we are at our most complacent against weaker opposition when we think we can just turn up and get the points, not so much the early away games cause I think we were still trying to settle into a new style but more so away at Norwich.

I can't think of many big games this season where we have been complacent, they are usually the games we stand up to be counted, if what you said was true then we probably would have struggled at OT and got beat at Arsenal, but we came out of both games with 4 points. The only big game we have struggled is Chelsea at home but thats more down to important players not being available, I expect Vinny will be right up for it on Sunday and he will know what is at steak, the players do the maths as well as all of us, they know that if we win on Sunday were incredibly close to lifting the trophy.

chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mate I completely agree, id snap your hand off for a draw now and I'm expecting one hell of a tough game where ill largely spend most of it hid behind the sofa with my hand over my face, in fact I was doing that when we were 2-0 up at the swamp and only held my nerve when Yaya got the third.

They are in a very good run of form no one can deny that. But I suppose people will say 'well who have they played that can really test them?'. Our players have had the pressure of Bayern twice, Barca twice, League Cup final, playing United and Arsenal away in the space of 5 days then Southampton at home, were used to these big games and we've had plenty of them already, I expect us to turn up and put in a solid performance and grind out a result and show we deserve to win the league, like I said if Vinny Yaya Ferna and Dave turn up like they did in the Nou Camp we will be just fine.
If Aguero starts and we play as well as we can then I think we will be ok. Being honest though and I expect I'll get a load of grief for saying this, I think there is sometimes an air of complacency about us that there just isn't about Liverpool, I'd like to think that in such a big match that wouldn't be an issue though. They know that this is their big chance because they will do well to be challenging next season when they are in the CL, that adds pressure for them but it does also mean that they are busting their bollocks to get this title. They remind me a bit of us in the 11/12 run in tbh, they look relentless at times and like they are absolutely determined to do everything in their power to make it theirs.

Yea hopefully Aguero starts he has been back in full training for 2 weeks now and I think if the Liverpool game was a week earlier he probably would have been on the bench last weekend. I think we are at our most complacent against weaker opposition when we think we can just turn up and get the points, not so much the early away games cause I think we were still trying to settle into a new style but more so away at Norwich.

I can't think of many big games this season where we have been complacent, they are usually the games we stand up to be counted, if what you said was true then we probably would have struggled at OT and got beat at Arsenal, but we came out of both games with 4 points. The only big game we have struggled is Chelsea at home but thats more down to important players not being available, I expect Vinny will be right up for it on Sunday and he will know what is at steak, the players do the maths as well as all of us, they know that if we win on Sunday were incredibly close to lifting the trophy.

I thought we were a bit complacent at Arsenal tbh. They are in terrible form, had loads of injuries and are nothing like the team from earlier in the season. For me we clearly started taking our foot off the gas after about half an hour and let them back into the game. I agree though that generally it is against the "weaker" teams that our attitude is at times questionable and it is no coincidence that our best performance by a mile in the last couple of months was in the derby. We need to be right on it for every match now though regardless of the opposition if we are going to win the title.

Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:
Lancet Fluke said:

I thought we were a bit complacent at Arsenal tbh. They are in terrible form, had loads of injuries and are nothing like the team from earlier in the season. For me we clearly started taking our foot off the gas after about half an hour and let them back into the game. I agree though that generally it is against the "weaker" teams that our attitude is at times questionable and it is no coincidence that our best performance by a mile in the last couple of months was in the derby. We need to be right on it for every match now though regardless of the opposition if we are going to win the title.

Take our foot off? Or just not have much left in the tank? I think a few of our key players, namely Silva, Zab, Yaya and Fern, are all looking worryingly close to burn out. The only thing that would give me confidence of the title is a win at Anfield, and that's mainly because I think we will definitely drop points on this run in.

chris85mcfc said:

I hope we meat chop the scousers :D

I think the only games Liverpool will possibly drop points are against us and Chelsea. Likewise I can only see Chelsea ropping points against Liverpool and I think we could drop points against both scouse teams. We simply cannot afford to lose this weekend as then we are relying on Liverpool drawing with Chelsea and we have to win every other game.

adrianr said:
Lancet Fluke said:
chris85mcfc said:

Take our foot off? Or just not have much left in the tank? I think a few of our key players, namely Silva, Zab, Yaya and Fern, are all looking worryingly close to burn out. The only thing that would give me confidence of the title is a win at Anfield, and that's mainly because I think we will definitely drop points on this run in.

That's fair enough, maybe it was tiredness but whatever it was, as you suggest, it is a bit worrying.

Lancet Fluke said:
adrianr said:
Lancet Fluke said:

That's fair enough, maybe it was tiredness but whatever it was, as you suggest, it is a bit worrying.

Your possibly being a bit harsh mate. March was a really tough month if you look at the fixtures, it started with the League Cup final which I think took a lot out of our players, then the trip to Barca, coming back from there and beating Hull away with 10 men, then a week or so later playing United and Arsenal away within 5 days. I'm guessing that the last half an hour against Arsenal was just all these games catching up on the players, and if we didn't have as much about us we would probably have ended up getting beat in that game.

We've had plenty of rest ahead of the Liverpool game so they should be right up for it. We've got plenty of players on the bench that can come on for last 30 minutes if neccessary to see us over the line. But we should be treating this like a final, a win here puts us effectively 5 points clear of them and should see us lift the trophy in a few weeks. We should be going all out to win, and if that doesn't work out we take a point. Losing isn't an option :)

chris85mcfc said:
I expect Vinny will be right up for it on Sunday and he will know what is at steak (sic), the players do the maths as well as all of us, they know that if we win on Sunday were incredibly close to lifting the trophy.

I had hoped they felt like that against Arsenal tbh. Still, let's look forward to Sunday. It can't come quick enough can it.

IrelandSuperman said:
wireblue said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Of course Chelsea are capable of going to Anfield and winning, anything can happen in any game and any of the three of us could win the title but you can only go on probabilities. Liverpool are currently in by far the best form of the three of us, they are exceptionally strong at home and Chelsea now have extra (huge) matches to play. For me Liverpool are the biggest danger at this moment and I expect us to be hoping Chelsea get something at Anfield when that game comes around. The fact that Chelsea will have a CL semi either side of that game will not help that happen.

This simply isn't true. They are playing no better than we are - backed up by the fact they have gone on an incredible run and are still two points behind us in real terms
There's no bloody real terms where they're two behind us! The real terms of the situation is we're four behind them. Don't count your chickens etc.

Edit. Really does my head in when people automatically put our games in hand down as two wins to us.

But we do have two games in hand? It's not counting chickens it's just a fact. We may not win them, but if we do then we're top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.