Will we win the Prem / Title still possible (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will we win the Prem (continued)?

It's probably better to be a point or two behind at this stage than it is to be a point or two ahead. Liverpool will be looking over their shoulders as to what we and Chelsea are doing and they may yet serve up a final game set of nerves as we had in 2012. At least we know what we have to do, and nothing short of three points per game will do. Having said that, Pellegrini will have to get his tactical game plan up to speed if he is to succeed in the chase. When I saw the team sheet for the game yesterday, I was alarmed. For home games, yes. For away games at lower half opposition, yes. But for a game of this magnitude when we knew what was going to hit us, to pick a team that on paper was so attacking was suicidal. I was one of many who said that Garcia should have partnered Fernandinho in the holding roles, with Yaya having a free box to box role at the expense of either Navas or Nasri. The fact that Yaya came off early does not alter my pre-match assessment.

I'm no cynic said:
It's probably better to be a point or two behind at this stage than it is to be a point or two ahead.
It really isn't!

I can't see us winning the next six games on the bounce.

Nor can I see Liverpool throwing it away now - they've got the momentum, desire and luck - three things we don't have. I just cannot see them dropping points. If they win 14 on the bounce then fair play they are worthy champions (although obviously Suarez is still a diving goofy prick)

Dubai Blue said:
I'm no cynic said:
It's probably better to be a point or two behind at this stage than it is to be a point or two ahead.
It really isn't!
Arithmetically, you are correct. But the mind can play funny tricks and when there is so much at stake and the emotions kick in, anything can happen. Teams have buckled before under these pressures and they will do so again.

I'm no cynic said:
Dubai Blue said:
I'm no cynic said:
It really isn't!
Arithmetically, you are correct. But the mind can play funny tricks and when there is so much at stake and the emotions kick in, anything can happen. Teams have buckled before under these pressures and they will do so again.
There's possibly an argument to be made that it's better to be flying under the radar with 10-15 games to go, but with just 4 games to go for the dippers I'd want to be right where they are now with everything still in their own hands.

I'm no cynic said:
It's probably better to be a point or two behind at this stage than it is to be a point or two ahead. Liverpool will be looking over their shoulders as to what we and Chelsea are doing and they may yet serve up a final game set of nerves as we had in 2012. At least we know what we have to do, and nothing short of three points per game will do. Having said that, Pellegrini will have to get his tactical game plan up to speed if he is to succeed in the chase. When I saw the team sheet for the game yesterday, I was alarmed. For home games, yes. For away games at lower half opposition, yes. But for a game of this magnitude when we knew what was going to hit us, to pick a team that on paper was so attacking was suicidal. I was one of many who said that Garcia should have partnered Fernandinho in the holding roles, with Yaya having a free box to box role at the expense of either Navas or Nasri. The fact that Yaya came off early does not alter my pre-match assessment.

The problem is we are 7 points behind, we have to win our games in hand to be a point behind.

Obviously we can still win it, as can Liverpool and Chelsea.

It's just I look at the way we are playing and our fixtures and I think we have less chance of winning all of our games (6 of them) than Liverpool or Chelsea have of winning their 4. It's clearly easier - all things being equal - to win 4 games than it is to win 6.

And much though we would like it, Liverpool and Chelsea cannot both lose their head to head match. At best (for us) they will draw the game. But if either of them wins it, they are odds on to win all their 3 other games imho.

In short, one of either Chelsea or Liverpool is going to win their last 4.

To beat that we must win all of our remaining 6 games, and I think that's unlikely. Of course if it's Liverpool not Chelsea who wins their last 4, what we do is kind of irrelevant as we will have lost it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.