Wimbledon 2024

When she fell over and “hurt” her leg I am sure there was nothing wrong with her - very soft
That's a bit harsh, she clearly slid across the surface and her leg jarred in response. She's still on her rehabilitation path and is probably being very cautious not to incur another injury. I got the feeling she wasn't moving very well across the baseline yesterday, her opponent kept playing the same shot deep into the corners of the court and winning comfortably whereas Coco Gauff was reaching those shots in her game against a better opponent (although still lost). Raducanu also didn't work her opponent anywhere near enough, kept playing it straight back to her too often, giving her the chance to play those winning shots.

I hope she can put her injury woes behind her and have a few steady seasons.

Often mentioned in the media about the Etihad but no mention of empty seats at Wimbedon.Is tennis failing as a sport in the UK
I passed comment on it at the start of the Raducanu match. Centre Court was barely half full at that point. More drifted in as the first set progressed, but I don't think it was rammed. Surprising, given the great British hope was playing.

And yes; I realise that when people buy tickets in advance, they don't know who'll be playing.

A bit like John Stones;) (don’t tell Eccles Blue I said that). When Raducanu got back to one set all, that was the time to carry on. That break took all the momentum away. Her opponent was too strong for her, her forehand was so powerful, I was shouting to the telly for Radacanu to try not to hit it to her forehand but I think she found it hard to control each return. Shame really but well done to Sun, a deserved winner.
Eccles Blue reads a lot of posts!! But I forgive you. I am in a good mood today. The Election honeymoon period. However be careful!! ;-) :-)

Raducanu could not handle the powerful forehand of her opponent. As I posted last week, give her a year to get more matches under her belt and then we shall see if she can sustain her comeback.
She is without doubt our best youngster (at 18) since Murray at the same age.
It remains to be seen if she can overcome the physical and mental problems she has experienced.

I passed comment on it at the start of the Raducanu match. Centre Court was barely half full at that point. More drifted in as the first set progressed, but I don't think it was rammed. Surprising, given the great British hope was playing.

And yes; I realise that when people buy tickets in advance, they don't know who'll be playing.
Part of the problem with the empty seats comes from Raducanu following a 3 hr match. I think the next match usually starts no later than 30 mins after the previous one, so you have a lot of the crowd wanting to go for food, drink, generally just have a walk round to stretch the legs etc. Always going to struggle to keep seats full for what could be an 8hr plus schedule.

And whilst a lot of 'proper' tennis fans will want to watch the full match, I bet you have a lot of ticket holders who don't mind missing part of the first set as long as they are able to watch the deciding games later on.

Raducanu could not handle the powerful forehand of her opponent. As I posted last week, give her a year to get more matches under her belt and then we shall see if she can sustain her comeback.
It remains to be seen if she can overcome the physical and mental problems she has experienced.

Sadly Raducanu fell short and maybe it is a little bit early after a long injury to come back to play a major.
I did feel she was on fire in the first week and could go all the way, but 4 games in a week is a big ask and finally fitness caught up on her, When she pulled out of the mix doubles with Andy it sort of sent out the message she is still not fully fit and it shown yesterday,

What I don't like is making excuses about the injury and stiffness in her wrist, that part of her make-up has to change and just come out and say it was not her day the better player won good luck to her.

But we saw many good things this week and the aggression and controlled anger playing off the front foot and some of the shots and winners she hit were of the best quality on show. Now she has to back this up in the US Open later this year, She can not go backwards and just roll over.

and if she doesn't she has still done more than any British woman since Wade, she will always have that.

Anna Kournikova had a career and I don't think she ever won a singles tournament.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.