Wolves (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Great analysis by Walcott here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/videos/cp8m3l1jk66o

Unfortunately because of the sun it's hard to see exactly when the flag was raised. I guess that the liner said to the ref that Bernardo was offside but couldn't be sure from his angle whether or not he was interfering. Ref is also asking VAR to have a look which they do with all goals and then said to the liner, raise your flag and then we can have a look. On field decision was no goal although in the old days the ref would have run across to the liner and said why is your flag up as nobody was interfering, liner would have said I wasn't sure from this angle, ref would have said the goal is fine to stand and it's done and dusted. Instead we have this ridiculous media barrage of stupidity about should the goal have stood and trying to allude that other goals where players have stood right in front of the keeper affecting his eyeline have been disallowed. All conveniently forgetting the deliberate blocking of Ederson a few weeks ago by Arse which everyone said was great tactical play.

Obviously very happy with the win, but the ‘decision’ by Attwell to ask the ref to go to the monitor was an absolute farce.

The media have jumped on it now and collectively decided that Bernie (all 5 foot four of him and 9 stone dripping wet) backing in to the keeper briefly before the corner came curling in somehow impeded the keeper.

What a joke!!!

I don’t know how many times this season I’ve seen Eddie surrounded by players who are not the slightest bit interested in the ball (yes you Arsenal) and whose sole purpose is to shove and block Eddie from getting to the ball from a corner. Is any of that referred to VAR? Of course not.

Atwell has to be one of the biggest cheats going around and that referral to ask the ref to the monitor was just plain disgusting.

Luckily for us the ref overruled Atwell. Otherwise it would have been the biggest injustice of the season.
With respect mate, you have this the wrong way round. The goal was ruled out on the pitch and Atwell (VAR) instructed the ref to review it again, after which it was awarded, changing the on field decision.

View attachment 135682

Every paper carrying the same "controversial" headline, it's only their reporting that makes the perfectly good goal controversial.
There is no point giving ANY of the media the satisfaction of getting wound up about their coverage.
The problem they all have is that it is incredibly boring for their readers/viewers to see ‘Four times champions Manchester City, by far the best run club in the league, deservedly won as usual today, albeit a bit late this week’.
Where’s the fun in that?

I think the confusion has arisen because the on field decision was missed by so many. I'm sure the Sky commentators were making out the review was to disallow the goal as well which added to the confusion. Correct decision in the end though.

Exactly
The Sky commentary teamed caused all this furore

For everyone berating Attwell or VAR trying to fuck us over.

It was the on field team that tried to fuck us over.

VAR advised the ref to re visit the decision.

The VAR team worked in our favour.
I don’t think anyone tried to fuck us over.

The linesman was right to put his flag up because BSilva was in an offside position and from the linesman’s perspective he probably looked like he was in the keeper’s way.

This is pretty much his view of it. Not forgetting they see it once at one speed from one angle.

We can’t see that BSilva moved to the side from that view so neither will the linesman have.

I thought the officiating was spot on for it. The linesman rightly flagged and VAR rightly asked the ref to have a look at the screen to overturn the decision of no goal.

Makes sense that the Wolves fans were cheering at something but I still haven’t seen the referee raising his arm or any footage of the goal being disallowed and again, for him to rule it out for offside there should have been some indication from the linesman too.

All seems a bit suss really but hopefully the audio recordings will be released next time Owen and Webb do their comedy duo routine
I suspect the cheer from the Wolves fans was possibly from a "VAR check" being displayed which they thought would lead to the goal being ruled out. I must admit, I thought that was what the check was for myself. It was a confusing 2 or 3 minutes all round.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.