Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

Some serious overreaction to a draw on here, City played well as did Wolves (they'll sink a couple of big boys at home). Handball goal unlucky, hit the woodwork 3 times, two good saves from GK shows we created plenty but were just unlucky on the day, that's football. It's early doors and we'll improve from here.

I read this on the Grauniad comments.
It's by a poster called ZeeZeeTopFulham
I found it interesting, and hope you will too.

"
A very interesting game. City can rightfully feel aggrieved by the nature of the goal they conceded, but Guardiola will almost certainly be critical of the performance seen today.

The usually superb Kompany was sloppy with his distribution of the ball and off pace for much of the game, leading to Walker and Laporte at various times having to cover for him, perhaps depleting the effect Walker had along the flank. Laporte himself wasn’t brilliant, though given he scored the equalizer his criticism isn’t as strong. The two centre backs are undoubtedly among the finest in the division but today they were stretched and tested – the subsequent effort players around them needed to exert to repel counter attacks was clearly visible to the Wolves offensive line! Walker, meanwhile, might be one of the most intelligent full backs England has produced in a while – you can see how Guardiola has moulded him since his acquisition and subsequently the man has become crucial to this defence – how many might City have conceded if Walker hadn’t been there to mop up the loose balls and pacey runs posed to his side? Mendy was decent also, though like Walker you feel he might have had a greater impact if he wasn’t prohibited by the potent threat Wolves had going forward.

Continuing with the theme of players Guardiola has had an effect on, Raheem Sterling has gone from strength to strength under him and was once again the best attacker on the pitch for City. Tremendous, mazey dribbles mixed in with phenomenal quick passes, easily the player most threatening to the Wolves back line and perhaps the only player who can say they performed close to what their best is for the City lineup. Not only that, but his efforts across the entirety of the pitch are crucial – observe the way Sterling tracks back, uses his body against other players, never relinquishes a challenge, compared to Mahrez or Sane when they came on. I have no doubt in my mind that Sterling is one of the best attackers in the division at present and was perhaps the shining light of the team today – unfortunate to have had his first half effort saved, as well.

The others can’t be praised too much – Aguero had several chances that a player of his quality should have finished, both Silvas were surprisingly wasteful with the ball and were contained exceedingly well by their opponents, and while there were plenty of nicely constructed moves you could feel the tension and signs of panic trickling into their game, evidenced by the freakish mind lapses that led to misplaced passes, miscommunication and even foul throws. Gundogan distributed the ball nicely and perhaps would have had more statistical impact (in the form of goals/assists) if his teammates had been on the same wavelength today.

It was not that the quality wasn’t there for City… but that the efforts of a frankly superb Wolves performance was too much to overcome even for a side as talented as this. Boly’s goal was fortunate to say the least, but that doesn’t change the quality and composure of the performance, as any side that gives this City team a conundrum deserves substantial praise. Observe the splendid passing range of midfielders like Joao Moutinho and Neves, the breathtaking pace of Traore and Costa, the prowess and menace of Jota and Jimenez. Is that fortune, the mere roll of dice for a plucky underdog – or the cultivated formidability of a team ready to challenge any side in the top flight? Wolves continue the trend of demonstrating the Championship is no cakewalk – you top the division by being the best in the division, by recruiting well and melding a workable play style, and Wolves have shown just how talented a side they are with that performance. The one major sticking point for me is the officiating of the game – if we have the technology to ensure a goal illegally scored doesn’t stand, why not utilize it?

This is football, and one would be remiss to draw serious discontent from one draw for City – turn your focus to the composure and diligence of the Wolves performance, and consider that sometimes well drilled resolve and organization can beat the greatest of Goliaths.

Yeh, reasonable analysis. Perhaps overly praiseworthy of both full backs, in as much as whilst Walker’s pace dug us out defensively on more than one occasion, his distribution was sloppy, particularly as the game wore on, and what I wonder about Mendy is that if you take those superb crosses out of the equation, just how good is he? Looks the part galloping forward with empty space in front of him, but when play is condensed I’m less convinced of his effectiveness. There were one or two ill judged and inaccurate passes from him yesterday that led to counterattacks and it was the same story at Arsenal. Yes, it’s very early days, but Pep himself has said that Mendy needs a bit of development and he’s not wrong. There’s also the “problem”, for want of a better word, that his inclusion creates in respect of Sane, a player who looks completely out of sorts and out of favour at the moment. He was shockingly poor yesterday when he came on.

As the poster says, Wolves did a good job denying both Silvas space, and with 11 gold shirts behind the ball every time we attacked and our fullbacks either reticent (due to the way Kompany was defending early in the game), or unable, to overlap, there was nowhere they could go. I too thought Sterling was far and away our most dangerous attacking outlet yesterday and Gunders had a decent game prompting and probing, but that’s about it. Almost everyone else was below par, our collective passing was the worst it’s been in a long time and we looked laboured against well drilled opposition

Thought Fernandinho passing was laboured. I think him and Gundogon need to start rotating his position soon. We may have bought Gundogon to play a more advanced role but I'd much rather have Bernardo, Foden or Mahrez.

You are the deluded one. You sound like you’ve become very entitled/arrogant and just expect us to batter every team we play.

I think pep will not be worried at all as he knows how good we are. He will also look at the season so far and think you know what 2 wins and a draw is great so far - Not having a meltdown over it and overreacting. Just my opinion though.
Mate, I am always one of the first to challenge those that think we will batter every team, so we can park that argument. Pep would have laid into them, not for the result, but the performance. We played sublimely for the first two games so yesterday would not have been expected at any level. Pep will have given it them straight in the dressing room, and rightly so, sloppiness will not be acceptable for him

By our own high standards, we weren't good yesterday, and our defence was very shaky, and always looked very vulnerable whenever Wolves countered. Having said that we hit the woodwork 3 times, not sure if that is just bad luck, or a need for better finishing? The Wolves "goal" correctly disallowed for offside, should not have been offside if the "scorer" had held the line, so we had warning. The goal that was wrongly allowed was poorly defended, then offside, then handball. The usual with referees/assistants, was it bias or simply incompetence? We certainly seem to get far more than our fair share of incompetence. VAR is not perfect, last year showed it to be slow, and far too secretive. As with rugby, what the VAR sees again, should be on the big screens and seen by all, and their discussions should also be displayed /audible. What have they got to hide?? I agree the "penalties" not given yesterday would still be subjective, and as such, there is no guarantee that all decisions would be correct, but it is impossible for decisions not to improve, and even if correct decisions only went from 90% (i'm being generous) to 95% it would indisputably be better than now, and yesterdays howler could NOT happen.

Both Silva & Aguero were caught from behind looking at the replays. Aguero's was difficult to see, as he just nicks his foot with his leg but Silva's wasn't, he just ran into the back of him, which you are not allowed to do.
Bournemouth v Everton - baines foul in the box penalty given. Silva incident the same no penalty. Walcott fouled by arm on shoulder, sending off. Same incident with augers in the box - no penalty. Agenda set for this season I’m afraid. We gonna have to score 2 or 3 to win games this season. The incidents were not compared on MOTD. Surprised.?

If you look at Sane on the training clips plus match days he’s certainly not a happy chap. From a personal viewpoint Mendy and him can’t play together. Personally, I prefer Sane out there don’t care what anyone has said previously about him. Giving him 15 mins here and there not going to work. Last season when he was ripping it up all you could hear was seats clatter as everyone was off their seats as he tore defences apart. With Mendy we will get the assists but defensively we are weaker. Mahrez not had the game time yet to show us what we he can do. Plus Stones should play every game and we need to stop rotating the defence. We missed him big time yesterday. I think not strengthening over the summer hasn’t helped us with defensive midfield Fern looks tired already. I think some underestimated that palace result and the dippers have changed their style to be more pragmatic this season. Early doors and no need to panic but to me Sane is critical to our season especially while Kevs out. We need him back in the side playing the same role as last season. That dribble at the end is what we need on Saturday. Let’s get behind the lads on Saturday.

Wolves will take points off a lot of teams at home this season. We weren't at our best yet still hit the woodwork three times and conceded a goal that should have been disallowed for handball. We won't win every game, we didn't do that last season. A point at Wolves will probably look like a decent result at the end of the season.

On to the next game, let's get back to winning ways against the Geordies.

Maybe we weren’t at our best but Jesus we should of won that game easily. Shocking refereeing for their goal and could easily of had one or two penalties. Woodwork three times, plenty of good chances and Jesus has to score that header at the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.