Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

2 wins and a draw, which if im not mistaken is the same/ better then last season and pep will be battering them behind closed doors ??

You have ridiculous expectations - every game we have to be perfect and win 3/4 nil.its one game ! where we’ve got a point away against a tough side. Absolutely nothing to worry about
Nothing to do with the result, the performance will worry Pep and rightly so. If you think Pep will say no worries guys we are better than this time last season, you are deluded.

I read this on the Grauniad comments.
It's by a poster called ZeeZeeTopFulham
I found it interesting, and hope you will too.

"
A very interesting game. City can rightfully feel aggrieved by the nature of the goal they conceded, but Guardiola will almost certainly be critical of the performance seen today.

The usually superb Kompany was sloppy with his distribution of the ball and off pace for much of the game, leading to Walker and Laporte at various times having to cover for him, perhaps depleting the effect Walker had along the flank. Laporte himself wasn’t brilliant, though given he scored the equalizer his criticism isn’t as strong. The two centre backs are undoubtedly among the finest in the division but today they were stretched and tested – the subsequent effort players around them needed to exert to repel counter attacks was clearly visible to the Wolves offensive line! Walker, meanwhile, might be one of the most intelligent full backs England has produced in a while – you can see how Guardiola has moulded him since his acquisition and subsequently the man has become crucial to this defence – how many might City have conceded if Walker hadn’t been there to mop up the loose balls and pacey runs posed to his side? Mendy was decent also, though like Walker you feel he might have had a greater impact if he wasn’t prohibited by the potent threat Wolves had going forward.

Continuing with the theme of players Guardiola has had an effect on, Raheem Sterling has gone from strength to strength under him and was once again the best attacker on the pitch for City. Tremendous, mazey dribbles mixed in with phenomenal quick passes, easily the player most threatening to the Wolves back line and perhaps the only player who can say they performed close to what their best is for the City lineup. Not only that, but his efforts across the entirety of the pitch are crucial – observe the way Sterling tracks back, uses his body against other players, never relinquishes a challenge, compared to Mahrez or Sane when they came on. I have no doubt in my mind that Sterling is one of the best attackers in the division at present and was perhaps the shining light of the team today – unfortunate to have had his first half effort saved, as well.

The others can’t be praised too much – Aguero had several chances that a player of his quality should have finished, both Silvas were surprisingly wasteful with the ball and were contained exceedingly well by their opponents, and while there were plenty of nicely constructed moves you could feel the tension and signs of panic trickling into their game, evidenced by the freakish mind lapses that led to misplaced passes, miscommunication and even foul throws. Gundogan distributed the ball nicely and perhaps would have had more statistical impact (in the form of goals/assists) if his teammates had been on the same wavelength today.

It was not that the quality wasn’t there for City… but that the efforts of a frankly superb Wolves performance was too much to overcome even for a side as talented as this. Boly’s goal was fortunate to say the least, but that doesn’t change the quality and composure of the performance, as any side that gives this City team a conundrum deserves substantial praise. Observe the splendid passing range of midfielders like Joao Moutinho and Neves, the breathtaking pace of Traore and Costa, the prowess and menace of Jota and Jimenez. Is that fortune, the mere roll of dice for a plucky underdog – or the cultivated formidability of a team ready to challenge any side in the top flight? Wolves continue the trend of demonstrating the Championship is no cakewalk – you top the division by being the best in the division, by recruiting well and melding a workable play style, and Wolves have shown just how talented a side they are with that performance. The one major sticking point for me is the officiating of the game – if we have the technology to ensure a goal illegally scored doesn’t stand, why not utilize it?

This is football, and one would be remiss to draw serious discontent from one draw for City – turn your focus to the composure and diligence of the Wolves performance, and consider that sometimes well drilled resolve and organization can beat the greatest of Goliaths.

The performance felt weird from the get-go. The pace and focus was just not there, and it was palpable. Perhaps some need a serious recharge in batteries.

The performance felt weird from the get-go. The pace and focus was just not there, and it was palpable. Perhaps some need a serious recharge in batteries.
I get (and agree) with what you say. It was like mistakes from one led to mistakes from many. There wasn't much leadership on the pitch yesterday in my mind

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.