Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

If Mendy continues to stick a token leg out he will not only concede a few penalties this season, but will also likely suffer another cruciate knee injury.

He's either tackling from the wrong side, standing square on or retreating back towards his own penalty area.

One weakness has been particularly exposed in a couple of our games so far against Arsenal and Wolves.

Mendy has been unaware of a player behind him on a flighted angle ball and both Bellerin and the lad yesterday, were able to bring the ball down and take him with ease before getting a shot off inside the penalty area.

Another area of major concern for me is that while I love Bernardo, he's taking a proper attacker out of the side with flank pace, which seems to expose Walker even more.

Again, Mendy on the other side is taking Sane or Mahrez out of the starting eleven.

Pep said this new formation is bringing rewards because we are creating more chances against teams behind the ball, but we always found a way last season, nine times out of ten.

This present set-up takes attacking pace out of the team in the boxes and there is less of a fear factor for our opponents when they see Sane and Sterling are not playing from the start.

Let's get back to what made us so successful, Pep can overthink things at times, case in point being Liverpool away in Champions League last year?

Personally, would like to see Mahrez moved into the number ten, with Sane and Sterling either side of Sergio, with Dave sitting deeper alongside Fern.

Means nothing now, obviously, but Mahrez needs to grow a pair to find his place on this team.

It must be difficult, but I would have told Sergio to piss off over that last minute free-kick.

Aguero might have hit the bar but outside of KDB, 20 yards from goal, there is nobody better in this league than Mahrez from free-kicks.
When City are on top or playing well last week there was a lot said about Mendy occupying two positions. Which he was down the left flank, but against certain teams he needs support which he does not get at times from any of the midfield three. Laporte offers some but it ain't enough. His positioning at times yesterday in the tackle was a little shaky, but what seems to be contributing to this is that he looked knackered at the point in which he's expected to deal with the one on ones. Risk or reward I suppose with how we set up but I do believe that the fella can't be expected to do everything. If were playing 352, one of the midfield 3 need to help him out more, the same again if we are playing with wingers. With regards to Bernardo, I maintain he's playing out of position on the flank, his natural position is further inside. David Silva would have the same issues if he was playing where Bernardo is. It's no coincidence that he has ripped it up this season when he's been given licence to play further inside. The issue we have I feel we have at the moment is that sane and mahrez need a run of games to play themselves into form. Pep needs to find a way of doing this whilst having regard to the need to rotate and required formation for games.

Yep but sure Pep can see all what we see so I’m waiting to see how Pep works it out

Pep sees a whole lot more than we see and understands the game far more than anybody commenting on this forum. Maybe, as Tolmie suggests, Pep can overthink things but there is no evidence to suggest that he can't work out solutions to all most all the problems that face us. The biggest question is whether he can find the solution to winning at Anfield, which might require him to have the balls for forgo some of his preferred approach in the name of pragmatism (Spurs away last season gives me hope that he might).

I personally have not seen enough evidence to be getting as concerned as some seem to be. I expect Pep to try a few things in the early part of the season before settling on his best team; although, if his third season at Bayern is anything to go by, we could see a wider variety of formations over the season than we have to date at City.

Pep sees a whole lot more than we see and understands the game far more than anybody commenting on this forum. Maybe, as Tolmie suggests, Pep can overthink things but there is no evidence to suggest that he can't work out solutions to all most all the problems that face us. The biggest question is whether he can find the solution to winning at Anfield, which might require him to have the balls for forgo some of his preferred approach in the name of pragmatism (Spurs away last season gives me hope that he might).

I personally have not seen enough evidence to be getting as concerned as some seem to be. I expect Pep to try a few things in the early part of the season before settling on his best team; although, if his third season at Bayern is anything to go by, we could see a wider variety of formations over the season than we have to date at City.

Posted it before but I’d play 3 at the back at anfield Walker and Mendy Wingbacks with Sergio up top

again spot on....Gundogan aint good enough for the tougher away games and agains the better teams...he leaves us horribly exposed isn't defensive enough and doesn't create enough (esp if you are comparing him to KDB or Silva. He cannot take the game by the scruff of the neck and is painfully weak in the tackle. He offers very little and others are much better suited....was glad when he was hooked yesterday.
I thought others were much worse, plus I held a similiar view about gund defensively, but it dawned on me that it ain't a significant part of his game, and even pep has said as much. I did not see any difference between him or the two Silva's creatively, the other two like him struggled to break down wolves deep block. In fact I watched gund closely and there were thtee or 4 times he found space in fangerous areas waiting forfa return pass and he did not get it. I may have missed it in the thread but if I'm right the one piece of quality/creativity we desperately needed to get back in the game which led to are equaliser did notncome from silva, it came from Gundogan, with his free kick.

Wolves fan here - hope you don't mind me commenting on yesterday's game.

Thought it was highly entertaining and gripping - from our perspective, City were just wonderful the way they played the ball around, but I thought we defended and martialled City superbly. Of course we had lady luck on our side, the Wolves goal was marginal in terms of being offside though obviously VAR would have picked up that it was handball, though entirely unintentional. Wolves did create several good chances though, which is admirable against City. City were very unlucky with the woodwork, Sterling's effort was brilliant and miraculously saved by Patricio. Aguero's first shot against the post was also pure class but I felt his last minute free-kick though excellent was always just too high. Regards the penalties, I honestly don't think either were though of course we have all have seen them routinely given in those situations. You risk a penalty for the merest touch against such quality players as Aguero and Silva, though Silva was I thought playing for it by kicking his own heels, and Aguero dived in my opinion.

So yes I can fully understand City fans being totally pissed off, you should have won but purely from our perspective we fully earned a point against one of the best teams in the world, and that was a massive achievement for a club who has spent just 4 seasons in the last 37 years in the top flight. We are really progressing and what is happening to us is a dream. Forgive us for the small time celebrations yesterday, but it is just so exciting for us at present.

Anyway, I am absolutely confident you will win the league, though Liverpool might push you hard. Its great to see Manure struggle with Mourinho (well suited to each other).
I was especially impressed by your centre halves 3 last ditch tackles that denied Sergio (twice) and Sterling.

I thought others were much worse, plus I held a similiar view about gund defensively, but it dawned on me that it ain't a significant part of his game, and even pep has said as much. I did not see any difference between him or the two Silva's creatively, the other two like him struggled to break down wolves deep block. In fact I watched gund closely and there were thtee or 4 times he found space in fangerous areas waiting forfa return pass and he did not get it. I may have missed it in the thread but if I'm right the one piece of quality/creativity we desperately needed to get back in the game which led to are equaliser did notncome from silva, it came from Gundogan, with his free kick.

Posted in the player forum that I am sick and tired of all the stick Gundo gets. He's not one of our best 11 when all are fit but he is good enough to be in this squad...

Not pissed off here. Fair result.
Ok Boly now has offers from Orlando Magic and LA Lakers, but nowt we can do about that. His ball handling is phenomenal - just look at how amazed Martin Atkinson was. (Yes I think Atkinson is so bent he would stand out as utterly bent stood in a total corkscrew lineup - next to Nick Leesom or any recent Carillion director or indeed either Kray twins - he would stand out AND look guilty).
Fair play to Wolves today.Deserved point for their efforts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.