Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

Only 1 mistake for me was playing Kompany.

Stones all day long for me. If that was a top 4 team today we would have been 2 maybe 3 behind.

Vinny was shite & we got away with it.

Stones has to be No 1 until he needs a rest.
I agree I don't think he should have started this game. Although I don't think he was shit but definitely shaky at times. Oddly I'm now starting to think that in certain games he's better suited to a back three where there are a couple of ballers around him at the back he can count on for distribution and cover pace wise.

But we don't get extra points for hitting the bar do we, one a worldy from Raheem.

If people want to split hairs, Ederson makes a save into the side netting when the lad is four yards out.

Wolves have a goal correctly ruled for offside when Vinny has another brain fart.

And if it wasn't for Vinny in the dying minutes, the lad at the back post has a simple tap in.

Our team was strung out from back to front far too many times resembling Pep's first season.

Gundogan isn't good enough for what we need him to play, nowhere near, but that's just my own personal view.

West Ham should have been four up yesterday at Arsenal before they imploded.

All teams can point to their own chances, but we gave Wolves far too many looks yesterday when the ball broke down as we reached the final third.

The same looks which sees better teams such as Liverpool make the most of three looks in transition against us before half time?
again spot on....Gundogan aint good enough for the tougher away games and agains the better teams...he leaves us horribly exposed isn't defensive enough and doesn't create enough (esp if you are comparing him to KDB or Silva. He cannot take the game by the scruff of the neck and is painfully weak in the tackle. He offers very little and others are much better suited....was glad when he was hooked yesterday.

fully agree with all of that.

For his attacking talent, Mendy is a weak link defensively...play him against the likes of Liverpool and he will get torn apart and exploited time after time. The same with Gundogan. It isn't about scapegoating people, its about pointing out obvious weaknesses in the team and those 2 are it. Mendy will have the games he can play in......but against better teams he cannot play as a 3 or we play with him in a 4 and sane infant of him so he doesn't have to attack so much (sort of happened at the end of the game yesterday a bit).

Yep but sure Pep can see all what we see so I’m waiting to see how Pep works it out

Wolves fan here - hope you don't mind me commenting on yesterday's game.

Thought it was highly entertaining and gripping - from our perspective, City were just wonderful the way they played the ball around, but I thought we defended and martialled City superbly. Of course we had lady luck on our side, the Wolves goal was marginal in terms of being offside though obviously VAR would have picked up that it was handball, though entirely unintentional. Wolves did create several good chances though, which is admirable against City. City were very unlucky with the woodwork, Sterling's effort was brilliant and miraculously saved by Patricio. Aguero's first shot against the post was also pure class but I felt his last minute free-kick though excellent was always just too high. Regards the penalties, I honestly don't think either were though of course we have all have seen them routinely given in those situations. You risk a penalty for the merest touch against such quality players as Aguero and Silva, though Silva was I thought playing for it by kicking his own heels, and Aguero dived in my opinion.

So yes I can fully understand City fans being totally pissed off, you should have won but purely from our perspective we fully earned a point against one of the best teams in the world, and that was a massive achievement for a club who has spent just 4 seasons in the last 37 years in the top flight. We are really progressing and what is happening to us is a dream. Forgive us for the small time celebrations yesterday, but it is just so exciting for us at present.

Anyway, I am absolutely confident you will win the league, though Liverpool might push you hard. Its great to see Manure struggle with Mourinho (well suited to each other).
Fair summary-good luck this season fella

Wolves fan here - hope you don't mind me commenting on yesterday's game.

Thought it was highly entertaining and gripping - from our perspective, City were just wonderful the way they played the ball around, but I thought we defended and martialled City superbly. Of course we had lady luck on our side, the Wolves goal was marginal in terms of being offside though obviously VAR would have picked up that it was handball, though entirely unintentional. Wolves did create several good chances though, which is admirable against City. City were very unlucky with the woodwork, Sterling's effort was brilliant and miraculously saved by Patricio. Aguero's first shot against the post was also pure class but I felt his last minute free-kick though excellent was always just too high. Regards the penalties, I honestly don't think either were though of course we have all have seen them routinely given in those situations. You risk a penalty for the merest touch against such quality players as Aguero and Silva, though Silva was I thought playing for it by kicking his own heels, and Aguero dived in my opinion.

So yes I can fully understand City fans being totally pissed off, you should have won but purely from our perspective we fully earned a point against one of the best teams in the world, and that was a massive achievement for a club who has spent just 4 seasons in the last 37 years in the top flight. We are really progressing and what is happening to us is a dream. Forgive us for the small time celebrations yesterday, but it is just so exciting for us at present.

Anyway, I am absolutely confident you will win the league, though Liverpool might push you hard. Its great to see Manure struggle with Mourinho (well suited to each other).

thought you learnt your draw yesterday a as you say you martialed your defence very well and caused us a few problems. your manager had obviously done his moework and spotted the weaknesses/points were your team could hurt us and pressed in the right areas as well. the only point I disagree with you on was the Silva penalty/none penalty.....the interference of the player/collision warranted a penalty; it was scruffy/untidy defending from your player. Clearly VAR would have spotted the handball but I didn't spot it first time watching as it looked like he had headed the ball so while its frustrating that its stood its one of those mistakes that an happen.

again spot on....Gundogan aint good enough for the tougher away games and agains the better teams...he leaves us horribly exposed isn't defensive enough and doesn't create enough (esp if you are comparing him to KDB or Silva. He cannot take the game by the scruff of the neck and is painfully weak in the tackle. He offers very little and others are much better suited....was glad when he was hooked yesterday.
Agree mate & he had a real chance 1st half which he just side-footed straight at the keeper like a backpass instead of putting his foot through it to force the keeper to do something

Yep but sure Pep can see all what we see so I’m waiting to see how Pep works it out

hmm.

All managers can be stubborn to their own detriment and while Pep is a genius Im sure he also has this trait. Lets see if he plays Mendy at Anfield as I know I wouldn't (and I wouldn't have done before a ball was even kicked this season knowing what I know of Mendy and how the way Pep sets up leaves us exposed to quick turnovers (which he acknowledges)

Our biggest miss yesterday was KDB. He picks the ball up near the half way line and runs with the ball attracting opposition players like flies before he either passes it to another city player in space or shoots. We only have one other player who can do that and that is Foden. He wasn't even on the bench yesterday. He needs to be at least on the bench.

The team comfortably beat chelsea and arsenal without him in the side and no disrespect to wolves but they don't have the quality of those two teams. I'm with tolmie that the system change was the biggest problem yesterday. It was 4-3-3 for both those games and the team looked like they knew what they were doing and players knew where to be playing in their desired positions. Yesterday you had sterling playing as a second striker, bernardo as a right wing back, walker alternating between a right back and right-sided center back, mendy effectively playing as a left winger and leaving laporte and fernandinho to clean up most of his work and kompany whom no disrespect is still probably the weakest passer of all the center backs left in the team tasked with playing at the center of the back three.

It was the perfect ingredient for the type of game you saw yesterday where the opponent always looked like they could threaten on the break(similar to peps 1st season) and the game became an open one as a result which was only the case in 3 games at most the whole of last season. Last season it was the perfect balance of 5 attackers left to do what they do best with 5 offering support just behind to both clean up any counters and maintain control, the full backs mostly tasked to tuck in and act like part of the midfield with fernandinho to help in regaining possession quickly. This season with mendy/bernardo silva almost acting as wingers, its 6 attacking players with 4 offering support. Fernandinho is left on his own when teams start to break, laporte and walker have to clean up for mendy and silva and Kompany has to make last ditch attempts to stop attacks as he's the last line of defence most of the time.

Its pretty simple
ederson
walker stones laporte delph
fernandinho
silva mahrez/silva
sterling aaguero sane

No team will be able to deal with that team/setup and you won't get the type of open game you had yesterday but pep seems to be tinkering with a winning formation that no team(outside liverpool which is a special case) was able to figure out how to play against.

Sane leaving 3 wolves players for dead should be rembered by Pep, not the lose play before it. Get him in next week and get his mojo back.
This for me too. Sane can be petulant but gives the side that blistering pace any technical skill unrivalled in the PL. That run at the end was fantastic and am I being too harsh on Aguero for taking the ball off him and away from the penalty area when Sane could have continued his run and either got in a shot or poss a penalty? Looked that way to me. Anyway he's got to start and give us the assists and goals we're missing whilst Kev is out.

hmm.

All managers can be stubborn to their own detriment and while Pep is a genius Im sure he also has this trait. Lets see if he plays Mendy at Anfield as I know I wouldn't (and I wouldn't have done before a ball was even kicked this season knowing what I know of Mendy and how the way Pep sets up leaves us exposed to quick turnovers (which he acknowledges)

If play him as a wing back pack the midfield and have Sergio up top who loves scoring against Liverpool.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.