Wolves (H) Post-Match Thread

So just to confirm.....the problem is our defence or defence/midfield or midfield or midfield/attack or attack. However, v Watford we couldn’t see any this but now we know it was always there?

Could this not just be a below average performance for one game by the whole team or is that just crazy talk?

problem is is that the performance has been coming. Its not a one off and we havent looked as good or solid as last season.

the problems with our defence are twofold - one which Pep alluded to last year - Aerially at set pieces we are very vulnerable - we bought rodri but let go Kompany (our best defender aerially) - we had no choice in that but we didnt replace Kompany.
Secondly on the defence - Pep has always said that we need defenders that are good one vs one - ottomendi isnt,
Thirdly - our injuries are compounding the situation

the problem with our midfield is that certain combos of midfielder dont work as well.
Rodri has been excellent and Silva is a genius but neither can be paired with Gundogan as he is too slow and not creative enough to support either of those. ~He adds nothing in either way. Without KDB we also have no drive going forward and less ability from wide areas to cross into the box with variety (baring in mind we have also lost Sane who was our only true wide player (ie one who stayed wide and could attack the outside of the defender (sterling and Mahrez both come inside)

the injuries are the biggest factor but its compunding some issues that were already there - especially in defence

Yesterday I thanked the Lord we played Watford in the cup final and not Wolves or that day in May wouldn't have been half as enjoyable!

We've been saying this since that day, reckon you would have beat us too but we'd have given you much more of a game than Watford did. If only we'd have held on for a few more minutes!

We've been saying this since that day, reckon you would have beat us too but we'd have given you much more of a game than Watford did. If only we'd have held on for a few more minutes!

I agree it would have been a tough nail biting game. I expected a much harder game from Watford to be fair. I think it would have been if they had scored that early chance.

You have just played City on a very bad day in which in the 2nd half we missed our entire first choice back 4 and the midfield was also decimated. No one has figured out why Pep played that midfield because in Foden and Bernado he had two excellent alternatives. Perhaps bernardo was struggling with the media publicity. You played well against City, but it was very much a case of City playing very much below our level.

Diogo Jota was a big miss for us - he would probably have finished 1 or both of the chances Cutrone and Raul fluffed in the first half!

Could this not just be a below average performance for one game by the whole team or is that just crazy talk?

I think there's a distinction to be made between the defence and the attack.
Defence wise, for myself, what's worrying is that it runs deeper than that. This weekend looked like the culmination of a tendency that's been gradually emerging for a while. For the plain fact is that for a number of matches now we've been giving away two or three huge chances where we've either been let off the hook by poor shooting, or a great save by Ed, or a block by, say, Fern. Sometimes, indeed, when the score was still at 0-0. That was the case on Sunday, and finally in the second half we paid the price.
But the toothlessness of the attack, and the utter inability of the midfield to improvise anything that seemed likely to surprise Wolves, was much more out of the blue. Home or away, it is extremely rare that we don't score in a game. Three of the four matches we lost last season — Palace, Leicester, Newcastle — we scored in every case. And in the other one, Chelsea, I can genuinely say, because I was at it, that we were all over them for the first forty minutes. This was something quite different. It was bad, all over the park, and no mistake. Bad… You could see Wolves winning it from a long way back. Like many others, I was astonished to see both Phil and Bernardo left on the bench when I saw the line-up. Not only the players, but Pep has to rethink very deeply. Thank God, for once, that we've got the break.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.