Wolves (H) - Post-Match Thread

Way back in 1986 I remember a reporter for one of the "qualities" explaining that what we were witnessing in the world cup was "los bastardos football". His definition was the application of the principles of team work to cheating. If one player hacks an opponent down four times he gets a yellow and risks more - so four players hack him down once each they escape without sanction. Yesterday we saw the point los bastardos football has reached after 35 years refinement. A Wolves team dedicated to tapping ankles, shirt grabbing, tripping, time wasting while at the same time injecting a degree of unpleasantness and contempt for opposition, fans and officials which is unprecedented in the PL. My prime concern was that los bastardos should wend their way back to Wolverhampton with precisely nothing to show for their disgraceful efforts. I hope Jimenez will face a charge for his display of time wasting AFTER his red card. And if you spend such a time trying to exploit the rules I'm actually glad that you lost to what you thought was a very dodgy penalty. And your manager had better realise that we enjoyed his fury since he must be at the back of that display.
Arsenal were the masters of the ‘rotational foul‘ system. For all his supposed sophistication, Wenger turned it into an art form.
I can remember both SWP and David getting the treatment from them in the past

The type of win that wins championships. To be fair I thought Wolves were defensively excellent. They came with a game plan, & stuck to it, & if not for a silly sending off, it might have been points dropped the way we were plodding along.

Having a clinical striker in a match like this will continue to threaten us when we meet stiff defensive sides like Wolves. There were no stand out performers, but it's good to see Sterling regaining his confidence. 3 points, onwards & upwards.

Sterling seems to have an inner ear problem, he is always falling over. As for the Jimenez first yellow card, Moss had to give it fot the grab as he had just booked two City players for equally trivial fouls.

You got away with a blatant handball just before half time, so I for one will tAke the one we were given.

I hope you get to see some football from your team this season, because what we saw from them yesterday certainly wasn’t.
Just seen a replay of the Rodri booking and it's identical to the first one Jimenez was booked for, Castagne of Leicester has just this minute seen yellow for one the same. Wolves fans seemed to delight in their teams continued shithousery, happy with Dias and Rodri getting booked, happy to see their guys drop to the ground at the slightest touch, happy to see the constant time wasting but bleating like fuck cos it came back and bit them on the arse. If I'd seem them play like that against Liverpool, Chelsea or the rags I'd have wanted them to lose on principle.

It's time Grealish was dropped, £100m or not. There is no end product with his play. He missed a hatful of chances last weekend and another sitter yesterday. It is games like this against stubborn defensive opposition where we really need a top class striker.
Played better against Watford but he didn't pull up any trees yesterday and missed an easy chance. Question is - is he playing to Pep's strict instructions in keeping the ball and slowing it down so much or is that the way he feels he should play ? Certainly a lot more to come from him to become a pivotal figure for us.

Way back in 1986 I remember a reporter for one of the "qualities" explaining that what we were witnessing in the world cup was "los bastardos football". His definition was the application of the principles of team work to cheating. If one player hacks an opponent down four times he gets a yellow and risks more - so four players hack him down once each they escape without sanction. Yesterday we saw the point los bastardos football has reached after 35 years refinement. A Wolves team dedicated to tapping ankles, shirt grabbing, tripping, time wasting while at the same time injecting a degree of unpleasantness and contempt for opposition, fans and officials which is unprecedented in the PL. My prime concern was that los bastardos should wend their way back to Wolverhampton with precisely nothing to show for their disgraceful efforts. I hope Jimenez will face a charge for his display of time wasting AFTER his red card. And if you spend such a time trying to exploit the rules I'm actually glad that you lost to what you thought was a very dodgy penalty. And your manager had better realise that we enjoyed his fury since he must be at the back of that display.
All understandable thoughts.Anything else than a City win would have been a travesty.

I think unfortunately, our unhappy-looking manager is hamstrung by an extremely-rigid and drilled system introduced by our previous manner Nuno Santo. Football under Nuno seemed light years away from yesterday I agree, but its the same team except Moutinho is too old and Dendoncker has worsened. The midfield has zero mobility and so it just ping pongs back to defence. Raul Jimenez sometimes seems like he is 'half with it' since his head injury - I understand your wrath about him yesterday at the sending off, but it sadly seems to me he is not mentally with it at the level required. In clapping him off yesterday, believe me people were cursing him for his naivety/stupidity, but unless you understand what he has been through you wouldn't slate us for trying to support him. If you have a spare 30 minutes watch the documentary about his head injury RAUL JIMENEZ: CODE RED | FULL DOCUMENTARY - YouTube. What would you do if he was a City player? He is an excellent player but I am not convinced he has much of a career left, since his head injury.

But we do have 2 French players Saiss and the left back Ait Nouri who will roll and roll when touched and I don't like it. But I don't think 'los bastardos' football is a justifiable tag just because we can't match City's slick play. I think its more a matter that you struggled at times to overcome a strong, superbly-drilled defence, which shows it was nearly effective.

On the other hand, whilst I don't think Wolves were excessively dirty or anything, the lack of creativity is a real issue for us and it is something that may indeed see us dropping lower and lower, compared to Brighton for example, who I agree play some lovely football. But Brighton continue to go from strength to strength bringing in good new players whilst we have suddenly turned the tap off (well over a year ago) and hence we are just left with great but stagnating, ageing players. If you do not constantly refresh and update, the premiership will eat you up and spit you out, and I think that is what is slowly happening to Wolves, nothing more sinister than that.

Just seen a replay of the Rodri booking and it's identical to the first one Jimenez was booked for, Castagne of Leicester has just this minute seen yellow for one the same. Wolves fans seemed to delight in their teams continued shithousery, happy with Dias and Rodri getting booked, happy to see their guys drop to the ground at the slightest touch, happy to see the constant time wasting but bleating like fuck cos it came back and bit them on the arse. If I'd seem them play like that against Liverpool, Chelsea or the rags I'd have wanted them to lose on principle.
The Wolves fans were strange. They filled their section and were quite noisy (compared to others this season) but they spent the entire game abusing our fans, chanting about Paedos etc, instead of supporting their own team. Their players time wasted and faked injury from the first minute to the last. They managed two shots with only one on target (in the 94th minute). They played like a lower league club with no ambition at all and their manager bleated about the sending off and the penalty. Wolves fans can't be happy with that no matter how much they fixate on our fanbase.

The Wolves fans were strange. They filled their section and were quite noisy (compared to others this season) but they spent the entire game abusing our fans, chanting about Paedos etc, instead of supporting their own team. Their players time wasted and faked injury from the first minute to the last. They managed two shots with only one on target (in the 94th minute). They played like a lower league club with no ambition at all and their manager bleated about the sending off and the penalty. Wolves fans can't be happy with that no matter how much they fixate on our fanbase.
I thought the wolves fans were boring

All understandable thoughts.Anything else than a City win would have been a travesty.

I think unfortunately, our unhappy-looking manager is hamstrung by an extremely-rigid and drilled system introduced by our previous manner Nuno Santo. Football under Nuno seemed light years away from yesterday I agree, but its the same team except Moutinho is too old and Dendoncker has worsened. The midfield has zero mobility and so it just ping pongs back to defence. Raul Jimenez sometimes seems like he is 'half with it' since his head injury - I understand your wrath about him yesterday at the sending off, but it sadly seems to me he is not mentally with it at the level required. In clapping him off yesterday, believe me people were cursing him for his naivety/stupidity, but unless you understand what he has been through you wouldn't slate us for trying to support him. If you have a spare 30 minutes watch the documentary about his head injury RAUL JIMENEZ: CODE RED | FULL DOCUMENTARY - YouTube. What would you do if he was a City player? He is an excellent player but I am not convinced he has much of a career left, since his head injury.

But we do have 2 French players Saiss and the left back Ait Nouri who will roll and roll when touched and I don't like it. But I don't think 'los bastardos' football is a justifiable tag just because we can't match City's slick play. I think its more a matter that you struggled at times to overcome a strong, superbly-drilled defence, which shows it was nearly effective.

On the other hand, whilst I don't think Wolves were excessively dirty or anything, the lack of creativity is a real issue for us and it is something that may indeed see us dropping lower and lower, compared to Brighton for example, who I agree play some lovely football. But Brighton continue to go from strength to strength bringing in good new players whilst we have suddenly turned the tap off (well over a year ago) and hence we are just left with great but stagnating, ageing players. If you do not constantly refresh and update, the premiership will eat you up and spit you out, and I think that is what is slowly happening to Wolves, nothing more sinister than that.
You make fair points but the bottom line is that Wolves managed just two shots in the game with only one on target. When we played Newport in the FA Cup they had eight shots and three on target...and played some good football. We beat them but only with three very late goals. It is a long time since we have played a side who were so negative and teams park the bus against us every week. Wolves have had success attacking us in a smart way in the past.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.