Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

With players out namely Stones, Kev and Rodri we looked a bit out of ideas. This isn't going to be popular but I will say it, Phillips and Bobb are not the answers to our problem.
I’m willing to give Bobb sometime he’s only just got in as for Phillips I’d rather start with 10. Or if he has to play just tell him to go out on the pitch and run around and try not to get in the way of any of our play

He had three centre halves on him, as Pep pointed out, which makes it very difficult for him.
Also Foden and Alvares getting in the way making it very crowded in the central area. Kovacic playing passes into this area didn't help either. We sometimes work a way round this but yesterday it just didn't happen. Maybe KDB or Bernardo would've added some creativity and worked a way around it.

Reactions: OB1
In the grand scheme of things, losing to Wolves is no biggie, whereas losing to Arse would be.. I'd rather a defeat against Wolves than Arsenal.
I think that the team will be set up differently to how it was yesterday in the next 2 games.
I also think that Pep didn't want any further injuries to the players so instructed them accordingly.
Also he didn't seem unduly worried by the outcome.
We shall see.

I’ve seen the whole game now.

City’s performance was not awful; it was somewhat toothless going forward and maybe lacking intensity and conviction. The team did not lack effort though, you cannot dominate possession and territory as City did without putting in a shift.

When a team defends as Wolves did, you need a bit of magic or luck to break through and both were in short supply yesterday, Julian’s excellent free kick aside.

City didn’t even defend badly, despite the stick Ake is getting. Are had a tough time because it is difficult to defend high against a player who has such superior pace and space to run into.

City were very unfortunate to conceded 2 goals. Both Wolves goals had a couple of spawny elements to them plus a gol scorer who should have had a 2nd yellow long before he scored - a disgraceful piece of refereeing from the next to useless Pawson. Wolves literally got the breaks and City didn’t.

Bemoaning bad luck and the absence of key players does not change the fact that the team City fielded should have done better and Pep picked out failures in the process that he will no doubt talk to the team about this week and look to put right for two big games.

Looking forward, we have the two best midfield players in the world to come back, the best ball playing centre back and Bernardo. Kova and Jack are probably not at full match fitness yet and all the new signings and Bobb need time to get fully up to speed.

Last weekend, prior to Rodri losing his cool, City played some magnificent football and we looked to be warming up nicely. We’ve had a couple of bad results in a row, which is very unusual so ut is important to bounce back in midweek.

I am guessing that when we are refereed properly in the CL, we will be fine. More worried about next weekend. Have to wait and see, I suppose.

Rodri, Silva and De Bruyne probably our best three players out, plus Stones the fourth, that's a third of the team not just in experience but in the case of Rodri & Silva work-rate.

All the things that led to us dominating the game. Barely giving them a sniff of our goal. They scored twice against thr run of play and were fortunate to do so. They led at HT without having a shot on target

They defended very well, but they had to.
Not at all trying to be abrasive here just interested to get your view... would you not expect city to dominate a poor wolves though? And does allowing them to score twice against the run of play not speak more about our defending?

Unless you watched the game in full I think you may have been mislead by the stats... you say they barely had a sniff of goal but neither did city. No one in that team looked as if they wanted to step up and drive us to actually win the game as opposed to 'dominating' it.

Not at all trying to be abrasive here just interested to get your view... would you not expect city to dominate a poor wolves though? And does allowing them to score twice against the run of play not speak more about our defending?

Unless you watched the game in full I think you may have been mislead by the stats... you say they barely had a sniff of goal but neither did city. No one in that team looked as if they wanted to step up and drive us to actually win the game as opposed to 'dominating' it.

Wolves won the tactical battle. They'd have been delighted with a draw, the victory was a bonus.

Credit to them for a job well done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.