Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

Losing to Arsenal wouldn't matter half as much if we didnt lose yesterday though? So yes it absolutely is a biggie as I doubt any other rivals will be dropping points there. Im not understanding your thinking in saying this.
Yesterday has arguably put more pressure on city to not lose vs Arsenal considering injuries and suspensions at the moment.
The very, very worst case scenario going into the international break is that we are 2 points off top. The best is that we are 4 points top. There's no "pressure" win, lose or draw at this stage of the season.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the whole game now.

City’s performance was not awful; it was somewhat toothless going forward and maybe lacking intensity and conviction. The team did not lack effort though, you cannot dominate possession and territory as City did without putting in a shift.

When a team defends as Wolves did, you need a bit of magic or luck to break through and both were in short supply yesterday, Julian’s excellent free kick aside.

City didn’t even defend badly, despite the stick Ake is getting. Are had a tough time because it is difficult to defend high against a player who has such superior pace and space to run into.

City were very unfortunate to conceded 2 goals. Both Wolves goals had a couple of spawny elements to them plus a gol scorer who should have had a 2nd yellow long before he scored - a disgraceful piece of refereeing from the next to useless Pawson. Wolves literally got the breaks and City didn’t.

Bemoaning bad luck and the absence of key players does not change the fact that the team City fielded should have done better and Pep picked out failures in the process that he will no doubt talk to the team about this week and look to put right for two big games.

Looking forward, we have the two best midfield players in the world to come back, the best ball playing centre back and Bernardo. Kova and Jack are probably not at full match fitness yet and all the new signings and Bobb need time to get fully up to speed.

Last weekend, prior to Rodri losing his cool, City played some magnificent football and we looked to be warming up nicely. We’ve had a couple of bad results in a row, which is very unusual so ut is important to bounce back in midweek.
Thank you OB1 for such and excellent, balanced, analysis of the match. It's refreshing to read this after all the negative criticism of our performance. I'm as gutted as anyone but am amazed at the stick City are getting here.

It was a very disappointing result, but we're not going to win every game.

I thought Wolves were just better than us on the day - we weren't at top notch and Wolves played out of their skin. They were first to every ball and had some crucial bits of luck. I don't think it matters who the opposition are, if you catch pretty much any team in the PL on one of their purple days, you're going to struggle. Throw in our injuries and an inept referee and it added up to a loss for us.

I don't think there was much we could do about the team selection really. I thought Ake struggled against the excellent Neto but there's not much he can do if the guy is simply much quicker than him and had plenty of space to run into. Personally I think we should've tried to nullify him somehow because he was their main threat.

I don't know if it was a good decision to play Nunes so soon after he joined us - did it fire them up at all? I think he looks a competent player but I think he's going to need this season to bed in before showing us what he can do. Phillips struggled again for me, he's just not good enough and really looks cumbersome. On a different day, that little "tread" on their player could've been a card. It was a stupid thing to do.

The free kick from Alvarez was absolutely world class and he had to be absolutely perfect to have a chance of getting that. What a player he is.

Overall, one to forget.

Interesting,

For me a bit of petulant hand bags (Rodri) does not deserve a Red.

A dangerous challenge that can end a career or cause series injury should be a Red all day long.
Hands near anyones neck / face chest even = red now...soft yes but he sort of looked for it...un Rodri like

Agree with this. I can’t help thinking that the frustration is borne out of the regular players sensing the lack of genuine quality we have now. We have lost truly exceptional players and the replacements are good players but not top level. Rodri as much as said this recently. I feel Pep is frustrated by it too. Hopefully we get Silva and Stones back soon as we can’t compete with today’s midfield. Grealish will be better with more fitness and we need his ability and drive. Doku may prove to be a decent player but he’s not at the level yet. We need to settle on our midfield and make pragmatic decisions on those who will not take us forward.
You make some good points here but I have been worried about Jack for a while now. He carries and shields the ball well but never takes a player on (as Doku or even Nunes do) Nor does he go on the outside and put the crosses in. It's all sideways stuff and cutting in. Maybe he fears losing the ball or being hacked down. I'm sure he could beat players and therefore create more scoring opportunities but he won't. He's a great lad but something is holding him back.

He won't be at City long enough to do it.
Unless you have wide men who play the ball behind tge back 4 early, or a KDB when fit, maybe Bernie threading through the a narrow gap Erling will find it hard to score. I know i kept banging on from way b4cwe bought Wrling that Kane would have been a better fit. Love Erlings attitude and his power and strength is a huge asset but a team is not just a collection of good players, need to think about how we will score as a collective. For me our fase 9 was an amazing system, so hard to play against. Kane woud have been perfect dropping deep beung a provider and on other occasions beuming the finisher.. but we have gone down another route

You make some good points here but I have been worried about Jack for a while now. He carries and shields the ball well but never takes a player on (as Doku or even Nunes do) Nor does he go on the outside and put the crosses in. It's all sideways stuff and cutting in. Maybe he fears losing the ball or being hacked down. I'm sure he could beat players and therefore create more scoring opportunities but he won't. He's a great lad but something is holding him back.
Always played this way for us bar a burst before chumps league final. He doesn't really have too many tricks or lightening pace for a wide player,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.