Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

With players out namely Stones, Kev and Rodri we looked a bit out of ideas. This isn't going to be popular but I will say it, Phillips and Bobb are not the answers to our problem.
Bobb is just starting out - they lad has unbelievable skill and technique - no-one's saying he's the answer yet - no player on the planet with his level of experience would be the answer. But once he's been totally integrated into what we do, and character permitting, he'll be a colossal player for us.

The away games are always hard because we are the Champions, They always fancy a little bit of you to shout about.
This season was always going to be after the Lord Mayor's Show and how do you beat what we did last season

We will find a way to rise up and make some more headlines this season, let's not forget it's still very early and we sit top of the table so it's not that bad is it
Not at all. I just wish we wouldn't be so slow and mechanical away from the Etihad. Since the start of last season we've scored more than once in less than 40% of our away matches and that number gets much worse against what would be considered top sides...We won twice, drew 3, and lost 4 in the Prem v. the 9 other top half of the table clubs away scoring 1 or less 6 times, 11 goals total. We won 8 and lost once v. those same teams at home, scoring 29 times. In the CL v. Sevilla, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Leipzig, Bayern, and RM we were a perfect 6-0-0 with 24 goals scored at home. 1-5-0 away with 7 goals scored. Stark differences. We are absolute monsters at the Etihad and a very good squad away with more flat performances than maybe we should have...

I have to say that that was a complete and utter brain fart by Pep.
To slow getting the ball up the pitch.
Haaland placed in the centre of the box but no crosses being put in to exploit his height.
And of course Kovacic and Nunes being crabs all games playing the ball across the pitch - not forward.
Pep's biggest mistake yesterday by a country mile was not playing Gvardiol with both Rodri and Stones unavailable. Wolves were backing off of both Dias and Akanji while swarming our front 5 and daring both to do something with the ball that could hurt them. Dias had the one early ball into Nunes that Dawson took off Haaland's foot at the last second and Akanji had a decent shot on goal. That's the extent of it.
BTW, Neto plays on the attacking left every time I've ever seen him play. They took him away from Walker and he torched Ake for pace while Pep did nothing to adjust. Sometimes even the greatest ever can have a bad day at the office...

Yes, you're expressing an opinion and pep has his. Alvarez can play CF and Foden can adapt to that role, but Pep, quite rightly expects his players, even minus Bernardo, Kevin and co to be able to thread the ball through the gaps to Erling. In fact, I expect any pro footballer, especially a Prem player on £100k a week to be able to put the ball where they want to. That's why they're pro footballers and the rest of us aren't.

Is Erling an enigma? In the opinion of many he is. When Erling played against us for Dortmund, he was quiet in both games, but nevertheless some of his lay offs were absolutely world class. Some aspects of his game seem to go unnoticed.

You're quite right about what players should be able to do. It's a shame that they seem to have been unable to do it for the last couple of games. We're poor without Rodri, Bernardo and KDB.

As for 'some aspects' of Haaland's game going unnoticed, that's probably because he doesn't display them very often... He's an out and out goalscorer, that's 99.9% of his game. If his supply line is broken, he may as well not play, because the other 0.1% of his game isn't actually very good.

When it comes to contributing to the game during a barren spell, he ain't no Harry Kane, that's for sure.

I rewatched the highlights of United-Wolves game from first round, they missed big chances, even a sitter, and then didnt get a clear pen of Onana in extra time.
how the fuck team that can miss so many half chances, good chances vs United does score 2 against us from effectively one shot on target?

this needs to stop opponents develop a mindset that if they keep a clean sheet all they need is one chance vs us to score. same ones when they play United they can almost miss open net ones...

I rewatched the highlights of United-Wolves game from first round, they missed big chances, even a sitter, and then didnt get a clear pen of Onana in extra time.
how the fuck team that can miss so many half chances, good chances vs United does score 2 against us from effectively one shot on target?

this needs to stop opponents develop a mindset that if they keep a clean sheet all they need is one chance vs us to score. same ones when they play United they can almost miss open net ones...
Father Ruben Dunne ;)

Not at all. I just wish we wouldn't be so slow and mechanical away from the Etihad. Since the start of last season we've scored more than once in less than 40% of our away matches and that number gets much worse against what would be considered top sides...We won twice, drew 3, and lost 4 in the Prem v. the 9 other top half of the table clubs away scoring 1 or less 6 times, 11 goals total. We won 8 and lost once v. those same teams at home, scoring 29 times. In the CL v. Sevilla, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Leipzig, Bayern, and RM we were a perfect 6-0-0 with 24 goals scored at home. 1-5-0 away with 7 goals scored. Stark differences. We are absolute monsters at the Etihad and a very good squad away with more flat performances than maybe we should have...
Well said. Our ‘poor’ away form is hardly ever discussed as the fact we are so good at home and usually end up winning the league masks over it. It’s certainly worth discussing though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.