Wolves thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being born in 1971 I missed all that, my first game was 1979 when we had the likes of Andy Gray, John Richards, Kenny Hibbitt, George Berry, Willie Carr, Derek Parkin but then into the 1980s a real decline with the elusive Bhatti brothers owning the club but they were in it for property development not football and we almost went out of business and plummeted to Division 4 after selling Wayne Clarke to Birmingham as we needed the money.

At the start of the 1986 season we appointed 33 year old rookie Brian Little as boss but he didn't last long before being replaced by former Shrewsbury and Villa boss Graham Turner (lifelong Wolves fan) who then signed a 21 year old rough diamond from West Brom - Steve Bull, that was THE turning point!

We missed out in the first ever play off semis (losing to Aldershot) but then the following season with Bully notching 50 odd goals we won Division 4 and were promoted to Division 3. We won that too, Bully scored another 50 odd goals and got into the England team. We also won the Sherpa Van Trophy, beating Burnley.

We spent all of the 1990s in the second tier, big spending under exiled Wolves fan Sir Jack Hayward who rebuilt the stadium and promising much but achieving little on the field. Graham Turner was replaced by Graham Taylor in 1994, after a couple of years he was replaced by Mark McGhee then Colin Lee and into the 2000s we came, appointing Dave Jones who got us promoted via the play off final in Cardiff 2003 and Wolves were back in the big time - but just for a season, we were whipping boys making up the numbers and promptly returned to the 2nd tier.

Glenn Hoddle replaced DJ but then after leading us to copious 1-1 draws quit by text on the day that England were playing Portugal (how apt!) at WC 2006. Our squad by then was threadbare and in came Mick McCarthy who got us into the play offs against all odds where we lost to rivals West Brom before storming to the title the following season, 2008-09.

Mick gave us 3 seasons in the Prem before being sacked and replaced by his assistant Terry Connor who took us down to the Championship. Norweigan Stale Solbakken came in but only lasted until January when he was sacked after an FA Cup defeat to Luton and replaced by Dean Saunders. DEAN SAUNDERS!! What a joke he was! Took us down to League 2 which was unthinkable.

Luckily Kenny Jackett came in and brought us back up as champions the following season and after a couple of years of mid table mediocrity where owner Steve Morgan put us up for sale and the loathsome Jez Moxey had full rein of the club.

Then in the summer of 2016 we heard rumours of Jackett being replaced by Spaniard Julen Lopategui when the new Chinese owners took over - this was the first any of us knew of any Chinese interest! These rumours went on for weeks with no confirmation or denial from Wolves, nothing was said whatsoever but there seemed too much info for it to be made up. We finally had confirmation that Morgan had sold the club to Chinese conglomerate Fosun and about half an hour later, Lopetegui took the Spain job!

We ended up with Italy legend Walter Zenga as manager, mad as a box of frogs, charismatic, the antithesis of Kenny Jackett with his ripped jeans, bangles and tattoos and getting banned from a local pub for brawling with the bouncers who wouldn't let him in wearing Wolves trackie and trainers. In October he was fired and replaced with the dull and dour Scot Paul Lambert until the end of the season. Then along came Nuno Espirito Santo, the rest as they say...

Anyway, I'm on a Manchester City forum so I doubt many of you have lasted to the end of this long, drawn out post!

I didnt read the first two paragraphs then thought fuck it

Being born in 1971 I missed all that, my first game was 1979 when we had the likes of Andy Gray, John Richards, Kenny Hibbitt, George Berry, Willie Carr, Derek Parkin but then into the 1980s a real decline with the elusive Bhatti brothers owning the club but they were in it for property development not football and we almost went out of business and plummeted to Division 4 after selling Wayne Clarke to Birmingham as we needed the money.

At the start of the 1986 season we appointed 33 year old rookie Brian Little as boss but he didn't last long before being replaced by former Shrewsbury and Villa boss Graham Turner (lifelong Wolves fan) who then signed a 21 year old rough diamond from West Brom - Steve Bull, that was THE turning point!

We missed out in the first ever play off semis (losing to Aldershot) but then the following season with Bully notching 50 odd goals we won Division 4 and were promoted to Division 3. We won that too, Bully scored another 50 odd goals and got into the England team. We also won the Sherpa Van Trophy, beating Burnley.

We spent all of the 1990s in the second tier, big spending under exiled Wolves fan Sir Jack Hayward who rebuilt the stadium and promising much but achieving little on the field. Graham Turner was replaced by Graham Taylor in 1994, after a couple of years he was replaced by Mark McGhee then Colin Lee and into the 2000s we came, appointing Dave Jones who got us promoted via the play off final in Cardiff 2003 and Wolves were back in the big time - but just for a season, we were whipping boys making up the numbers and promptly returned to the 2nd tier.

Glenn Hoddle replaced DJ but then after leading us to copious 1-1 draws quit by text on the day that England were playing Portugal (how apt!) at WC 2006. Our squad by then was threadbare and in came Mick McCarthy who got us into the play offs against all odds where we lost to rivals West Brom before storming to the title the following season, 2008-09.

Mick gave us 3 seasons in the Prem before being sacked and replaced by his assistant Terry Connor who took us down to the Championship. Norweigan Stale Solbakken came in but only lasted until January when he was sacked after an FA Cup defeat to Luton and replaced by Dean Saunders. DEAN SAUNDERS!! What a joke he was! Took us down to League 2 which was unthinkable.

Luckily Kenny Jackett came in and brought us back up as champions the following season and after a couple of years of mid table mediocrity where owner Steve Morgan put us up for sale and the loathsome Jez Moxey had full rein of the club.

Then in the summer of 2016 we heard rumours of Jackett being replaced by Spaniard Julen Lopategui when the new Chinese owners took over - this was the first any of us knew of any Chinese interest! These rumours went on for weeks with no confirmation or denial from Wolves, nothing was said whatsoever but there seemed too much info for it to be made up. We finally had confirmation that Morgan had sold the club to Chinese conglomerate Fosun and about half an hour later, Lopetegui took the Spain job!

We ended up with Italy legend Walter Zenga as manager, mad as a box of frogs, charismatic, the antithesis of Kenny Jackett with his ripped jeans, bangles and tattoos and getting banned from a local pub for brawling with the bouncers who wouldn't let him in wearing Wolves trackie and trainers. In October he was fired and replaced with the dull and dour Scot Paul Lambert until the end of the season. Then along came Nuno Espirito Santo, the rest as they say...

Anyway, I'm on a Manchester City forum so I doubt many of you have lasted to the end of this long, drawn out post!

I disagree with you mate regarding being drawn out if it very enlightening, thanks for posting.

I disagree with you mate regarding being drawn out if it very enlightening, thanks for posting.

Thanks mate, I didn't intend posting all that when I started but it just came. Its all part and parcel of supporting our clubs isn't it, the highs and the lows. I wouldn't change any of that in the past as I think its what makes the club and its support what it is. The hopes and expectations, the exhileration of promotion, the desperation of missing out or relegation. We have had our bad times but other clubs have had far worse, some clubs never have good times and just tread water. We have managers we love (Big Mick and Nuno for me) and ones we hate (Saunders), poor players, decent players, ones who fail to live up to the hype, players who exceed expectations and superstars.

I would say that most Wolves fans now love all of our players, they are all heroes and Nuno probably the most univerally loved manager too. For as good as Big Mick was, there were pockets of supporters who never took to him though I have never understood this. I have met both away from football (Nuno on holiday in Portugal and Mick in a local restaurant) and both were great, true gents and both acknowledged me later on when I saw them. I met and chatted to Dave Jones too who was ok but his daughter made a complaint to my employers as I mentioned it on our Molineux Mix forum, that left a sour taste with me

There must be many teams that do not possess your history. I remember my earliest introduction to European football were the games against the likes of Honved. This was in the fifties and we used to watch on a 12 inch tele, you were the pioneers of continental games.
My only gripe was my first visit to you old place and we got battered 8-0, still hurts even though it 1961 or 62. Any way good luck for the rest of the season.

There must be many teams that do not possess your history. I remember my earliest introduction to European football were the games against the likes of Honved. This was in the fifties and we used to watch on a 12 inch tele, you were the pioneers of continental games.
My only gripe was my first visit to you old place and we got battered 8-0, still hurts even though it 1961 or 62. Any way good luck for the rest of the season.

Thankyou, same to you!

I have heard and seen the pictures of the great floodlit games of the 1950s, Billy Wright and the boys in their shiny gold shirts.

When the rebuilt Molineux was opened in December 1993, we played an evening friendly against Honved which I of course attended and all of the 50s stars came out onto the pitch before kick off and Ferenc Puskas too. Sadly I think they've all since passed

Thanks mate, I didn't intend posting all that when I started but it just came. Its all part and parcel of supporting our clubs isn't it, the highs and the lows. I wouldn't change any of that in the past as I think its what makes the club and its support what it is. The hopes and expectations, the exhileration of promotion, the desperation of missing out or relegation. We have had our bad times but other clubs have had far worse, some clubs never have good times and just tread water. We have managers we love (Big Mick and Nuno for me) and ones we hate (Saunders), poor players, decent players, ones who fail to live up to the hype, players who exceed expectations and superstars.

I would say that most Wolves fans now love all of our players, they are all heroes and Nuno probably the most univerally loved manager too. For as good as Big Mick was, there were pockets of supporters who never took to him though I have never understood this. I have met both away from football (Nuno on holiday in Portugal and Mick in a local restaurant) and both were great, true gents and both acknowledged me later on when I saw them. I met and chatted to Dave Jones too who was ok but his daughter made a complaint to my employers as I mentioned it on our Molineux Mix forum, that left a sour taste with me
My favourite Mick McCarthy story is when he played for City and standing on the Kippax hearing 4 different blues saying their respective local pubs were his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.