Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't remember seeing this posted. Decent little video on the Girl's Academy

Still doesn’t explain how bloody awful that City Academy team have been with regard to results and league position. Where is the talent coming through?
Hate to say it but at present the Ragettes have the best Academy team and they won the Womens FA Youth Cup last season.
Are the two girls in the Alex Scott documentary still with City?? Trying to find any information about our Academy players is impossible.
Expected a lot more from Jayne Ludlow to be honest.

We played our best football with Christiansen making the midfield tick. Yes Duggan and Ross did well but they had plenty of support from midfield and wingers too. It was the time before we stagnated for a few years with passing the ball back to our defenders too often.
Dead right, T. The direction with Izzy and Jill Scott in the midfield, Duggan upfront was always forward. i just don't recall the possession based game we play now with as many passes going sideways and backwards. I'm hoping the new recruits can adopt a more direct approach.

I’m thinking about the couple of seasons after Christiansen left / stopped being selected when we didn’t seem to have much of a shoe of play.

We were a lot more progressive in the 2nd half of last season (and that was also the case for most of the season we had San Mewis in the side).
Think you've nailed a lot of this style of play stuff here, like with the men's team pre-Pep, if you try and play a passing game but don't have central midfielders willing and capable of keeping and advancing the ball, then at best you'll spend ages passing in a horse-shoe around the opposition's area (and probably quite a lot of passing back to defenders too). You need the right players for it.

Not to say we've been playing cloggers in midfielder but there was a huge drop-off in that area when Christiansen left, the likes of Scott, Stanway and Coombs can't do that sort of stuff consistently. Mewis coming in was a such a big improvement on her own and for the improvement in Weir. Not sure how we tackle that this year but at least we have Hemp and Kelly fit, wingers that good ease the burden massively.

Still doesn’t explain how bloody awful that City Academy team have been with regard to results and league position. Where is the talent coming through?
Hate to say it but at present the Ragettes have the best Academy team and they won the Womens FA Youth Cup last season.
Are the two girls in the Alex Scott documentary still with City?? Trying to find any information about our Academy players is impossible.
Expected a lot more from Jayne Ludlow to be honest.
Yes it has all gone quiet on the Ludlow front, saw a fair bit when she was first appointed and I think everyone was thinking this would be the start of the girls academy growing like that of their counterparts. Maybe @tolmie will start to give us a few bits of insider info now his daughter has joined. Am sure there was another poster who has a young daughter there too but can't remember who - sorry whoever you are.

Ballon d’or nominations.
No problem with Millie Bright and Beth Mead being shortlisted……but Lucy Bronze!!! Beggars belief!!
Continues to be one of the most overrated female players of the last 10 years. Club form = poor to average. Euros form = poor to average.
If you were to nominate a third England player it would not be Lucy Bronze.
Keira Walsh or Leah Williamson were considerably better than Bronze.

Ballon d’or nominations.
No problem with Millie Bright and Beth Mead being shortlisted……but Lucy Bronze!!! Beggars belief!!
Continues to be one of the most overrated female players of the last 10 years. Club form = poor to average. Euros form = poor to average.
If you were to nominate a third England player it would not be Lucy Bronze.
Keira Walsh or Leah Williamson were considerably better than Bronze.

Surprised she's nominated as she's not had a great season and has struggled with injury but harsh to say she's been overrated for 10 years. She's been top drawer through the years.

Surprised she's nominated as she's not had a great season and has struggled with injury but harsh to say she's been overrated for 10 years. She's been top drawer through the years.

Agree, she has been very good and if you look at her positives, she always tries to have an impact on the game. However, this last season and the Euros saw more mistakes, sometimes outweighing these positives.

With these awards though, once you've been selected a few times and your face fits, it seems like it stays longer than it should (see one C.Ronaldo...).

If you believe that, you need to watch more football even if it's just to get a better idea of the competition. She was way off her peak last season and was still comfortably one of the best right-backs in the league. But then again, maybe you do know better than Barca and Lyon.

100%. Even then she wasn't actively bad, she's just not as good or as consistently fit as she was around 2019.

Yes it has all gone quiet on the Ludlow front, saw a fair bit when she was first appointed and I think everyone was thinking this would be the start of the girls academy growing like that of their counterparts. Maybe @tolmie will start to give us a few bits of insider info now his daughter has joined. Am sure there was another poster who has a young daughter there too but can't remember who - sorry whoever you are.
I spoke to the youth development team at MCFC to enquire about how they pick up talent, as my daughter is pretty good for her age.

I was told that we only have 30 players between the ages of 8-14 and they're scouted from boys teams, using the same scout network that cover boys. Which makes sense as I imagine that's where the best talent is - although the standard of girls football is improving rapidly so may be a little short sighted.

The other North West teams host regional talent trials but I've been told that MUFC won't be doing that anymore as they had over 1,000 applications for this summer's event.

MCFC did tell me that they're open to girls attending a few sessions with their youth squad if someone is deemed good enough. So if my daughter does well at U9s this season I'll definitely get back in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.