Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
If enough people cared then the business would provide.
This is a thought that just came to me. How many Aké, Ortega or Scott Carson shirts do you reckon are sold? I'm sure some people purchase them but not nearly as many as the stars of the team. However, the opportunity is there for someone to purchase one.

There is not the same opportunity for a fan of MacIver, Castellanos, Fowler, et al. Would the aforementioned male players sell more shirts? Maybe but possibly not many more.

If I can purchase one on my own by selecting to "personalise " a shirt with a player's name and number who isn't offered, it would take little effort for it to be "officially offered."

Last edited:
Taylor was in sky and asked about the players who left it was pity he didn’t mention the wage cap because if they want the woman’s game to improve that has to be binned off

The wage cap probably isn't the main factor in explaining the departures though. It's set at 40% of turnover but (if im understanding things correctly) turnover can include funding from the parent club. So we could put more in and pay higher wages if we really want to.

The wage cap probably isn't the main factor in explaining the departures though. It's set at 40% of turnover but (if im understanding things correctly) turnover can include funding from the parent club. So we could put more in and pay higher wages if we really want to.
Mate, we've had this discussion over and over in this thread (or maybe the last one?) people just don't want to hear it. Easier to blame a wage cap than accept City aren't doing all they could.

Mate, we've had this discussion over and over in this thread (or maybe the last one?) people just don't want to hear it. Easier to blame a wage cap than accept City aren't doing all they could.

Yeah, like tbh, if people want to argue the case that the women's team should be self sufficient then that's fine, (although it's not like our men's team didn't benefit from having a parent company pump loads of money in.) But it definitely seems off the mark to assume the loss of players is down to a salary cap when we could pay more in wages if we wanted to. Personally i'd like to see us putting more into it and help speed up the development of the women's game.

Yeah, like tbh, if people want to argue the case that the women's team should be self sufficient then that's fine, (although it's not like our men's team didn't benefit from having a parent company pump loads of money in.) But it definitely seems off the mark to assume the loss of players is down to a salary cap when we could pay more in wages if we wanted to. Personally i'd like to see us putting more into it and help speed up the development of the women's game.
100%. Not to mention the negative impact getting rid of the salary cap could have on the overall state of the league, there's still plenty of teams barely paying players living wages. Yeah, it might encourage people to spend more and raise the overall level, but it might also leave us with a few teams running away with it and the rest absolutely miles off and uncompetitive.

100%. Not to mention the negative impact getting rid of the salary cap could have on the overall state of the league, there's still plenty of teams barely paying players living wages. Yeah, it might encourage people to spend more and raise the overall level, but it might also leave us with a few teams running away with it and the rest absolutely miles off and uncompetitive.

Yeah, like i get that the idea of a cap is to make growth sustainable and stop teams running away with it. But I also think it's kind of unfair to make elite female players pay for the mistakes made in the men's game.

Yeah, like i get that the idea of a cap is to make growth sustainable and stop teams running away with it. But I also think it's kind of unfair to make elite female players pay for the mistakes made in the men's game.
Yeah, there's a balance has to be found at the end of the day

Yeah, there's a balance has to be found at the end of the day

For sure. But whatever the case, it must be frustrating seeing the men's game being allowed to drive itself further into the ground with leveraged buyouts etc and owners piling more debt onto clubs and yet be told, as a top female footballer, that it'd be irresponsible to pay them more.

For sure. But whatever the case, it must be frustrating seeing the men's game being allowed to drive itself further into the ground with leveraged buyouts etc and owners piling more debt onto clubs and yet be told, as a top female footballer, that it'd be irresponsible to pay them more.
Yeah, no argument. I think if they start examining the wage cap situation it needs to follow along with a minimum salary requirement as well, at least then while you are increasing what's possible at the top, you're making sure that there's some growth/balance at the other end too.

They will see how that interest pans out this season and maybe next, the business will sell to customers that are there.

There has always been interest in womens football (Can we use that term now ) but that interest has been in matches like the world cup in this country or the Olympics etc.

|Have we got the numbers available? How many season tickets have been sold as yet? What is the rise compared to last season? Business will look at these numbers before jumping in with both feet.

With the recent success of the England Women's team and the uplift of interest shown throughout the competition, imo it seems a bit shortsighted not to try and capitalise on it at club level.

I am pretty sure that there are now many more young girls who will have been motivated to either watch or take part as a result of the England success, and without the bigger WC, European competions to watch, will try and persuade parents to take them to watch games at club level.

Out of interest, I am looking at the Cricket 100 competition and the crowds attending , and seeing the numbers of young girls and boys who are attending and wearing the shirts of competing teams.

Why not in football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.