Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
We turned down a bid from Barcelona for Walsh but you bet they’ve been offering her double the money! Wonder how long she has on her contract?

Well if they are offering to double her money then we should be offering to do the same if we are serious about keeping her. And if we don't value her at that then we should let her go and play for someone else who does. The wages on offer in the women's game mean they can't afford to be left waiting around earning anything less than their full potential. She's widely respected by her peers as one of the best in the world, player of the match in the Euros final and a city fan too. We should be doing everything we can to keep her and be looking to build the team around her.

Well if they are offering to double her money then we should be offering to do the same if we are serious about keeping her. And if we don't value her at that then we should let her go and play for someone else who does. The wages on offer in the women's game mean they can't afford to be left waiting around earning anything less than their full potential. She's widely respected by her peers as one of the best in the world, player of the match in the Euros final and a city fan too. We should be doing everything we can to keep her and be looking to build the team around her.

We might be on the limit of the wage cap so we may not be able to offer her more money..

We might be on the limit of the wage cap so we may not be able to offer her more money..
The constraints posed by the wage cap is a bit of myth though. We are free to put more money into the women's team if we want to, therefore increase the "turnover" and therefore raise our salary threshold. They don't have the same rules on related parties as the men's teams. That's how Chelsea pay Sam Kerr £400k per year and we can do the same if we want to.

The constraints posed by the wage cap is a bit of myth though. We are free to put more money into the women's team if we want to, therefore increase the "turnover" and therefore raise our salary threshold. They don't have the same rules on related parties as the men's teams. That's how Chelsea pay Sam Kerr £400k per year and we can do the same if we want to.

If we are subject to other clubs attempting to take our players , it suggests that City are not prepared to invest sufficient to retain our better players.

In the past we lost players to Lyon who were a top club in Women's football, but we now seem to be at risk of losing to more clubs of a lesser standing.

I guess it is now up to the club to decide whether the team is going to be competitive in the WSL and also compared to clubs in Europe.

Could do with having this explanation pinned given how often these wage cap takes pop up.

Ah right, thanks for that info I didn’t know that..

If we are subject to other clubs attempting to take our players , it suggests that City are not prepared to invest sufficient to retain our better players.

In the past we lost players to Lyon who were a top club in Women's football, but we now seem to be at risk of losing to more clubs of a lesser standing.

I guess it is now up to the club to decide whether the team is going to be competitive in the WSL and also compared to clubs in Europe.

Exactly. It's up to City whether or not they want to compete at the highest level. If they want to, they can match the investment other clubs and leagues are putting into the game. And if they don't want to match that investment then they won't be retaining their top players or attracting anyone decent to replace them. It's odd to me that just as the women's game is gaining a lot of momemtum we seem to be tapping out. In the past it was only really Lyon who were able to cherry pick the best players but the spanish teams are investing more heavily now too.

Exactly. It's up to City whether or not they want to compete at the highest level. If they want to, they can match the investment other clubs and leagues are putting into the game. And if they don't want to match that investment then they won't be retaining their top players or attracting anyone decent to replace them. It's odd to me that just as the women's game is gaining a lot of momemtum we seem to be tapping out. In the past it was only really Lyon who were able to cherry pick the best players but the spanish teams are investing more heavily now too.

I agree that now seems the perfect time to be investing in better quality players especially with the increase in interest following the success of the England team.

I would have expected the club to have seen the opportunities presented to invest more into the team as we are still some way of the level of Chelsea in the WSL alone.

I have no real idea of how we compare to European clubs, but suspect that we are lagging behind in investment terms.

I agree that now seems the perfect time to be investing in better quality players especially with the increase in interest following the success of the England team.

I would have expected the club to have seen the opportunities presented to invest more into the team as we are still some way of the level of Chelsea in the WSL alone.

I have no real idea of how we compare to European clubs, but suspect that we are lagging behind in investment terms.

Aside from investment, there just seems to be no real direction or strategy at City either (I guess you could argue that that eventually comes down to investment too though) . When you look at the Barcelona team it's insane how many of them are Catalonian or from with a couple of hours radius of the the city. They're built an amazing foundation there of local players and then complimented it with just a handful of top drawer overseas signings. It's clearly reaping benefits for the national team too.

It really seemed like the future was bright when we invested in great infrastructure for the women and built a ground right next to The Etihad. But how many have we brought through since then? I saw a lot of city fans whingeing that we weren't getting enough credit for our contribution to England's performances at the euros, but most of the City players in that squad weren't developed by us. I don't know a whole lot about what is going on at youth level at City but those in the know seem to be suggesting that it's not much and that United have overtaken us on that front. I don't think we seem an especially attractive proposition to top overseas players at the moment and i can't imagine the likes of Lauren Hemp will be sticking around much longer when we seem to be losing ground on Chelsea and Arsenal domestically too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.