Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the recent success of the England Women's team and the uplift of interest shown throughout the competition, imo it seems a bit shortsighted not to try and capitalise on it at club level.

I am pretty sure that there are now many more young girls who will have been motivated to either watch or take part as a result of the England success, and without the bigger WC, European competions to watch, will try and persuade parents to take them to watch games at club level.

Out of interest, I am looking at the Cricket 100 competition and the crowds attending , and seeing the numbers of young girls and boys who are attending and wearing the shirts of competing teams.

Why not in football ?
I do think the women's team may sell more shirts this year. Have you tried to find a Lionesses home shirt? It is virtually, if not literally, impossible. Some merchants still have the red away but the white home ones are sold our everywhere I've looked.

I agree with you. I think a good number of new fans, male and female, of all ages, will be coming out to watch the WSL matches this season.

No surprise that one of Europe's top clubs wants Keira. I was fearing the worst when we signed Aleixandri as she seemed the natural replacement for the position so was thinking that Walsh was another that would join the exodus. Still a couple more weeks left in the window though so guess it's nail-chewing time. No doubt Lucy Bronze wouldn't mind her "bestie" joining up with her there.

If our #1 MCFC fan - Keira Walsh - leaves the club in the next few weeks then Gareth Taylor must be sacked.
This hopeless clown has no discernible skills in football management.
The quality players he has had under his command is astonishing….but he has treated them all the same.
”Can you pass the ball backwards and sideways…..as well as forwards??”

After Stanway, Bronze and Weir left City, and as far as I know no such players have chosen to leave Arsenal and Chelsea, I feared who would leave City next summer. Hemp, Kelly, Walsh, Roebuck?
I didn't think about the possibility of anyone of them going this summer!
As others have said, something is going wrong at City (women). If it were the wage cap causing the problem then other teams (Chelsea, Arsenal) would be suffering an exodus of their top players. Goodness me, not good!

If the club can't take the womens team seriously at the top level then disband it.
What's the point of developing all our own talent to then have to flog them to potless Barca or a Madrid team thats only been going 5 mins.
Get a top class female European or U.S coach in who can bond a team together and get the very best from them.

Absolutely screwed if we lose Walsh but I don't see how we can hold onto her if Barcelona are interested. Sorry state of affairs if a club of our resources can't be holding onto its homegrown talent. Even as a massive City fan it's a no brainer for her. If the club aren't backing the women's team then why stick around. May as well try life with her partner in Barca, win the league and probs deliver a champions League trophy. No chance of it happening with us at the mo and unless we start taking it seriously we'll be playing second fiddle to United in Manchester q soon.

Last edited:
We turned down a bid from Barcelona for Walsh but you bet they’ve been offering her double the money! Wonder how long she has on her contract?

We turned down a bid from Barcelona for Walsh but you bet they’ve been offering her double the money! Wonder how long she has on her contract?
Hope it's just a case of Barcelona stumping up the cash rather than keeping her against her wishes. Seems rather vindictive of us to deny her the opportunity to go if that's what she wants. It's not like the mens game where there's ridiculous amounts of money involved.

I don't think the womens team is going backwards, it's just been sideways for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.