Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
To back that up, the women's team has a base structure academy, leagues and is exploring ways to bridge the gap from youth to professional. I'd say the club are playing a long-term build technique...

CITY did appear to revolutionise the WSL when it was a summer league. Now, what innovation will they apply next?
How long have you worked in the P.R. Department for the City Women's team? :)

How long have you worked in the P.R. Department for the City Women's team? :)
I wish, but just look around the Etihad Campus and you see that there is much more going on for women's football than 5 years ago... much more. I'd also argue the signings we made were an indication on how strong the pull from the WSL to the continent is too.

To back that up, the women's team has a base structure academy, leagues and is exploring ways to bridge the gap from youth to professional. I'd say the club are playing a long-term build technique...

CITY did appear to revolutionise the WSL when it was a summer league. Now, what innovation will they apply next?

Well, our most recent innovation has been to play all season with a buffoon in charge...

Though that's the equality we have at City I guess, maybe the women are just catching up to the mid-1990s men's team...

I wish, but just look around the Etihad Campus and you see that there is much more going on for women's football than 5 years ago... much more. I'd also argue the signings we made were an indication on how strong the pull from the WSL to the continent is too.

There is, and if that was just true of City we'd be making massive strides at the moment. But it isn't, as there's all sorts of improvements going on throughout women's football and what's going on at City at the moment is just barely keeping us standing still.

I know we had a big overhaul of the team last season and we lost some great players. The players we've signed have generally been decent, but we need to keep them and build on it. Clearly there have been some important changes behind the scenes and hopefully these can have an impact this next season, rather than a few years down the line.

It feels to me that they thought they could just coast along. Chelsea and Arsenal were so established that nobody would really mind so long as we were vaguely in the mix with them each season. And then the drop off in competitiveness in the league after us was so big that they didn't need to think too much about it.
That would have been a disappointing enough attitude for them to have taken in the first place, but on top of that it's awful planning as they haven't been prepared for United to really get their act together in such a short space of time and then for the popularity of the game to grow so quickly off the back of the England team's success. A couple of astute signing from Villa over summer and they will be well up there next year too. The recruitment of Nielsen does at least feel like some kind of statement of intent to put things right.
Seconded on this.

I've been thinking for a while about how much effort the club put into the signing of England players, and how much emphasis they've put on the least City Women-specific part of the set-up - the training facilities - to big up how serious we are as a team. Combine that with the approach to coaches (even hiring and keep Cushing for so long was kind of weird) and the funding situation, and it all just smacks of the leadership not really caring to push things but still wanting the good publicity.

Sorry to be negative, but this is so generous. Any mention of our academy, in articles or from parents etc posting on here, is to talk about how lacking it is. And what did we revolutionise in the WSL back in the day? We weren't the first club to professionalise as far as I know and it's not like we went on the rampage and won everything, we pushed for trophies, won a few, and stopped the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea from winning on the cheap but that wasn't exactly revolutionary.

I wish, but just look around the Etihad Campus and you see that there is much more going on for women's football than 5 years ago... much more.
Same as above, like what? All we hear about is how lacklustre things are at the youth level and how nobody knows what the hell people like Gavin Makel or Jayne Ludlow actually do. I'd love to hear some details to actually feel optimism about the direction of things tbh!

Seconded on this.

I've been thinking for a while about how much effort the club put into the signing of England players, and how much emphasis they've put on the least City Women-specific part of the set-up - the training facilities - to big up how serious we are as a team. Combine that with the approach to coaches (even hiring and keep Cushing for so long was kind of weird) and the funding situation, and it all just smacks of the leadership not really caring to push things but still wanting the good publicity.

Sorry to be negative, but this is so generous. Any mention of our academy, in articles or from parents etc posting on here, is to talk about how lacking it is. And what did we revolutionise in the WSL back in the day? We weren't the first club to professionalise as far as I know and it's not like we went on the rampage and won everything, we pushed for trophies, won a few, and stopped the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea from winning on the cheap but that wasn't exactly revolutionary.

Same as above, like what? All we hear about is how lacklustre things are at the youth level and how nobody knows what the hell people like Gavin Makel or Jayne Ludlow actually do. I'd love to hear some details to actually feel optimism about the direction of things tbh!

Fair enough. I'm a fairweather women's team irregular. Can't make all with the clashes, few sold out. Guess I'm comparing them to how they were at the Regional Athletics stadium, and how visible the attendance of younger players is, plus the league is short and 2 or 3 games played bad ruins it all. Guess, I'm educated and it just looks shiny and bright.

Fair enough. I'm a fairweather women's team irregular. Can't make all with the clashes, few sold out. Guess I'm comparing them to how they were at the Regional Athletics stadium, and how visible the attendance of younger players is, plus the league is short and 2 or 3 games played bad ruins it all. Guess, I'm educated and it just looks shiny and bright.
Fair dos mate, you absolutely have a point with that stuff to be fair, sadly we just have to balance it with the other crap as well!

I may literally shed a tear the day our Chloe leaves for another team. If things continue as they are here it may happen sooner than later

Get your tissues ready… Hemp and Kelly will be the next ones out of the door - they’ll have offers from better clubs and they‘d be crazy not to take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.