Women's Team Thread 2023/2024

Are we contracted to play a minimum number of home WSL games at the Joie stadium as part of the sponsorship agreement with the company?
Don't know about this, but can see it making sense from the sponsors point of view to have something like that included in the deal.

It won't happen at this stage now. They've had plenty of lead time to make it happen but have chosen not to. It's a shame when you have Arsenal getting 42k for a dead rubber against Leicester last week to not see City maximising opportunities to get more fans through the gates and give our attendances a much needed boost.
I think it's probably down to logistics with fixture issues/TV.

With both teams home this weekend, there would have been doubt about the mens game, given we were still in europe 2 weeks ago, so both fixtures might have had to be moved at short notice, and quite possible had to be played at the same time.

It's a shame, but it is what it is.

The most important thing is to get the points we need.

With both teams home this weekend, there would have been doubt about the mens game, given we were still in europe 2 weeks ago, so both fixtures might have had to be moved at short notice, and quite possible had to be played at the same time.

The most important thing is to get the points wee need.
I think it could be a positive as they need to win a big game and the risk of doing that in front of 53k adding more pressure.

We will never know, but it all being as familiar as it can could be the best way forwards.

The most important thing is to get the points wee need.
I think this might be a generous reading of things though. Arsenal managed to commit to 6 games at the Emirates at the start of the season and their men's team were in the same boat as us i.e. in the champions league and likely title contenders.

FWIW I don't think there's as much of a pressing need to bring City women's fixtures to the men's stadium compared to other teams, as we have great fit for purpose stadium already and it's in the same locations as the men's (as opposed to other teams playing well out of town and being less accessible). BUT we should be identifying where the opportunities are to grow our crowds and give our players the opportunity to play on the biggest stages. If other teams can make it work we should be able to as well. This kind of thing will also start factoring into the mindsets of big players when choosing who to sign for in future. Obviously money and trophies will come into the argument, but once Arsenal have permanently moved to the Emirates, the opportunity to play to huge crowd every home game (and the commercial opportunities that brings) will be a huge lure.

I think it could be a positive as they need to win a big game and the risk of doing that in front of 53k adding more pressure.

We will never know, but it all being as familiar as it can could be the best way forwards.

I think there are definitely some pros to playing in a sell out Joie stadium but i very much doubt that they are the reason why this game hasn't happened at the Etihad. And I think the players would absolutely thrive playing in front of 53k. Don't think anything will ever eclipse the pressure that came playing in a sold out Wembley in the Euros final for the likes of Greenwood, Kelly and Hemp. They love it.

I think this might be a generous reading of things though.
It might just be City's readong of it.

I hope we never morph into arsenal at any level, they report "sold out" at the emirates, and "record" crowds, yet when you watch it it's usually less than half full in reality. I suspect many of their tickets are given away, not sold, and people apply for them, then can't be arsed turning up if its raining or cold.

It might just be City's readong of it.

I hope we never morph into arsenal at any level, they report "sold out" at the emirates, and "record" crowds, yet when you watch it it's usually less than half full in reality. I suspect many of their tickets are given away, not sold, and people apply for them, then can't be arsed turning up if its raining or cold.
It also would have been the first weekend of clashing with concerts.

Might be a business case in the future to expand the womens stadium - add another 10k by expanding the ends ? For Sundays game the Joie Stadium is too small and the Etihad too big.

Might be a business case in the future to expand the womens stadium - add another 10k by expanding the ends ? For Sundays game the Joie Stadium is too small and the Etihad too big.
Yeah I said something like this earlier, I hope the club are planning it in. In five years the current set up could be too small.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.