Women's Team Thread 2023/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might just be City's readong of it.

I hope we never morph into arsenal at any level, they report "sold out" at the emirates, and "record" crowds, yet when you watch it it's usually less than half full in reality. I suspect many of their tickets are given away, not sold, and people apply for them, then can't be arsed turning up if its raining or cold.

Arsenal get on my nerves in lots of ways and they are definitely using different reporting methods to overstate their attendances. Plus i find the way they brag about it extremely tiresome. But i have been to a couple of those games and whichever way you look at it, those crowds are unprecedented for women's football and they're also not dropping off.

We're getting half of what Bristol City are getting and we need that to improve. I expect the club are probably thinking about this though and they'll be more on it moving forward.

Might be a business case in the future to expand the womens stadium - add another 10k by expanding the ends ? For Sundays game the Joie Stadium is too small and the Etihad too big.

yeah this is a problem in the women's game that a lot of them are playing in stadiums that are too small but the leap in size to their men's counterpart is miles too big and kills the atmosphere. In an ideal world i'd like our women's team to be playing in something 15-20k and building up towards filling that in 5-10 years. In the short term we need to boost our attendances at the Joie though and getting 2-3 flagship fixtures in the etihad per season.

Winning this title will help considerably, doing well in the CL next season even more so.

Yep definitely. We have capitalise on any momemtum gained from this year. Top place finish would mean we can't be unceremoniously dumped out of the CL by real Madrid in the group stages too! Also our squad is in such a great place with all of our very top players locked into in relatively new contracts. Bunny, Yui, Khiara, Greenwood, Hemp, Roord, Park are all here for a while yet.

It's impossible to not give him credit. We've been on a phenomenal run this season and played some great football. That said, i do think there are a couple of slight caveats.

We have been very lucky with injuries compared to our rivals. Losing a player as talismanic as Roord was huge but aside from that we've been incredibly fortunate. I think question marks remain around Taylor's ability to change things up in-game when needed and the fact the team have stayed so injury free has meant he hasn't had to change his starting 11 too much.

I think we looked very blunted without Shaw against Bristol City and if that injury had happened earlier in the season and she'd missed more games, I'm not sure whether or not he would have been able to find an answer for that.

The way Jess Park has performed since filling in for Roord has been incredible. On the flipside though, you could ask why she was getting so few minutes before that. She got in the team because he was forced to play her. Credit it to him to have got her playing so well in a new position though.

There's no doubt he's turned things around this season, and having the support of Nielsen has clearly rejuvenated things behind the scenes. I'm still not convinced how he would cope with the need to be more dynamic and creative with his tactics/lineups, but i can only judge him on the hand he's been dealt this season and he's done really well.
I would give much more credit to Shaun Goater (tactics) and Nielsen (PR and personnel management) for improving the team. I won’t be surprised that Shaun was behind moving Kelly to the wing and Fowler to the center in the second half against Bristol City. This move changed the game completely. It was a dumb idea to start the other way around, and dumb ideas are typical of Taylor. But then, I am obviously no fan of Taylor. To me, he has repeatedly proven to be very poor: tactically and when it comes to players management. Even if he wins the league (and I do wish we win it), I firmly believe that Shaun Goater would have done a much better job if he was the head coach of this team.

Don't really follow the ladies game. But there has been a remarkable cut in the game's national coverage of late. Are MCFC ladies gonna win the league or something?

Don't really follow the ladies game. But there has been a remarkable cut in the game's national coverage of late. Are MCFC ladies gonna win the league or something?
The women’s game is gaining more and more coverage each year. The boom since winning the Euros has been massive. We have a strong chance at winning the league yeah but got a tough game at the weekend but if we win that, we’re in a very good position going into our final game.

I would give much more credit to Shaun Goater (tactics) and Nielsen (PR and personnel management) for improving the team. I won’t be surprised that Shaun was behind moving Kelly to the wing and Fowler to the center in the second half against Bristol City. This move changed the game completely. It was a dumb idea to start the other way around, and dumb ideas are typical of Taylor. But then, I am obviously no fan of Taylor. To me, he has repeatedly proven to be very poor: tactically and when it comes to players management. Even if he wins the league (and I do wish we win it), I firmly believe that Shaun Goater would have done a much better job if he was the head coach of this team.

Would love it if Steph Houghton could become a manager. Sounds like she gave the team a much needed talking to at half time against Bristol. I expect home life will have to take priority for her for a while after she's retired with her husband's situation, but I think the door will always be open to her at City if she wants to go down that path and I'm sure they'll do everything to accommodate her in what will be a very difficult time ahead for her and her husband.

Nit picking on a happy day day for City fans but I am 1/2 pisssd and this rubbed me the wrong way.

City Women announced a few players (5 maybe?) would not be coming back, on Instagram.

Ruby Mace is one player being released. Whomever runs the City Women's account could not even @ her correctly in saying goodbye. The account they referenced is some Indian bloke who likes motorcycles.

In my opinion, that is disrespectful. That woman goes out and trains every day with the "star players" and gives her all when she is called upon to play. The least they can do is get her information right. To me, it comes across as a big "Fuck you. We can't be bothered."

I may be the only one this is important to (other than maybe Ruby and her family) but it is low class.

Fin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.