World class players

bluemoon risin' said:
danburge82 said:
bluemoon risin' said:
How many have we at City that are genuine 'world class'?
I say four. Hart, Kompany, Silva, and Aguero.
There is no such thing as world class. There are no guidelines in which to base any considerations on. To one man world class could mean a player that would get in a world's best XI; to others it could be anyone who has good technique and plays well from time to time.
All of the players mentioned are internationals, all are at the top of their game, and most would get into the squad of the worlds best clubs.

Danburge, what and who do you consider world class to be?

I'm off to the game shortly, up the 'world class' blues! ;)
I think FIFA should set the guidelines of 'World Class' as the best players who would get into two sets of XI in a 4-4-2 formation.

This would stop people brandishing 'World Class' about like the throw away words they've become where any Tom Dick and Harry are given the tag.

The top two players in every position in the world.

It'd be a tough call to whether Joe Hart would get into one of the GK spots of my two available, but he'd be in with a chance.
Right back would be open to anyone as I don't think there is a single truly brilliant right back in world football at the moment. Would Pablo and Micah get in there? Well who else would? There aret any stand out right backs, you could argue there aren't any RBs worthy of being called world class.
Gael is as good as I've seen at left back for City but I think Lahm and Cole are the best two in the world.
Vincent would get in and would be captain of one of the sides.
Joleon is very good (very underrated at that) but I don't think he'd quite make it.
Gareth and Nigel are both underrated players but there are better than these two for defensive mid.
Yaya is right up there for me. I think ther are only three players in the world better than Yaya (Messi, CRonaldo and Iniesta). He's good as it gets in his role.
David and Samir are excellent players but are there are better players than them in their positions? Inieista easily. But anyone else? I'd like to ask a neutral to get a less biased view than mine.
Carlos and Sergio have possibilities of getting in. Again i'd like to ask a neutral who they would select though as I'd be a bit biased and choose both of them to fill two of the four positions up front. In with a shout easily though.
Mario scores world class goals. The rest of his game is no better than hundreds of other players. He's nowhere near.
Edin; no.
Anyone else in our squad? No.

afhald said:
Aguero
Silva
Tevez
Yaya

Hart is a good guy but he is not at same level with top class goalkeepers like Casillas and Buffon yet, but in a few years i hope so.
please tell me that "hart is a good guy" is just your personal opinion and not a mancini quote you may have read in the italian press cos whenever you hear him say one of our players "is a good guy" you know bobby`s got his mafia head on and the good guy has just had the kiss of death, mancini style and only a matter of time before he disappears out of the city team for good.i also think that hart is right up there with the best of em.

If you think about who would get in a world class squad of say 18 players then you'd have to think that on current form Kompany, Yaya, Aguero, Tevez and Silva would feature with players like Nasri, Clichy, De Jong and Hart worthy outsiders albeit through slightly blue tinted glasses. On top of that we have good solid players like Richards, Barry, Milner, Sinclair and Zabba making up a pretty amazing squad. We just need a bit more quality like a commanding footballing CB.

danburge82 said:
It'd be a tough call to whether Joe Hart would get into one of the GK spots of my two available, but he'd be in with a chance.
Right back would be open to anyone as I don't think there is a single truly brilliant right back in world football at the moment. Would Pablo and Micah get in there? Well who else would? There aret any stand out right backs, you could argue there aren't any RBs worthy of being called world class.
Gael is as good as I've seen at left back for City but I think Lahm and Cole are the best two in the world.
Vincent would get in and would be captain of one of the sides.
Joleon is very good (very underrated at that) but I don't think he'd quite make it.
Gareth and Nigel are both underrated players but there are better than these two for defensive mid.
Yaya is right up there for me. I think ther are only three players in the world better than Yaya (Messi, CRonaldo and Iniesta). He's good as it gets in his role.
David and Samir are excellent players but are there are better players than them in their positions? Inieista easily. But anyone else? I'd like to ask a neutral to get a less biased view than mine.
Carlos and Sergio have possibilities of getting in. Again i'd like to ask a neutral who they would select though as I'd be a bit biased and choose both of them to fill two of the four positions up front. In with a shout easily though.
Mario scores world class goals. The rest of his game is no better than hundreds of other players. He's nowhere near.
Edin; no.
Anyone else in our squad? No.

Hard to disagree with anything you've said there mate.

I'd add that it's an almost impossible task to compare many players who play in similar positions on the pitch to just have two teams as the way of categorising the WORLD CLASS-ness of players

ie - "BACK" MIDFIELD - would a player who consistently breaks up the oppositions attacking play and then plays it simply be classed as a world class player, or ,would the player who lies deep in a similar geographical position on the pitch who doesn't do a great deal of tackling but whose ball playing vision is exemplary be classed as world class? Both have their merits, both do their jobs better than the vast majority of others, but are they both world class? For me there are far too many systems & formations around, and that's not even starting with the slight subtleties of each teams implementations of these systems, to only have 22 places in two teams for players to be classed as being world class players.

Just my opinion like.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Vienna_70 said:
NdJ?

He played in a World Cup final.

Yeah, he's world class at what he does.

Hart
Silva
De Jong
Yaya
Tevez
Aguero
Kompany
Balotelli (don't forget Mario. The performances in the Euros was enough to get him in!)

Mario is a million miles from world class.Good in the euros but not world class and so far from it in everything else he has done apart from being a clown off the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.