World Cup 2018 | 24th June | England vs Panama Match Thread, KO 13:00 (BST)

Well they have a point, in that his general play isn’t the best. There was one point yesterday where he overhit a through ball for sterling that would have left him one on one. It wasn’t a difficult pass and Kane fucked it up.

The question what you want from your central striker is an interesting one. I think with Kane he doesn’t bring much else to the party but he scores goals. Has he missed a chance yet? And since goals are ultimately what the game is about, lots of people say ‘what more do you want’ with good reason. But likewise, if we are playing Spain or Brazil he isn’t going to be chasing and pressing and contributing like others in the team, even if you wouldn’t take him off with 20 minutes to go if you needed a goal.

Speaking for myself, he reminds me of Lineker. He didn’t contribute much in terms of general play, either, but he could score goals. One of the worst things Graham Taylor ever did was take Lineker off in his final match with about 30 minutes to go and England losing 2-1 against Sweden. He brought Alan Smith on in his place because ‘smith holds the ball up better’. Like I say, it’s about what you want your centre forward to do.

I'd say that you haven't watched him much, or carefully enough.

Kane's all round play is excellent. You highlighted the one big mistake he made all game. Apart from his goals, he played a number of good passes which, while not necessarily eye-catching, were nevertheless incisive (he rarely plays the kind of conservative pass that achieves nothing more than to keep possession). He also helped to create at least two good chances, one of which eventually led to Stones' second goal. It's probably also worth remembering that, because of his current reputation as one of the most dangerous strikers in world football, he is being very tightly marked - and that leaves more space for the other attackers to play.

For Spurs, he works tirelessly. If he isn't doing that for England, it will only be because Southgate has asked him to play differently. So to tag him as someone who doesn't do much other than score goals, like Lineker (who definitely didn't!), is very wide of the mark.

To be fair, he was pretty ineffectual yesterday (penalties aside). Same with Vardy and Sterling, which suggests this team isn't set up quite as well as it could be (despite the great result). These are all excellent players but I'm not convinced we're getting the best out of them in open play.

Eh? Sterling played well

Kane has a 100% shots to goals ratio which sounds impressive until you take away the two penalties and freak hat trick goal and realise that he has only had two intentional shots on target in two games against World Cup minnows. Compare this with Lukaku who has looked very dangerous for Belgium whilst scoring four goals from open play against the same opposition and the hype looks a bit out of control.

I feel that England will get found out once they come up against a good team in the knock stages that knows how to defend set-pieces.

Shearer
Owen
Fowler
Lineker
Andy cole
Jimmy greeves
Nat lofthouse
Geoff hurst
Just a few off top of my head better than him

Fowler and Cole..? For England... never in a million years are they better than Kane is now. And he's got years of his international career to go!

While I will give you Kane could add more, he sticks the ball in the net and that's a pretty good skill to have... I do think some people are getting carried away with the performances. There's been quite a few penalties and dead ball goals. Again, it's not a bad thing to have in your locker, but would be nice to score a few more from open play...

But compared to the last 20+ years, we actually look like a team for once. Even with players that most would agree are below the level of the likes of Shearer, scholes, gerrard, terry, lampard, beckham, Owen, Ferdinand, cole etc etc

I was sceptical, and still am, of Southgate from a tactical viewpoint- I didn't think he was the right man for the job.

However, having seen his reactions and passion on the touchline, plus the squad harmony and togetherness (which reminds me of City) I have changed my opinion that he is the right man for the job at this current moment for this England squad.

Id be shocked if we went on to win the thing but as previous posters have said they are giving the nation something to cheer about after years of no hope and I've found watching us enjoyable so far this tournament.

I'd say that you haven't watched him much, or carefully enough.

I'd say you are a Spurs fan.

I've watched him as many times as you have this world cup, and probably just as carefully. I just haven't watched him through Spurs-tinted glasses. Maybe he does work hard for Spurs, but Spurs aren't playing in this tournament, and Harry kane isn't playing for Spurs at the moment.

Maybe at City we just have higher standards ;)

I'd say you are a Spurs fan.

I've watched him as many times as you have this world cup, and probably just as carefully. I just haven't watched him through Spurs-tinted glasses. Maybe he does work hard for Spurs, but Spurs aren't playing in this tournament, and Harry kane isn't playing for Spurs at the moment.

Maybe at City we just have higher standards ;)

Indeed, I am a Spurs fan!

As I said, if Kane isn't working as tirelessly for England as he does for Spurs, then it will only be because Southgate has asked him to play in a different way. Still.........better than putting him on the wing, as Hodgson basically did at the last tournament!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.