World Cup 2018 | 24th June | England vs Panama Match Thread, KO 13:00 (BST)

Beware Columbia. Not necessarily going to qualify after having a man sent off 5 mins into the opening game, but they maybe on a collision course with Belgium or England and they are a quality side.

England's set pieces were very good against Panama, and Kane is a great finisher, but I think against a good side England will struggle to retain possession.

Southgate maybe smarter than he is given credit for. The wing backs he has deployed are going to be a 5 man defence screened by powerful midfielders like Henderson and Loftus Cheek. England may well be quite a difficult side to break down. The downside is that England carry little or no threat from open play and players like Sterling will be starved of quality possession. You can see that already even against Tunisia and Panama

Fowler and Cole..? For England... never in a million years are they better than Kane is now. And he's got years of his international career to go!

While I will give you Kane could add more, he sticks the ball in the net and that's a pretty good skill to have... I do think some people are getting carried away with the performances. There's been quite a few penalties and dead ball goals. Again, it's not a bad thing to have in your locker, but would be nice to score a few more from open play...

But compared to the last 20+ years, we actually look like a team for once. Even with players that most would agree are below the level of the likes of Shearer, scholes, gerrard, terry, lampard, beckham, Owen, Ferdinand, cole etc etc
Being sarcastic pal just don't like him don't know why maybe cos I hate spuds

Kane is doing what Kane does mate hes scoring goals. The Euros I understood critisicsm of him and his fellow team mates but just not now
There was very little football played against Panama. It was two pens, two set pieces, a deflection and a long distance goal. The possession football was none-existent.

There's no reason why England can't do well and surprise people, but I haven't seen any evidence yet that they are about to.

Kane does not have the creativity of some forward players but he's there to finish chances, and there aren't many better goal scorers in the game. I don't see how anyone can even question that given his record in the Premier League and in internationals. The question is do England have the team to support him.

Fowler and Cole..? For England... never in a million years are they better than Kane is now. And he's got years of his international career to go!

While I will give you Kane could add more, he sticks the ball in the net and that's a pretty good skill to have... I do think some people are getting carried away with the performances. There's been quite a few penalties and dead ball goals. Again, it's not a bad thing to have in your locker, but would be nice to score a few more from open play...

But compared to the last 20+ years, we actually look like a team for once. Even with players that most would agree are below the level of the likes of Shearer, scholes, gerrard, terry, lampard, beckham, Owen, Ferdinand, cole etc etc

I think he's done really well, he has scored every goal he should of and that's really all you can ask for.

Kane and the rest play against the best players in the world week in week out so they should be more than capable of doing well and they are getting it just right so far.

Indeed the difference has been the team rather than individual players but you could say the exact same for city this year.

Interesting to see the back a forward about Sterling. Answer me this, if he had put in those two performances and had been one of the Rags best players, how would you describe them?

I don’t think Shearer was having a go. He wanted him to score, but the pictures don’t lie. He missed an absolute sitter and luckily it didn’t matter as Stoves out it in. He also fluffed a chance against Tunisia, again saved for being offside.

I don’t think he is playing well. He gets singled out more because you need creativity and he is supposed to contribute to that. He isn’t doing it enough. If you don’t agree, watch both games again.

He gets a load of shit, but, on these two games he hasn’t shone. And as I said, if he was a Rag player I don’t think you would be defending him in his performances

He needs to step up, seems a bit scared to me. Hesitant. Running into dead ends too often. He is attracting attention if a couple of players every time on the ball. He needs to capitalise on this by releasing the ball quicker to exploit them crowding him. It hasn’t happened enough. The attention he gets comes with the territory of a top player, if people don’t like you they use it to have a go.

The simple answer is play better, not miss sitters and give them fuck all to say.

Against Belgium you need all your top players, if they don’t perform, young Kevin will tear you a new one.

Interesting to see the back a forward about Sterling. Answer me this, if he had put in those two performances and had been one of the Rags best players, how would you describe them?

I don’t think Shearer was having a go. He wanted him to score, but the pictures don’t lie. He missed an absolute sitter and luckily it didn’t matter as Stoves out it in. He also fluffed a chance against Tunisia, again saved for being offside.

I don’t think he is playing well. He gets singled out more because you need creativity and he is supposed to contribute to that. He isn’t doing it enough. If you don’t agree, watch both games again.

He gets a load of shit, but, on these two games he hasn’t shone. And as I said, if he was a Rag player I don’t think you would be defending him in his performances

He needs to step up, seems a bit scared to me. Hesitant. Running into dead ends too often. He is attracting attention if a couple of players every time on the ball. He needs to capitalise on this by releasing the ball quicker to exploit them crowding him. It hasn’t happened enough. The attention he gets comes with the territory of a top player, if people don’t like you they use it to have a go.

The simple answer is play better, not miss sitters and give them fuck all to say.

Against Belgium you need all your top players, if they don’t perform, young Kevin will tear you a new one.

The problem is that people are not criticising Sterling solely based on his performances, it’s because people don’t like him.

How the fuck Rashford has become the saviour of English football based on the season he’s had at United and a good 45 minutes against Costa Rica I’ll never know. In fact, I do know, it’s because no one wants Sterling to start so they big up and overhype a competitor for his position.

We won 6-1 yesterday and Sterling was involved in a couple of goals but people still aren’t happy with him. He’s even been criticised for missing an offside chance FFS.

But the key factor in Sterling’s performances is that he’s got a section of the nation wanting him to fail. He fails to beat a man and he gets slagged off, Rashford does it and it’s good forward thinking.

Missed sitter or great save?

Lukaku against City in the derby at their place, missed sitter or great save from Ederson?

Lingard was praised for his Tunisia performance, missed sitter or good movement to be there? I know how that performance and that chance in particular would've been received were it Sterling.

The best bit of football England produced against Panama had Sterling right at the heart of it.

The problem is that people are not criticising Sterling solely based on his performances, it’s because people don’t like him.

How the fuck Rashford has become the saviour of English football based on the season he’s had at United and a good 45 minutes against Costa Rica I’ll never know. In fact, I do know, it’s because no one wants Sterling to start so they big up and overhype a competitor for his position.

We won 6-1 yesterday and Sterling was involved in a couple of goals but people still aren’t happy with him. He’s even been criticised for missing an offside chance FFS.

But the key factor in Sterling’s performances is that he’s got a section of the nation wanting him to fail. He fails to beat a man and he gets slagged off, Rashford does it and it’s good forward thinking.

I hear what you are saying, I think Rashford is totally over rated. The situation though still remains, Sterling has to improve for him. He hasn’t played anywhere in the post code of well yet.

If he does he shuts everyone up and keeps his place. He needs to step up. And people mentioned his missed off side sitter, because he didn’t know it was and totally fucked it up.

He has always had a few sitters in his locker. As you start to play real teams he will be required if you are to have any chance. On his current performances he won’t provide the edge needed.

Again, if anybody disagrees, watch both games again and imagine he was a Utd player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.