World Cup 2018 | 3rd July | R16: Colombia vs England Match Thread, KO 19:00 (BST)

Collectively I agree, we weren't good enough but to say we didn't have world class players is absolute tripe. I hate half of them but prime Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Owen would have played for every team in the world. The likes of Neville (spit), Hargreaves and Carragher would have played for most. This is only the 'golden generation'.

At the end of the day we haven't won anything since 66 but there's no shame in that, there's better nations in world football. At the same time, England have been unlucky and could have gone further had we been better at penalties or if Campbell's header(s) weren't disallowed. One last thing, England's failures would be successes for Scotland.

Not much better? Give your head a wobble, we're miles in front. City drew at Palace last season, England aren't as good as City and Scotland aren't as good as Palace but the gap is just as big.

I don’t think any of the players mentioned were world class. Excellent players all, but to my mind, not world class. I’m not saying that to annoy people’s sensitivities, I honestly don’t think they were, unless, as I also said, WC has gone down a notch.

I agree that there is absolutely no shame in not having won the cup since 66. My point was the overall threat England have posed to challenge for it, apart from 70 and 90, where I thought you had two brilliant teams, and in 90 I thought you should have won it, as for me you were the best team.

Some are saying I’m noising people up and having a go at England, because I’m a scottish **** raging because my team are less than great. That’s not my style. I’m brutally honest with my own team and fall out with people who see things they want to see, rather than what’s actually the situation, all the fucking time.

Since I was a wee nipper I have always liked to see England do well. And believe it or not I still do. I just thought the reaction to the two first games wasn’t merited, due to the opposition and how they actually played. As was also pointed out Scitkand took the belt for mind numbing over confidence in 78 and, although just young, I was a fully paid up member of the insanity. Perhaps that’s why since, I tend to not let hope get ahead of reality.

That can make me seem like a right miserable bastard, but, I am not. I just hate papering over cracks and having faith.

In the Colombia game, I see a hard task. They were poor against Japan, but I wouldn’t expect that against you. My view is this will be a tough game. Momentum was lost dropping your better players, imo, which I think was a mistake.

Looking forward to the next round before doing the business in this one is a Scottish trait and one I would strongly advise against borrowing.

I feel England should go out and take every **** on. You’re England and other people should be scared of you. Tactically playing for a defeat to me would be a no no, for my own team. So, when England did it I reacted to it as I would had it been us.

After watching the games yesterday, it is clear that France and Uruguay are better teams so does it matter who you get as long as you go in and take them on, rather than hoping for an easier draw.

Getting to the semi having onky beat Sweden or The Swiss is hardly barnstorming.

I hope England play well against Colombia and depending how annoying the commentators get, I will be hoping they do it.

All that said, I still don’t agree with your def of world class. And probably never will.

Good luck on Tuesday.

I don’t think any of the players mentioned were world class. Excellent players all, but to my mind, not world class. I’m not saying that to annoy people’s sensitivities, I honestly don’t think they were, unless, as I also said, WC has gone down a notch.

I agree that there is absolutely no shame in not having won the cup since 66. My point was the overall threat England have posed to challenge for it, apart from 70 and 90, where I thought you had two brilliant teams, and in 90 I thought you should have won it, as for me you were the best team.

Some are saying I’m noising people up and having a go at England, because I’m a scottish **** raging because my team are less than great. That’s not my style. I’m brutally honest with my own team and fall out with people who see things they want to see, rather than what’s actually the situation, all the fucking time.

Since I was a wee nipper I have always liked to see England do well. And believe it or not I still do. I just thought the reaction to the two first games wasn’t merited, due to the opposition and how they actually played. As was also pointed out Scitkand took the belt for mind numbing over confidence in 78 and, although just young, I was a fully paid up member of the insanity. Perhaps that’s why since, I tend to not let hope get ahead of reality.

That can make me seem like a right miserable bastard, but, I am not. I just hate papering over cracks and having faith.

In the Colombia game, I see a hard task. They were poor against Japan, but I wouldn’t expect that against you. My view is this will be a tough game. Momentum was lost dropping your better players, imo, which I think was a mistake.

Looking forward to the next round before doing the business in this one is a Scottish trait and one I would strongly advise against borrowing.

I feel England should go out and take every **** on. You’re England and other people should be scared of you. Tactically playing for a defeat to me would be a no no, for my own team. So, when England did it I reacted to it as I would had it been us.

After watching the games yesterday, it is clear that France and Uruguay are better teams so does it matter who you get as long as you go in and take them on, rather than hoping for an easier draw.

Getting to the semi having onky beat Sweden or The Swiss is hardly barnstorming.

I hope England play well against Colombia and depending how annoying the commentators get, I will be hoping they do it.

All that said, I still don’t agree with your def of world class. And probably never will.

Good luck on Tuesday.
Pundits annoy me, talking players up as world class after basically playing as someone of their level should do. FFS every pro should be able to use both feet.

Down to 10 men because they got sliced open by Japan and had to cheat to stop them scoring.

If we're going off their last games did you see Japans debacle against Russia. They literally couldn't get out of their own half in the last 20 min's, and that's without any opposition players in it. And for the last 5 they all stood still. Personally i'd strip them of the 'fair play' pass they got as the blatant cheating was far less 'fair play' than all the cards Columbia picked up. Anyway that's a bit of an aside.
I still think Columbia are twice the team Japan are and Japans 'style' would've suited the Prem players better (closing down, harassing, tireless).
What isn't in doubt is Southgate has taken a gamble. In my eyes he's chosen the wrong card in the hope of easier opponents further down the line.
Also, got a tenner on Columbia to win the lot....

If we're going off their last games did you see Japans debacle against Russia. They literally couldn't get out of their own half in the last 20 min's, and that's without any opposition players in it. And for the last 5 they all stood still. Personally i'd strip them of the 'fair play' pass they got as the blatant cheating was far less 'fair play' than all the cards Columbia picked up. Anyway that's a bit of an aside.
I still think Columbia are twice the team Japan are and Japans 'style' would've suited the Prem players better (closing down, harassing, tireless).
What isn't in doubt is Southgate has taken a gamble. In my eyes he's chosen the wrong card in the hope of easier opponents further down the line.
England would have coasted past Japan. That said we'd have been beaten by Brazil in the next round.
England have an easier possible route to the semis this way at least

Which fucking clown thought Columbia will be easier to beat than Japan?

No one. But both are beatable. Won against Japan and we face Brazil. Win against Columbia and we face Switzerland or Sweden.
I know what option I would prefer.

Cheating? They did nothing wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.