Worst away days

Oldham away sometime in the 80’s, glorious sunshine when we went in, pissed it down second half. Just remember a couple of pissed up lads singing the Mickey Mouse song all the way through

Ah, the joys of uncovered terraces. I was still pissed wet through when I got home.

One of the funniest examples of gallows humour I witnessed was a 4-1 thumping at Grimsby in 1984 if memory serves, where a City fan gestured 'handcuff me' to the local police.
Wow I almost forgot about that one. We set off very early that day for some reason & spent the morning on Cleethorpes beach (beer and donkey rides etc).

Apart from bumping into Eddie Large outside the ground, the match experience was the usual shambles.

The highlight of day however was when our train home got attacked at a level crossing. Bricks were flying everywhere and most of the windows in our carriage got smashed.

A fairly typical 80s away day.

One of the funniest examples of gallows humour I witnessed was a 4-1 thumping at Grimsby in 1984 if memory serves, where a City fan gestured 'handcuff me' to the local police.
That was the wedding party game wasn't it?

The list is endless but as others have said Halifax,Boro in the cups and the 8-1.Derby 6 nil.Brighton 4-1.
Rags 5 nil.Dippers under Ball.
Had some grim days at Charlton 5 and 4 nils.The one that stands out is the Palace drubbing in the league cup 1/4 final that was the day i thought we would never ever win anything again.Thats why we need to gain perspective as what we are witnessing now will end but makes up for the years of dross.

Wasn't that the match that Steve Lomas nearly died as well?

Oldham away sometime in the 80’s, glorious sunshine when we went in, pissed it down second half. Just remember a couple of pissed up lads singing the Mickey Mouse song all the way through
Same, that open end was horrible when it rains. Travelled up from London, with just a T shirt and jeans on. Got soaked and had to travel back on the train completely damp. Think it was 0-0 which was kind of fitting.
Sheff Weds away without a ticket, couldn't get one and had to go home 5 mins after kick off.Never did get to visit Hillsborough again.

Blackburn 4 - 0 City. 1989

Moulden benched. One footed (left) Taggart playing right back trying to play it with the outside of his left foot down the line. Kept finding the stands. Simon Garner hat-trick. Then news of Hillsborough coming through afterwards. Miserable day.

Blackburn 4 - 0 City. 1989

Moulden benched. One footed (left) Taggart playing right back trying to play it with the outside of his left foot down the line. Kept finding the stands. Simon Garner hat-trick. Then news of Hillsborough coming through afterwards. Miserable day.
Wow what a terrible day that was.

My worst was the League Cup Final of 1974. It was bad enogh losing with their rookie Keeper having a blinder, but on the way home all fans from City and Wolves travelling northwards jammed the motorway and I ground to a halt in the middle lane.

In my rear view mirror I could see a car coming behind and it became apparent that he wasn't going to stop. I couldn't change lanes so I waited for the inevitable, then.....BANG

It was an old chap. He might have fakllen asleep at the wheel, I don't know. So there we stood exchanging names and addresses and insurance companies (fortunately he was insured) while the traffic started off again on the inside and outside lane on either side of us. I was able to drive my car but the rear end was a bit of a mess (not mine, I hasten to add). What a wretched day.

Doncaster in the league cup at belle vue still pisses me off.....
tell me about it, as im from doncaster, went to game and said to mates who was rovers fans i meet them after game at the lonsdale pub, fucked that off turned my phone off and when put it back on i had 20 voice messages and loads of text, only chesterfield away in league cup, was as bad as my ceo at work came in early and after we was told what we was doing he got me up infront of 30 people and asked how did city get on as he was from chesterfield

tell me about it, as im from doncaster, went to game and said to mates who was rovers fans i meet them after game at the lonsdale pub, fucked that off turned my phone off and when put it back on i had 20 voice messages and loads of text, only chesterfield away in league cup, was as bad as my ceo at work came in early and after we was told what we was doing he got me up infront of 30 people and asked how did city get on as he was from chesterfield
Yeah was a really shit night, that and Shrewsbury always stick out when I think of shit away days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.