Worst refereeing decisions involving City?

I always thought Kompany's red card against United was fair game. He left the ground with both feet off the floor and was therefore in a position to be seen as out of control. When Vincent won the ball I thought "Yeah, solid challenge", but the split second I heard the whistle go I knew exactly what card was coming out.

Looking back, I think it was a solid challenge which, on a different day, would have gone our way. He won the ball and Nani was unhurt. But it was always 50/50 with me and I can see why Foy sent him off: it was a high-tempo game with lots of tackles flying in and Foy probably saved someone's career by sending Vinnie off. If Foy had let that challenge pass you know Rooney would have been kicking seven bells out of Silva, Aguero and everyone else until he'd finally receive some kind of consolation prize booking in added time for a trip on someone.

Besides, the anger we all felt after losing that game drove us on to win the title so we can't complain too much.

EalingBlue2 said:
Ali Benarbia said:
Should be plenty of scope for long and bitter memories here. One among many is the penalty given to the rags at the Stretford End after Rosler's chip over Schmeichel had put City in front in the F.A. Cup match.

For me no decision has angered me more in 35+ years following city - Alan Wilkie is a word of hate and frontzeck will forever be associated with being the victim of a footballing outrage!
the real reason Wilkie gave that penalty was because he was the official who sent cantona off at selhurst park when he did his Kung foo kick, it was a gift, also it was his first united game he officiated since that night, probably the most gutless pacification of ferguson in his reign of of dominance over our gutless officials ? He is one of the list of officials who have cheated city over a very long period of time, but the one that hurt me most was the Atkinson added on added on time derby, a total coward who scared to face ferguson if that had not have happened.

Big Swifty said:
I have to agree that the Sun Jihai penalty was the most outrageous perhaps. Jihai was taking the ball out of his own area when the opponent rushed up and barged into him - penalty. Some decisions were rotten, but this one defies belief - I can only think the ref was corrupt or a mentally ill cretin. Totally inexplicable.

I remember watching the Tiatto one on TV. A brilliant run, a cracking left-foot shot from distance, and the linesman puts his flag up, as another City player who was way out on the right wing was in a marginally offside position, not remotely interfering with play or in the keeper's eye-line.

I was at Derby's old Baseball ground in the 70's when we played there, on a right mudheap, filthy pitch as always. In an eerie precursor to the Sun Jihai incident, Archie Gemmill threw himself at a City defender and fell down. Penalty! Unbelievable! City had dominated the first half, Dave Watson had hit the |Derby bar with a thunderous header, but that changed everything. Wasn't that the game where Joe Corrigan got booked for sarcastically pacing out the 12 yards to mark the spot, since the spot marking had long since been churned up in the thick mud?

Anyone remember this incident? Can't recall who the nutter of a ref was....

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFwl11WUAg[/video]

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Big Swifty said:
I have to agree that the Sun Jihai penalty was the most outrageous perhaps. Jihai was taking the ball out of his own area when the opponent rushed up and barged into him - penalty. Some decisions were rotten, but this one defies belief - I can only think the ref was corrupt or a mentally ill cretin. Totally inexplicable.

I remember watching the Tiatto one on TV. A brilliant run, a cracking left-foot shot from distance, and the linesman puts his flag up, as another City player who was way out on the right wing was in a marginally offside position, not remotely interfering with play or in the keeper's eye-line.

I was at Derby's old Baseball ground in the 70's when we played there, on a right mudheap, filthy pitch as always. In an eerie precursor to the Sun Jihai incident, Archie Gemmill threw himself at a City defender and fell down. Penalty! Unbelievable! City had dominated the first half, Dave Watson had hit the |Derby bar with a thunderous header, but that changed everything. Wasn't that the game where Joe Corrigan got booked for sarcastically pacing out the 12 yards to mark the spot, since the spot marking had long since been churned up in the thick mud?

Anyone remember this incident? Can't recall who the nutter of a ref was....

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFwl11WUAg[/video]

I was there that day. What the clip doesn't show, and contrary to what the commentator says, is that the penalty taker was originally trying to take the penalty just outside where the six-yard box should have been and Joe was absolutely right.

Now I think about it, wasn't it at Derby where Dennis Tueart scored a bullet header from a corner and the referee disallowed it claiming that between Tueart heading it and it hitting the back of the net, he'd blown for half time ? Later, despite replays on Match of the day, no-one could hear a whistle. Still annoys me.

2 decisions have stuck with me,

The first being pascal chimbondas goal against us at white hart lane. At the time spurs were still a bogey team for us and we were 1-0 up having played pretty well. Then late in the first half berbatov dives to win a freeekick on the edge of the area (never a free kick), then from the freekick , its initially cleared, the ball then is put back in and chimboda scores even though he was a yard offside. Even worse he put the ball In with his hand. We then lost 2-1 with zab getting sent off later on.

The other being the 'jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' goal. When you think about the fuss made about the sterling non goal against us. Ji was miles offside, and no one on sky or in the papers cared. That could have cost us the title and nearly did.

mancunial said:
EalingBlue2 said:
Ali Benarbia said:
Should be plenty of scope for long and bitter memories here. One among many is the penalty given to the rags at the Stretford End after Rosler's chip over Schmeichel had put City in front in the F.A. Cup match.

For me no decision has angered me more in 35+ years following city - Alan Wilkie is a word of hate and frontzeck will forever be associated with being the victim of a footballing outrage!
the real reason Wilkie gave that penalty was because he was the official who sent cantona off at selhurst park when he did his Kung foo kick, it was a gift, also it was his first united game he officiated since that night, probably the most gutless pacification of ferguson in his reign of of dominance over our gutless officials ? He is one of the list of officials who have cheated city over a very long period of time, but the one that hurt me most was the Atkinson added on added on time derby, a total coward who scared to face ferguson if that had not have happened.

This.

I also remember George Courtney awarding Liverpool an unfeasible (or at least it seemed that way at the time - there was definitely one game at Maine Road when he gave them 2 or maybe even 3 penalties against us) number of penalties against us in the early 80's.

Of referees to have outraged me continuously down the years, the names Halsey and Dowd loom large (I remember Halsey doing us at Spurs 2 or 3 years running, and he did his best again at Fulham last year), but none could ever match that utter barsteward Peter Walton. And we got him for the dippers and Everton time and time again.

Also there was an away game at Norwich (circa 2000) when we battered them, had 2 goals laughably disallowed, and got robbed blind over every decision and somehow ended up losing 1-0. I remember Andy Morrison going mad at the linesman, who was absolutely diabolical. Went home livid that night. One of many

crazyg said:
cibaman said:
Any oldies remember that goal ruled out for offside at Huddersfield in the early 70's? Caused a mini riot.
Which one?

Trevor Cherry played the ball back to his keeper, but overhit it. The keeper pushed it on to the bar and it rebounded out. Bell, who had been in his own half when Cherry played it, followed up and hit it in from the edge of the box. Given offside. That one?

Wyn Davies crossed the ball from the left wing. Summerbee headed it in between two defenders on the line, one of whom tried to push it over with his hand. Given offside. Or this one?

The referee was Norman Birkenshaw, Who hated City (or more accurately, Malcolm Allison) with a passion, and admitted that in his autobiography. He was also responsible for some appalling decisions against us - the list for him is endless. A latter-day Peter Walton.

It was the first one that stuck in my mind. Perhaps because that was when the bricks started flying. But I can still remember the expression on Bell's face when it was ruled out. Not so much anger as total disbelief.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.