Would you send your kid to private school?

Primary school no; secondary school yes.

That said, a good comprehensive is as good as a decent independent school. The differentials in the state sector are stark; this makes the choice for many parents a necessity (in their eyes) rather than a luxury, especially if you are victim to the postcode lottery.

I would say, however, that a decent proportion of privately educated people are utter dicks. I was privately educated myself and have a number of friends who were, some of who I retain from my schooldays, but there is a certain 'type' who is boorish, loud and totally lacking in self-awareness. I find them to be appalling people. They are the unacceptable face of private education, to me at least.

As a footnote Rasc is most certainly not inimical to 'posh' people, even if he has a somewhat idealistic view of how the world should (or rather, could) operate.

gordondaviesmoustache said:

That said, a good comprehensive is as good as a decent independent school. The differentials in the state sector are stark; this makes the choice for many parents a necessity (in their eyes) rather than a luxury, especially if you are victim to the postcode lottery.

I would say, however, that a decent proportion of privately educated people are utter dicks. I was privately educated myself and have a number of friends who were, some of who I retain from my schooldays, but there is a certain 'type' who is boorish, loud and totally lacking in self-awareness. I find them to be appalling people. They are the unacceptable face of private education, to me at least.

As a footnote Rasc is most certainly not inimical to 'posh' people, even if he has a somewhat idealistic view of how the world should (or rather, could) operate.

They tend to live in Wilmslow and wear Ralph Lauren polo shirts

I went to Burnage Grammar in the 60s.

Fuckin' awful school.
Staffed by sadists and paedophiles. Foxley was famous for it but the cops could never pin it on him. Disgusting creep of a man. Used to take you down into the gym changing rooms on your own. Make you strip and change into shorts while he watched then beat the fuck out of you with a slipper. He was also forever taking photos of boys in the showers. Dead now ,happily, so no need to delete the post.

Rascal said:
SWP's back said:
Rascal said:
No. Never. Not even if somebody else offered to pay.

I would close them all down tomorrow. They are an anachronistic throwback to days of Empire, designed to perpuate the elite and maintain privilige.

If they do remain, i would make anyone educated at such a place automatically barred from Parliament, the judiciary and any other public office.
Yep. Labour fucked up monumentally getting rid of most grammar schools didn't they.

I know you have permanent sunstroke nowadays but i would have thought even you would know Thatcher closed down far more Grammar schools than Labour ever did.

Qatari dinar is addling your cranium my old pal ;)
Riyal mate. Dinar is Kuwait.

hilts said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:

They tend to live in Wilmslow and wear Ralph Lauren polo shirts
Not if they go to Dulwich College.

One of the schools where I went to was Greenfield Secondary modern in Hyde..(Now demolished ..where Asda is now)....

Good school, I actually enjoyed it there, except for three sadistic teachers who would be locked up for years nowadays......(6 strokes of the cane, three on each hand producing massive weales on your hands and drawing blood) simply for forgetting your homework.

Happy days.........

Went to a private primary school in Chorlton,don't know if it did me any good...
Regularly outside the heads office, 6 of the best at least twice a week. Dodged a few and been hit by the ubiquitous chalk rubber, dragged round by the hair on my temples, forced to stand tip toes with my nose in a chalk circle on the black board and often slapped with an architects ruler. Character building if nothing else. Kids of today .....etc etc etc

Tuearts right boot said:
Went to a private primary school in Chorlton,don't know if it did me any good...
Regularly outside the heads office, 6 of the best at least twice a week. Dodged a few and been hit by the ubiquitous chalk rubber, dragged round by the hair on my temples, forced to stand tip toes with my nose in a chalk circle on the black board and often slapped with an architects ruler. Character building if nothing else. Kids of today .....etc etc etc

Was that the one on Ellesmere Road?

Rascal said:
Paulpowersleftfoot said:
Rascal said:
No. Never. Not even if somebody else offered to pay.

I would close them all down tomorrow. They are an anachronistic throwback to days of Empire, designed to perpuate the elite and maintain privilige.

If they do remain, i would make anyone educated at such a place automatically barred from Parliament, the judiciary and any other public office.

The bitterness is tangible

Im not bitter at all.

In my world nobody would have to pay to send kids to a private school as all schools would be superb. The most intelligent would get the best education and chance to expand there horizons and the least intelligent would get the best education and the chance to expand there horizons regardless of social standing or wealth. Argue against that if you can?

Lovely idea that all state schools were superb but the fact is that they are not.

Our local state primary school was failing my twin daughters so we felt that we had to take them out and put them in a private prep school: we did not believe that the local options for secondary eductation in the state offered the standard of education that our daughters needed and wanted to make sure that they could get into a suitable private secondary school. The difference was massive and now they are in year 9 at one of the top 20 (maybe 10) girls' schools in the country.

Fucks me off hugely that I have to spend all that money on education on top of the tax that I pay but nothing is more important to my wife and I than our children and we deem the sacrifices involved in getting them the best possible education worth it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.