Would you send your kid to private school?

My two went to one of the worst performing high schools in the area thanks to their mother being a thick ****. However, with enough encouragement, incentives and support they both made it out of there relatively unscathed. Thankfully the daft woman realised how fucking stupid she'd been and allowed me to get them into one of the best sixth form colleges in the north west. Eldest is now reading Law at Nottingham and number 2 just had an interview to study maths at Trinity college Cambridge. It didn't go so well so we will be surprised if she gets an offer but frankly just getting an interview was fucking amazing in my view and wherever she goes she will do well because like her elder sister she understands the opportunities that her education will bring. If I've managed nothing else, I've at least managed to instil that in them.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Primary school no; secondary school yes.

That said, a good comprehensive is as good as a decent independent school. The differentials in the state sector are stark; this makes the choice for many parents a necessity (in their eyes) rather than a luxury, especially if you are victim to the postcode lottery.

I would say, however, that a decent proportion of privately educated people are utter dicks. I was privately educated myself and have a number of friends who were, some of who I retain from my schooldays, but there is a certain 'type' who is boorish, loud and totally lacking in self-awareness. I find them to be appalling people. They are the unacceptable face of private education, to me at least.

As a footnote Rasc is most certainly not inimical to 'posh' people, even if he has a somewhat idealistic view of how the world should (or rather, could) operate.

Don't agree about primary schools -see my post above - but you can often get away with waiting.

TBH, although I enjoyed my junior school, there would have been two distinct advantages if my parents had sent me to Kings Macc Junior School: they would not have had to pay fees to send me to the Grammar school and I would have been better prepared for senior school. Plenty of boys who,went to the junior school did better than me in the first year despite being less intelligent than I was. I did catch them up though.

Innsbruckblue said:
Tuearts right boot said:
Went to a private primary school in Chorlton,don't know if it did me any good...
Regularly outside the heads office, 6 of the best at least twice a week. Dodged a few and been hit by the ubiquitous chalk rubber, dragged round by the hair on my temples, forced to stand tip toes with my nose in a chalk circle on the black board and often slapped with an architects ruler. Character building if nothing else. Kids of today .....etc etc etc

Was that the one on Ellesmere Road?

Think it might be, it's going back a few years, on the corner of Wilbraham rd, think it's a vets or private offices now.

If I had the money for a private school I'd use it to buy a house next to the best state school instead. And you'd actually make money off it too.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
As a footnote Rasc is most certainly not inimical to 'posh' people, even if he has a somewhat idealistic view of how the world should (or rather, could) operate.

Thanks for the kind words my public school attending pal.

Hilts would be probably be shocked that i actually think Eton educated Jacob Rees Mogg is an excellent MP who i admire a great deal whilst i think his fellow "working class" tory MP Eric Pickles is a complete fucking tosspot

I'm With Stupid said:
If I had the money for a private school I'd use it to buy a house next to the best state school instead. And you'd actually make money off it too.

I did that, and my house has risen in value by more than most.

Trouble is you get used to living in a nice area so you can't cash in.

Both my kids have been through private school and have benefitted enormously from it. As someone mentioned earlier, you get more motivated parents who want to take an active part in their kids' education so fundraising activities are much better supported, but there are plenty more reasons:

• You get a mix of races and cultures that mirrors the area where the school is located, something the state sector doesn't manage anywhere near as successfully.
    Not having to follow the National Curriculum means that private schools can concentrate on teaching kids the things that actually matter, rather than the cack that some committee in the House of Commons dreamt up.
    There is more of a culture among the teachers to actually teach: much less of the largely discredited 'child centred learning' that is still favoured in state schools who hang on to the outdated notion that kids will go and learn if you just allow them to.
    The teachers are much more likely to fully involve themselves in their schools so there are more extra curricular activities.
    The kids are expected to have manners and to behave well toward one another and this is taught and insisted upon.
    There is a culture of expectation. Kids are expected to behave and to succeed and they know that they are. Excuses for poor behaviour or performance are much less tolerated.
    Generally, although paid a lot worse than their state counterparts, private school teachers are better qualified in their subject area, with a higher proportion of teachers holding masters degrees and doctorates.

Rascal said:
No. Never. Not even if somebody else offered to pay.

I would close them all down tomorrow. They are an anachronistic throwback to days of Empire, designed to perpuate the elite and maintain privilige.

If they do remain, i would make anyone educated at such a place automatically barred from Parliament, the judiciary and any other public office.

Out of interest, what would you do about parents of state educated children who pay for extra private tuition outside school?

My 3 year old has gone to a private nursery that leads onto a private school next year since he was 18 months old. The missis and I are skint because of it, we also moved closer to the school, again doubling our rent. We haven't had a big holiday in 2 years and don't really spoil ourselves with many nights out etc but we think education is the most important thing we could offer our son. Of course it's pretentious and the other parents drive Bentleys etc but my missis and I both have normal working class upbringings. This I think leads him to be grounded somewhat by us. He at the moment is streets ahead of any 3/4 year old I know and is mistaken for a 5 year old due to his vocabulary and ability to write already! Money well spent in my opinion!

Chancy Termites said:
Both my kids have been through private school and have benefitted enormously from it. As someone mentioned earlier, you get more motivated parents who want to take an active part in their kids' education so fundraising activities are much better supported, but there are plenty more reasons:

• You get a mix of races and cultures that mirrors the area where the school is located, something the state sector doesn't manage anywhere near as successfully.
    Not having to follow the National Curriculum means that private schools can concentrate on teaching kids the things that actually matter, rather than the cack that some committee in the House of Commons dreamt up.
    There is more of a culture among the teachers to actually teach: much less of the largely discredited 'child centred learning' that is still favoured in state schools who hang on to the outdated notion that kids will go and learn if you just allow them to.
    The teachers are much more likely to fully involve themselves in their schools so there are more extra curricular activities.
    The kids are expected to have manners and to behave well toward one another and this is taught and insisted upon.
    There is a culture of expectation. Kids are expected to behave and to succeed and they know that they are. Excuses for poor behaviour or performance are much less tolerated.
    Generally, although paid a lot worse than their state counterparts, private school teachers are better qualified in their subject area, with a higher proportion of teachers holding masters degrees and doctorates.

bullshit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.