Yaya Toure

Whatever happens with Yaya I will remember him as the most influential player I've seen at the club in 50 years. Colin Bell will, of course, always be my hero/favourite player, that's a generational thing, but in terms of having the ability to single handedly turn a game Yaya is the stand out player. His goals have been crucial to everything the owners wanted in terms of our progression and, for his team-mates to play alongside him, knowing that if we we're in the shit the chances were that Yaya would dig us out must have been amazing. 20 goals in a season from central midfield tells you just how good Yaya was and, whilst he doesn't fit into Peps system imo, that shouldn't detract from what he's brought to the club.

Last edited:
How anyone can argue that he isn't past it is laughable

Yes he was a very good player 3 years ago, but currently no where near good enough. Would rather play Garcia

Absolutely. I'd imagine he won't be anywhere near the bench on sunday. That's how far he has fallen. Would be a shame to have him rot in the stands for a year. Hope he leaves.
Can't say Delph or Fernando look much better either. And they still have their legs. 1-2 midfielders that suit his system is probably be gonna be a priority for Pep in the next transfer windows.

Whatever happens with Yaya I will remember him as the most influential player I've seen at the club in 50 years. Colin Bell will, of course, always be my hero/favourite player, that's a generational thing, but in terms of having the ability to single handedly turn a game Yaya is the stand out player. His goals have been crucial to everything the owners wanted in terms of our progression and, for his team-mates to play alongside him, knowing that if we Wee in the shit the chances were that Yaya would dig us out must have been amazing. 20 goals in a season from central midfield tells you just how good Yaya was and, whilst he doesn't fit into Peps system imo, that shouldn't detract from what he's brought to the club.
I could not have put my feelings towards Yaya any better, but it was plain to see last night he will not be a major player in Peps plans for this year, Yayas best years are now behind him sadly.

The main intention of pressing is to regain possession as quickly as possible to allow us to start another attack, not to merely stop the opponents. If we were content with just getting men behind the ball and not conceding we would have gone for Mourinho, not Guardiola.

The problem Yaya has got is that he no longer suits either style of football now his legs have completely gone and that's why he hasn't got any options other than Inter Milan who weren't prepared to pay a fee or China.

I understand the pressing game completely.

What I mean is, we did that. So the pressing worked to some extent, with him in the team, whether people think he can do it or not. We had more ball than we did v Stoke for example.

That's with Delph & Fernando as his partners, who help cover Yaya when it comes to getting the ball back but definitely don't help him with keeping it or creating anything.

If Yaya could ever possibly do do any kind of job for City, it's is only by feeding the best players & reacting to them, not in that kind of team. There was never much likelihood of him doing anything in that lineup, & I'm wondering if anyone would genuinely expect it, even before the kickoff. He was on the same level as the rest imo. No better no worse. They had more legs, he had more football.

I understand the pressing game completely.

What I mean is, we did that. So the pressing worked to some extent, with him in the team, whether people think he can do it or not. We had more ball than we did v Stoke for example.

Yes but don't overlook the opponents and the situation of the game. It's no surprise that "we did that" and the "pressing worked to some extent" against a team who were 5-0 down and hadn't got a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything from the game. If you stick Yaya in against Real or United or Chelsea or even Southampton and ask him to play Pep's pressing game against high quality players, he'll be shown up for the plodding, past-it player he has become. I have respect for Yaya's achievements and frankly he almost singlehandedly won us a couple of trophies in his stint at the club, but it is most certainly time to move on now.

Whatever happens with Yaya I will remember him as the most influential player I've seen at the club in 50 years. Colin Bell will, of course, always be my hero/favourite player, that's a generational thing, but in terms of having the ability to single handedly turn a game Yaya is the stand out player. His goals have been crucial to everything the owners wanted in terms of our progression and, for his team-mates to play alongside him, knowing that if we Wee in the shit the chances were that Yaya would dig us out must have been amazing. 20 goals in a season from central midfield tells you just how good Yaya was and, whilst he doesn't fit into Peps system imo, that shouldn't detract from what he's brought to the club.

All of this.

Great post

Absolutely. I'd imagine he won't be anywhere near the bench on sunday. That's how far he has fallen. Would be a shame to have him rot in the stands for a year. Hope he leaves.
Can't say Delph or Fernando look much better either. And they still have their legs. 1-2 midfielders that suit his system is probably be gonna be a priority for Pep in the next transfer windows.

It seemed that Pep was trying to start with the same shape and formation yesterday that we have had in the earlier games. So Yaya was mainly playing in the spaces that De Bruyne has been occupying. As an understudy for De Bruyne, Yaya is a square peg in round hole.

Despite all that has happened with the cake, his agent, and his legs going he will remain one of the most devastating midfielders I've ever laid eyes on.

He played like we all daydreamed we would as kids. Able to dance around opponents, then burst forward with unparalleled power throwing anyone who dared stop us off followed with an insane finish.

He had such an unusual combination of skills, I simply can't think of a player like him. I'm happy we got the only one.

Yes but don't overlook the opponents and the situation of the game. It's no surprise that "we did that" and the "pressing worked to some extent" against a team who were 5-0 down and hadn't got a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything from the game. If you stick Yaya in against Real or United or Chelsea or even Southampton and ask him to play Pep's pressing game against high quality players, he'll be shown up for the plodding, past-it player he has become. I have respect for Yaya's achievements and frankly he almost singlehandedly won us a couple of trophies in his stint at the club, but it is most certainly time to move on now.

Or he might be the bloke who opens them up with the pass or shot which wins the game, if he has the quality alongside him to work with. Yaya is more of a danger to the opposition, around their penalty area, than Silva.

But if Yaya's main purpose at City, is seen as a general midfielder legging it around recovering he ball, then we all know he's fucked as a City player. He was fucked in that respect at 27.

Of course you could play him where Kroos plays, in that role, something a percentage on here were wanking themseves stupid Kroos might sign to do, that we needed such a player in the team. We could play Yaya there, picking up loose balls & knocking passes around, under no pressure whatsoever, barely breaking into a jog, like Kroos does, if we require that option.

The other possible role for Yaya, is coming on as an alternative later in games, when Silva or KDB are fucked or if Pep plays a different formation, which he has often done in his career, Yaya as an extra mid.

Yaya did plenty of running last night. That's actually a fact.

If we don't want a player who does the stuff Yaya can do, then fine. But for the kind of player he is, he covered easily enough ground last night & if Pep wanted to, he could make a team work, with Yaya in it. If he doesn't value what Yaya does, & is only concerned with what he can't do, then he'll ditch him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.