Yaya

Blueband Brother said:
NipHolmes said:
Blueband Brother said:
I disagree with your disagreement but agree that we can both agree to disagree in terms of yaya. He is one of the best players in the world (top 5) but the ability to show this is hampered by his almost pathogenic indolence and apparent disinterest. Sometimes it dawns on me that the reality and glaring truth that is been continuously dismissed in the subconscious of most but still keeps fighting for respect is this: Yaya toure is not a midfielder, he is a supporting striker. This is obviously up for debate and I still see him as a midfielder.

He is obviously talented enough to play midfield and even defense but he does not tackle, cannot track back and is a risk without strong midfield cover. Perhaps this is the only solution to the Yaya conundrum, play him upfront behind a striker with two attacking midfielders on either side then get solid unit of midfielders that can be at the center: Milner, Rodwell, and maybe bring in another top class player like, i dont know, people say Ferdinandinho but Im not sure.

Ill be glad if we go back for De Rossi.

Xavi, Iniesta, Vidal, Schweinsteiger and Fabregas are all better. Yaya needs two players behind him to function best, Fernandinho may be the missing component to utilise him best but sound competition for starting place wouldn't go amiss. Said this at start of season to be honest.

Iniesta is maybe better but Yaya is definitely better than the others you mentioned. In fact those players cannot stand with him. The other players are certainly more hard working though.

Vidal and Schweinsteiger are both better and far more consistent. Yaya on his day is up there with the best but those days are few and far between.

kun said:
Blueband Brother said:
NipHolmes said:
Xavi, Iniesta, Vidal, Schweinsteiger and Fabregas are all better. Yaya needs two players behind him to function best, Fernandinho may be the missing component to utilise him best but sound competition for starting place wouldn't go amiss. Said this at start of season to be honest.

Iniesta is maybe better but Yaya is definitely better than the others you mentioned. In fact those players cannot stand with him. The other players are certainly more hard working though.
Woah woah woah, steady there. He may be better than two of them, but not Xavi or Schweinsteiger

There's a reason Barca sold him and Vidal is Juventus best player and Fabregas is an exceptional talent, just plays for a club with the best cm's I've seen in my lifetime.

Bazzmand Show said:
NipHolmes said:
Blueband Brother said:
I disagree with your disagreement but agree that we can both agree to disagree in terms of yaya. He is one of the best players in the world (top 5) but the ability to show this is hampered by his almost pathogenic indolence and apparent disinterest. Sometimes it dawns on me that the reality and glaring truth that is been continuously dismissed in the subconscious of most but still keeps fighting for respect is this: Yaya toure is not a midfielder, he is a supporting striker. This is obviously up for debate and I still see him as a midfielder.

He is obviously talented enough to play midfield and even defense but he does not tackle, cannot track back and is a risk without strong midfield cover. Perhaps this is the only solution to the Yaya conundrum, play him upfront behind a striker with two attacking midfielders on either side then get solid unit of midfielders that can be at the center: Milner, Rodwell, and maybe bring in another top class player like, i dont know, people say Ferdinandinho but Im not sure.

Sorry mate, but Iniesta is the only one there who would be classed as "better". Fabregas and Schweinsteiger are nowhere near it.
In my opinion, they are. Vidal too.

Bazzmand Show said:
NipHolmes said:
Blueband Brother said:

Sorry mate, but Iniesta is the only one there who would be classed as "better". Fabregas and Schweinsteiger are nowhere near it.

People forget how good Fabregas wad at Arsenal.

As for the German Steven Gerrard, I'd have him over any CM in the world. He's the heartbeat of a Bayern side who are in line for the treble. 'Nowhere near it', wow, some statement that.

NipHolmes said:
kun said:
Blueband Brother said:
Woah woah woah, steady there. He may be better than two of them, but not Xavi or Schweinsteiger

There's a reason Barca sold him and Vidal is Juventus best player and Fabregas is an exceptional talent, just plays for a club with the best cm's I've seen in my lifetime.

Theres also a reason why Barcelona made contact with his agent last summer, about a return.

Bazzmand Show said:
NipHolmes said:
kun said:

Theres also a reason why Barcelona made contact with his agent last summer, about a return.

They played him at CB!

Listen. I can debate all day, he simply isn't getting into a midfield of Xavi or Iniesta. You know the two guys who boss midfield for Spain and Barca and are imo the main reason why those teams so successful.

He's better than Busquets but doesn't do the role as good. Vidal is immense every game. Schweinsteiger is a phenom and Fabregas and Mata could easily challenge him here. Wilshere is another in due time.

I say this as someone who loves Yaya too!

I'll go back to my "can't be arsed" label I mentioned early in this thread. He may be a world bearer when he is at his best but when he's not interested he just can't be bothered. And for all the bloody money he is on he should be interested 100% of the time.

And it may seem petty but I don't like players who also can't be arsed applauding the fans. He didn't bother last week as the rest of the team walked up to our end at Wembley. He stayed routed to the spot where he had gone down to feign a facial injury as the final whistle went. And today for the lap of honour he took the shortest route round the pitch he could, was more interested in his kids running around, hardly looked up at our end of the pitch and never applauded us once. He is so lucky to have the talent he has and so luck to earn the money he does and he should have more respect for us fans.

Blueband Brother said:
adrianr said:
Blueband Brother said:
That will be exceedingly difficult as he is still the best midfielder in the world and a unique talent.

However,his performance today and some games this season is absolutely criminal. He did not do his talent and the club any justice this season. Hopefully the new manager will sort him out because my frustrations have started to get the better of me, and serious contemplation about risk : benefit ratio has began to appear in the horizons of my mind.

With all due respect mate, Yaya really isn't the best midfielder in the world. What's more pertinent however is if he will remain, what sort of player is best to partner him with? Midfield, like central defence, needs good players, but they ultimately must form a superior unit.

I think just not having his starting place contractually obligated should see an upturn in performance but who knows.

Heh, fair enough. I'l be honest though, I'm not sure how you can consider him to be the top 5 midfielder in the world and go on to list his deficiencies, most of which are pretty critical for a good midfielder. This again though comes back to what I mean about being a unit of multiple players, and not just individual talent. Compare him with Busquets for example, the man who replaced him at Barca - He's more mobile, better stamina, better tackler, equally as good passer, but not as good getting forward and scoring crucial goals. Now which would you rather have in your team as a midfielder? I'd go with Busquets every single time. Because he's someone who's exceptionally good at something, and who can be paired with an opposite but complementary skill set. Dropping Yaya at Barca was one of the steps in the creation of one of the finest balanced club sides the world has ever seen. Even if we did what you say and play him as a support striker, is he really the best option in that position? Would he be better than Bale, for example? Or Hazard?

This is the critical problem with Yaya and why he (IMO) won't be in our best team. He's not as good as a deep lying playmaker as the best deep lying play makers, he's not as good as a defensive/holding midfielder as the best of those, and he's not as good as a attacking midfielders/support striker as the best of those. There was an article posted on here a little while back about the Yaya conundrum, which was shot down in flames, how can anyone criticise Yaya?! The man who scored the goals that won us the FA Cup?! But it hit the nail right on the head. He's a jack of all trades, but a master of none. And you have to pair him with a jack of all trades because to pair him with a speciality player will leave you short the opposite. That's why he was good with Barry (for a season at least) but we got dicked every time we came up against a properly assembled world class midfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.