Yes I am going to enjoy this thread.....Sven's signings

jay_mcfc said:
Ok cast your minds back to the summer of 2007. After a pretty poor season we sacked Pearce after one of the most boring football season in our history. We had a pretty poor squad and were in need of a total transformation. In came Sven and Thaksin with £40m to spend (that's less than we'll end up paying for one player soon enough, Sven had to re-build a squad with that). OK so here's where the money went:

Elano-Quality footballer, doesn't need any defending.
Geo-Free transfer, can't really lose. Showing now what a quality player he is.
Corluka- Sheer class and we got our money back for him.
Gelson- Showed some quality early doors, many people said he was captain material. £4m and still very young...judge is out but he'll go on to have a good career whether he's here or not.
Garrido-Quality 'footballer', young, new country and cost £1.5m...brilliant signing.
Bojinov- Can't say too much.
Bianchi- Showed glimpses of what he can do, clearly a very good striker but not suited to the premiership. I think we got back pretty much what we paid for him.
Petrov- Quality, should have won player of the year.

Then came January where Thaksin had clearly tightened the purse strings. We were desperate for strikers and a right winger. The right midfielder never came but Sven did spend around £9m on:

Caciedo-Young, big and strong. Written off early doors but now starting to show the kind of form that has you thinking he can make it. £5m was a lot but he could repay us.
Benjani-Desperate signing. Proven premiership quality. Flatters to deceive at times, not the most talented but works hard and pops up with important goals. Not the kind of signing the fans really wanted but beggars couldn't be choosers at the time.

So Sven spent less than £50m and brought in 10 players....that's peanuts in this day and age. From the squad we had under Pearce to what Sven produced in the space of 6 months was a brilliant achievement.

I still read on here that Sven has left Hughes a load of shit...this thread finally disproves those idiots.

Elano-Quality footballer, doesn't DO any defending. ;) He is quality, and is worth the money we paid, so, whilst he has obvious cons individually and in regards to being a team player, he has been a good signing.

Geo-Dont know why Sven didnt play him more often. Great tecnique, but didnt play so not exactly a good buy for us.

Corluka- Classy. Good buy.

Gelson- I've had enough foresight to not slag off any of our youngsters and Im goin to do the same here, but, with that said, he has to improve in almost every department, workrate aside, to compete.

Garrido- Whilst he has improved to some degree, I dont think he is a defender... the problem is he aint a winger. Needs to learn not to ball-watch so much if he has any hope of still being here in 2-3 years. Looks more of a wingback to me. For 1.5mill? probably worth it, but does that mean he is a good buy? I dont think so personally.

Bojinov- Can't say too much. Does look to have something about him from the very little we've seen.

Bianchi- A bad buy, obviously. Doesnt mean he is a bad player, but if you buy a player who isn't suited to the league you play in.. then its a poor decision.

Petrov- Agreed that he is the dogs bollox. Really missing him this year. Best player last season. Initially a Pearce buy tho, apparantly. Either way, our best signing for quite some time.

Caciedo-Looks to have something about him. Sven said he was one of the best south american talents and he'd need quite abit of time until we see the real Phil. Sven knows more about football than any of us and it looks like Big Phil could become a very astute ,Wenger-esque, signing. I really hope so.

Benjani- Panic buy. If we end up paying full whack then we have paid well over the odds. He's no spring chicken so cant see him improving all that much. Will always be grateful for THAT goal tho.

Good buys in bold, with the potential good buys in bold italics.

The best buy the club made tho was Sven himself. He put City back on the map, the same way KK did....but even moreso. Pearce and Royle kept us afloat.

mackenzie said:
Ah, so Pearces' reign was the most boring was it? ;-)

Only a couple of weeks ago you were saying Hughes' reign was the worst football you had seen at COMS.

Hahahaha dear oh dear you talk some shite. I've said a lot of things about Hughes and I stand by everything I've said. But if you want to go look back through my posts I never said it was the worst football at COMS and it isn't, not by a long shot. We've scored 24 goals at home in half a season compared with 10 in a full season under Pearce. Anyone would have to be barking mad to say such a thing.

er correct me if i m wrong, hasnt hughes spent twice the money sven spent and we are actually worse off, i wasn t a sven lover, but his record was much better than hughes

I would've been happy for Sven to stay on, however most of Sven's signings are unreliable & without Hughes signings & previous players we'd be stranded at the bottom of the league.

Almost all of them are peripheral players who rely on others to knit the team together. Take the academy players + Pearce, Royle, Hughes signings out & imo only Petrov would be really missed. Boj & Caicedo may prove to be good signings in the future but not yet.

While Sven was signing Elano, Bianchi, Gelson, Hughes was signing Santa Cruz, Bentley etc Harry picked up Diarra, then Crouch/ De Foe etc rather than Benjani etc. You could take most of Sven's signings out of the present squad without really weakening it.

jay_mcfc said:
mackenzie said:

Only a couple of weeks ago you were saying Hughes' reign was the worst football you had seen at COMS.

Hahahaha dear oh dear you talk some shite. I've said a lot of things about Hughes and I stand by everything I've said. But if you want to go look back through my posts I never said it was the worst football at COMS and it isn't, not by a long shot. We've scored 24 goals at home in half a season compared with 10 in a full season under Pearce. Anyone would have to be barking mad to say such a thing.
I am enjoying this thread as well.

jay_mcfc said:
mackenzie said:

Oh yes you did.

I'm a woman....I remember stuff like that. ;-)

Probably said in one of your hissy fits that you have now conveniently fogotten.

I'll have a look for it and let you know.

without doubt sven improved the squad no end and we did play some attractive football.all the players he bought were an improvment on what we had at the time but it wouldnt have taken much.if your rating them against the players we had then yes there all ok but against other teams good players here is my assesment for what its worth.
petrov-excellent player svens best signing would get into most premiership teams.
elano-average mostly, on occasion looks like he can be better than that .but only occasionly.
bojinov-who can say.
corluka-decent player would have kept him and still signed zab.
bianchi-good touch bt lightweight for the premiership,sven should have known that having watched so much english footie.
gelson-hes not good enough.will improve but not to the highest level.
geo-see elano.
big phil-not played enough to form an opinion yet.
benji-good honest player.
all in all a mixed bag but like i said earlier all were an improvment on what we had

Here you go jay

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94707&p=1414505&hilit=pearce+worst+hughes#p1414505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/vi ... s#p1414505</a>

mackenzie said:
Here you go jay

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94707&p=1414505&hilit=pearce+worst+hughes#p1414505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/vi ... s#p1414505</a>

Haha again I stand by that. I was talking about ONE half of football...and it was truly fucking awful!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.