Yes

Dreadful self indulgence like most prog bands. Even Rick agrees.
I like Yes fine and, worse, I like Rush, but you're right. As long as someone who likes these bands is keenly aware of the self-indulgence embedded within and doesn't ascribe too much worldly meaning to their noodlings, I say listen to them and enjoy some incredibly talented chaps going nuts for eight-plus minutes a track (especially Chris Squire).

I start to get more annoyed when I'm informed that Yes are somehow a "best" rock and roll band when their music had literally zero social relevance and precious little forward influence on how rock music evolved (other than helping spur the formation of a rash of bands who wanted to do the opposite of what Yes was doing).

I like Yes fine and, worse, I like Rush, but you're right. As long as someone who likes these bands is keenly aware of the self-indulgence embedded within and doesn't ascribe too much worldly meaning to their noodlings, I say listen to them and enjoy some incredibly talented chaps going nuts for eight-plus minutes a track (especially Chris Squire).

I start to get more annoyed when I'm informed that Yes are somehow a "best" rock and roll band when their music had literally zero social relevance and precious little forward influence on how rock music evolved (other than helping spur the formation of a rash of bands who wanted to do the opposite of what Yes was doing).
I saw Rush three times in the 70s. Got put off by their supposed political views and the fact no women liked rock music.

I saw Rush three times in the 70s. Got put off by their supposed political views and the fact no women liked rock music.
I know what you mean! That infamous NME hatchet job linking them via Ayn Rand to extreme right politics really upset the band, and coloured their views for many years, esp wrt to the family background of Geddy and Alex’s parents.

Their Yesshows album was and still is, a curious one for me. I’d first heard, and played a lot, their earlier triple live Yessongs album. For me there was never any doubt about either the track selection or quality of that record - it was just classic after classic.

The 1980 live album though, I just found such a poor comparison when I first heard it, and still have mixed feelings about it, though I have warmed to it more. My greatest live recording ever from them is the 1978 Wembley Empire Pool Friday Rock Show Radio 1 2-hour broadcast, yet the album that was supposed to sum up the 74-78 era was so weak by comparison. Devoting the best part of 2 sides to Ritual from Topographic was indulgent and then some. Added to Delerium taking another of the sides, it left so little room for anything else. Parallels and Don’t Kill the Whale were great, but not including Awaken was just beyond insanity. Silent Wings would've been fabulous too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.