Yes

I know what you mean! That infamous NME hatchet job linking them via Ayn Rand to extreme right politics really upset the band, and coloured their views for many years, esp wrt to the family background of Geddy and Alex’s parents.
Precisely. Peart was a big self-determinist but I personally think fundamentally apolitical (to the extent one can be so). Rand was like Lee — a child of Jews who fled persecution.

Not my cup of tea. IMO Relayer was their last proper album and Awaken their swan song. Anything they made since could have been made by thousands of other bands.
Awaken was indeed unique and my favourite amongst all their music, and I do enjoy Delerium too.

But tracks like Leave It, Owner, It Can Happen are also tracks that only that iteration of Yes could have created.

You might not like them, but it needed the combination of Rabin’s original 90124 songwriting, the added magical elements of chemistry that Squire, White & Anderson brought to the tracks, and then the Midas touch production of Trevor Horn to create that album. I appreciated we are both talking opinions here, but I’m fairly confident on this one in stating it really isn’t true to say a thousand bands could have come up with that album.

Not my cup of tea. IMO Relayer was their last proper album and Awaken their swan song. Anything they made since could have been made by thousands of other bands.
I tend to agree.
I love Yes of the 70s, when they sounded like Yes, when they had the classic line up. At that point they were the best band in the world for me. I would've been happy if they'd split after Relayer.
I didn't think they sounded like Yes after that. I largely stopped listening. All the comings and goings drove me mad.
Drama was a good album but it wasn't Yes for me.
I'm not knocking anyone for liking that period, it's just my opinion.

I liked the ABWH reformation of course.

A treat for anyone who loves the GFTO album; fabulous insight into how Awaken came together on here

Good watch. Just a pity the sound is a bit crappy. But that's unfortunately what we have to do with. All the Yes music from the golden era are rather badly produced on the albums. And it can't be explained by technical limitations of the time. Take for instance Supertramp or Steely Dan who made fabulous productions that sounds excellent on any high-end hifi to this day. Steve Wilson has re-engineered a lot of the albums with decent results but puts a bit of his own flavor in it. The original tapes of GFTO are lost from what I've read so there will not be attempts from him on that album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.