York Away

How times have changed.
Me and four of my mates (2 rags) all went to York away in 98. The tickets went on open sale as did the Walsall, Blackpool and Lincoln away games.

Caveman said:
Skashion said:
Caveman said:
Surely the game after York away is the one of most significance because it was only after the York game we'd slipped to our lowest ever position.
If you want to be pedantic, it would be the next game for which tickets went on sale, after our lowest ever league position.
Good point!

We should change "York away" to "in the queue, in the rain and cold, with no coat on, for tickets for the x?x?x game".
And it really was queueing up at about 5am on a Saturday morning with a pocket full of ticket stubs, none of your loyalty points and online purchasing bollocks then. I reckon we are talking Blackpool or Walsall away, most likely as tickets will have been sold for Wrexham before the York match.<br /><br />-- Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm --<br /><br />
mcfc_blueboy said:
How times have changed.
Me and four of my mates (2 rags) all went to York away in 98. The tickets went on open sale as did the Walsall, Blackpool and Lincoln away games.

Open sale, are you sure? My memory of that season was needing ticket stubs from previous away games.

Sky Blue said:
oakiecokie said:
Anyone remember York away in the League Cup,around the early 1970`s when the 3 day week hit us ?? Certain it was a 1.00 or 2.00 pm kick off,midweek.
Anyway no I didn`t go to "the York" game but did attend the League Cup one.

Can't recall that one but I remember the Coventry game on a midweek afternoon. Had to have a long school dinner hour for that!

I'm sure the semi first leg against Plymouth from 74 LC campaign was also an afternoon kick off, midweek.

The alternative York away......League cup 1973/74 season , had to skip school , midweek , afternoon kick off due to no floodlight usage , strikes , 3 day week. We drew and won the replay. Then beat Coventry 4 -2 at the academy , again skip school, mid week afternoon kick off , before beating Plymouth over 2 legs in the semi , on the way to Wembley. Big favourites in the final and battered Wolves, but lost 2-1, their keeper Pearce ( think he once played for Mossley ), had a blinder - Bell for us , Hibbert and Richards for them, from memory. Seems like yesterday !!!!!!!!

My two mates had no previous ticket stubs as that was there first game.
Wrexham was on the boxing day and with no trains running and me being too young to drive, my dad drove me and my mate and went to the pictures behind the ground to pass his time by.

baildon blue said:
I was working that day we lost to that great York team in 1998.But i did get to 3 away days that season Lincoln Blackpool and Preston.3 aways and no wins
Notts county, Oldham, Blackpool, Preston and wembley were my away day that year. My dad went to most of them including York and Wrexham.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Timmmmahhhh said:
I have been meaning to ask for a long time.

When was York away and what was the importance?

I only converted from a Chelsea fan in 2008/9 so I'm a little unsure as to the reference?

York away is so 'passé'. Top Blues did Swindon home!!
There speaks the word of truth.
Only 80,001 of us there on that day.

mcfc_blueboy said:
My two mates had no previous ticket stubs as that was there first game.
Wrexham was on the boxing day and with no trains running and me being too young to drive, my dad drove me and my mate and went to the pictures behind the ground to pass his time by.

I suppose they probably will have ended up on open sale for the matches that had a decent sized away section. York, Wrexham and Blackpool had pretty reasonable away allocations as I remember, particularly Blackpool. I went to most aways that season and some of the matches were very difficult to get tickets for. As I said, my abiding memory is of queueing at 5am in the dark on Saturday mornings with ticket stubs, it was a fucking nightmare. I was paranoid/a bit obsessive and did that regardless of the allocation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.