Yorkshire Cricket Club

I‘ve no doubt that Azeem Rafiq was the victim of racist behaviour whilst playing for YCCC but I’m also now in no doubt that Azeem Rafiq is a racist himself and I’m not interested in anything he has to say anymore because the guy is nothing but a hypocrite.

My experiences are what lead me to hold this opinion of him and to be as critical of him as I have. So yes, as I said, I DO believe what I believe.

Third time now you've accused me of "lying". It seems your "go to" comment when you've been backed into a corner. Here's a tip, in future just say "fair enough" and then stop replying.

You look less of a tit that way.

You've not backed anyone into a corner. I've accused you of lying because you keep doing it. It's become pretty clear that you struggle to argue with what people actually say, and instead invent straw men.

No one denied your experiences. No one even mentioned your experiences.

What I said, very clearly, is that I don't think you genuinely hold the view that every whistle blower should search through their memory and publicly disclose every bad opinion or prejudice they've had before reporting something.

I don't believe you hold that view because it's patently absurd, and the only person who'd want that to be the case would be someone who wanted to suppress all whistleblowers in every walk of life.

You've not backed anyone into a corner. I've accused you of lying because you keep doing it.

No one denied your experiences. No one even mentioned your experiences.
You claim I don't believe what i'm saying. I'm telling you I do, based on my own experiences. You call me a liar, therefore denying that my experiences are truthful.

Why would I, as a Jew, not be as angry about this as I should be?

You claim I don't believe what i'm saying. I'm telling you I do, based on my own experiences. You call me a liar, therefore denying that my experiences are truthful.

Why would I, as a Jew, not be as angry about this as I should be?

Why would anyone, no matter what religion or race, think that every whistle blower should search through their memory and publicly disclose every bad opinion or prejudice they've had before reporting something?

No one would. So no, I don't believe it's a genuine opinion.

Why would anyone, no matter what religion or race, think that every whistle blower should search through their memory and publicly disclose every bad opinion or prejudice they've had before reporting something?

No one would. So no, I don't believe it's a genuine opinion.
I see. He's raised an issue of racism so his former anti-semitism shouldn't be criticised?

I‘ve no doubt that Azeem Rafiq was the victim of racist behaviour whilst playing for YCCC but I’m also now in no doubt that Azeem Rafiq is a racist himself and I’m not interested in anything he has to say anymore because the guy is nothing but a hypocrite.
You genuinely think those couple of messages from 10 years ago make him a racist?

I see. He's raised an issue of racism so his former anti-semitism shouldn't be criticised?

Again you've invented a straw man.

Nowhere did I say he shouldn't be criticised. Criticise away. I myself have condemned it as racist and euated him to a gang member turning evidence. Criticism is more than fair.

The idea he should have remembered that he believed antisemitic stereotypes when he was 19 and then publicly disclosed them before reporting anyone else is what I've taken issue with. Or did you forget that's what you said he should have done?

It has been widely criticised. I haven’t really seen anyone defending his comments.

A couple of prominent Jewish spokespeople seem willing to accept his apology though, which I think is a positive development:

Claudia Mendoza, co-chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council, said Rafiq had "undoubtedly" learned a lot since 2011.

"There's no doubt that this is massively awkward for Azeem Rafiq," Mendoza wrote on Twitter.

"But he's taken full ownership, apologised, and undoubtedly - through his own experiences - learnt a lot about racism since then."

Marie van der Zyl, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said: "Azeem Rafiq has suffered terribly at the hands of racists in cricket so he will well understand the hurt this exchange will cause to Jews who have supported him.

"His apology certainly seems heartfelt and we have no reason to believe he is not completely sincere."

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.