Your first City match?

Started going in the late 50's and can't for the life of me remember my first match.

The match I do remember was the 2nd May 1960 when Burnley beat us at Maine Road to clinch the League title by one point from Wolves, all the crowd were supporting Burnley.

I'd been badgering for months, but dad didn't want to attend a game that might be spoilt by hooliganism.
Eventually, in April 1971 he chose City v Chelsea (1-1).

Not sure, if Chelsea had a different reputation in those days, or whether dad was simply clueless about football culture. I suspect it was the latter.

Some European game mid November 1969 apparently, I say apparently as I was about a month old at the time. Makes it hard to pin down your first game when you were taken as a baby to loads. but I usually use the first one I have very clear memories of and that must have been early in the 74/75 season and we mullered West Ham - can’t remember the score but tuart was my favourite player from that day on so I’m guessing he scored

A friendly at home v Oldham 1986 , my mate put his hands over my eyes as we went up the white tunnel on the kippax and said get ready for it, he removed them as we walked out and it was like wow fuck me, proper blew me away.
Don't remember the score but remember the city fans doing 'baaa' 'baaa' noises at the Oldham fans nearly all through the game.

1971 the 3-3 derby don't remember much about the game but the crowd was just hypnotic to a 10 year old boy the noise the fighting the crush, stood between kippax and North stand right at the top dad sat me on the wall I remember a rag trying to climb up to escape getting twatted and my dad pushing him back ha ha

As a an almost three year old I was taken to see City win the title at Newcastle in 1968. Next year I will have been going to see God’s Own Football Team for 50 years at the age of 53. Probably helps that I grew up in Moss Side and went with my Dad and his mates to every game growing up. My Dad passed away a couple of years ago and when in hospital reminded me that I had been there to see the great City team win at Newcastle.

March 1983 in a home defeat to Ipswich.

Last game of the season, a “typical City” thing happened. Needing to not lose in the last game to stay up, we conceded to Luton on 85 mins and David Pleat skipped across Maine Road in his slip ons.

34 years later I’m still proud to hold my ST. Footie truly is a drug.

Last edited:
First game I can remember was Grimsby 1984 first home game of the season. Won 3-0 but typical
city lost the return 4-1 I think.

Funny was reading the programme this week with Peter Swales saying how wages/fees were a thing of the past in football. David Phillips how he thought the transfer to City would not go as Plymouth wanted 200k and it would price him out and Billy McNeill saying what a great signing Tony Cunningham would be. Different world

55/56 season I think. I was 6 my dad sat me on the wall behind the goal at the scoreboard end. I think it was the home derby but don’t remember to much of the game. Anyone know if we won?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.